Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail

Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Enjoyed this hike even though it was hot!! We went in the morning so not too bad. Well maintained path. Last part was the best! Walking up the rocks!

Easy family hike, lots of people.

Easy, short trail that is doable for anyone. The falls are most active in the spring during the snow melt.

Nice trail that will take you up to 7000 ft

Great views of both Fort Collins and RMNP from the top.

This was the first time my 16 year old daughter and I have gone hiking, but my 18 year old son has been on several CO mountain trips. We managed just fine with trail running shoes, alternating walking and jogging, so I would guess that this is more easy-moderate than moderate-hard.Then again, we're all three long, long distance runners, so that could have helped a bit. We veered off and did some rock climbing, as well. Beautiful views, very quiet on a Monday afternoon, and overall a great introduction to hiking for us.

This trail is really beautiful! It passes by the falls, as well as a number of stream sightings that feed the falls. The Spring Creek portion of this trail was closed yesterday(no specific reason listed), so we had to take the soderburg trail instead which also offered some amazing views and intersects with the Horsetooth rock trail. When we got up to the top of the rock there was an intense fog rolling in and out around us. . .kind of gave the illusion that the mountains we're breathing. 3 1/2 hours start to finish with some time spent on top. Well worth the $6 entry fee!

I started late - 4pm on 4/07/18. A few people on the way to the falls but not a single soul after. Great weather; low 40's to start high 30's at finish. Trail was in great shape and this hike was far more rewarding than I expected.
After the falls, I started up Springcreek only to be turned around about a 1/4 mile up at the Soderberg connection: springcreek closed til the wathan connection. That turned out to be a blessing as I backtracked and took Stout (going from memory here) to Herrington back to wathan over to Horsetooth Rock. loved all the scenery esp. wathan and Horsetooth Rock. finished after 8 using a headlamp for a bit. def. coming back for some more.

Pretty good views, would recommend hiking boots, or something with some ankle support. We saw several deer, but the falls were barely flowing (not sure what the normal rate is though)

Love this hike! We do it quite often. Go early to avoid the crowds

What an awesome hike! We were planning on doing the whole loop shown above, but a portion of the trail was closed (3/24) where Wathan meets Spring Creek. We used Herrington/Stout to get back to the parking lot, but it did end up being a very long hike. Worth it for the views!

The trail was awesome, this app sucks. I'm not a stupid person, but I've yet to get it to actually record something correctly.

The falls were running and we were able to get a quick run in before the rain showers. A great short run with incline!

Wonderful views and a easy trail. Perfect for kids!

This spur of the moment hike was fun, but we look forward to hiking the area again when we are more prepared. Beautiful sites. Even stumbled across a herd of deer!

Amazing hike today, the weather was beautiful and there was barely any foot traffic which was really nice. Will never not love hiking Horsetooth.

Nice hike with our son from CSU ON Sunday. Parking lot full, but only waited 2 minutes for someone to leave(Ranger cobtrolled). No spikes needed, poles were a great help. Beautiful views of Horsetooth Reservoir and great Mountain Vistas from the Rock. Took the easier, more gentle slope down the road, Great views and much easier on the knees!

Great hike with nice views. Parking was difficult, very few options for where to park because all lots were fulll

Nice hike. I wouldn't consider the hike too difficult. On the easy/moderate side. A little ice on the trail. Since it was nice day today, the trails were a bit busy. Not overly crowded. Nice views of from the tops of the ridge. As we suspected, the falls are not running yet. Make sure you wear mud ready shoes as there is a lot of mud and ice on the shady side. Hiking poles may not be a bad idea for the not so sure footed.

Good early morning hike

Fun hike! Beautiful to get to the top and watch the sunrise

Trail is a nice little challenge. If going out in the next few days, I suggest using studded boots or crampons. It was getting pretty packed and slick for a good portion of the trail. There isn't enough snow for snowshoeing.

Fun loop

Great hike. My 9 year old son and I did it today. Nice views of foco and to the west.

Awesome hike.

I went twice because it was so beautiful with snow.

Great hike and great views!

Great trail to get out and walk around. saw some deer on the trail. would definitely recommend.