Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail

Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Perfect hiking weather today and only encountered a few other hikers on the trail. We took south ridge on the way up to Horsetooth Rock and I would say it was a moderate hike. The summit is gorgeous with views in all directions. I would definitely do this hike again.

Hiked all the way to the top of the rocks and the views were stunning!!! Highly recommend this hike. There was enough people to not feel isolated but not so many that you felt overcrowded.

“Easy/moderate/hard are relative terms. I’m not a great biker, but I am a stubborn persistent hiker. This was Harder than I expected- especially at the end. I finished, but my feet are paying for it. Warm September day- drank all my water plus some. Views were beautiful and so was the company. Glad to say I have completed an iconic Fort Collins hike.

Perfect hike! Good mountain feel for being so close to town. Usual routine is to go up to the rock and go down the falls trail afterwards as a cool down. A bit of scrambling on the rock trail. Use caution when it's snowy/icy or during the night as it's easy to get off trail in certain areas. The falls look the best when runoff is well underway.

Lots of great views!
We hiked up to Horsetooth Rock starting at 8:40 AM on a Sunday. The parking lot was almost full as we arrived. $6 to park and in we go.
The hike starts along gradual switchbacks and slowly gets steeper, picking up rocks and wood steps. It doesn’t get difficult until you’re near the top and climb up the rock itself. That requires hands.
All the way up you get views over Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins and the plains. At the top, the view is 360 with views out to a big Rocky.
Nice trail for families, groups and going further into the hillls.

Trail is tough but worth all the effort for the view at the top. Look forward to hiking it again in the future.

Hiked 6.9 miles, took us about 4 hours. Took the falls route and then cut across and headed up to the rock. It was about 4 miles to the rock coming from that way. Unless you want to get in your steps I wouldn’t take the falls route unless it’s the time of the year where water is actually there...no water this time of year. Saw 5 deer and a rattle snake, lots of wildlife, beautiful trails, and so many options and directions to take. Highly recommend grabbing a map before you head up.

Great hike! It took my wife, daughter, a friend, and me 6.4 miles to complete the route. My device recorded a 1876.1 elevation gain. It was a little longer than we expected but a great hike. Beautiful views with wildlife. We saw plenty of deer, chipmunks, and a bear hiding in a tree. Advice for others, bring and use your sunscreen.

Great hike - I was able to bring my dog and she loved it! I will say I’m a bit out of shape but I was very tired and breathing hard at times, so this felt more difficult than I planned. That being said, I will definitely do it again!

Beautiful hike! Beautiful views!

Awesome trail! some incredible views. Took about four hours at a relatively quick pace stopping in a few locations along the way and taking some of the small pocket trails during the hike. Even saw a mother dear and baby deer and they just stood there eating while I videoed them.
A couple of steeper parts that will work your legs a bit but nothing too technical or complicated, unless you want to climb up on top of some of the larger formations at the top and along the way.
Make sure you bring some water and energy bar.

My girlfriend and I loved it! If you’re looking for water falls there were none this time of year (August) took is 6.9 Miles to do the whole thing

Beautiful hike! The view is amazing

Absolutely fantastic. Wonderful hike with rewarding scenes and serenity from top of the tooth. Lots of people in the parking lot, nobody on top. Everyone scattering could have been due to periods of heavy rain and maaaybe some lightning. Stayed away from summit until storm cleared. Spectacular!

Liked it

Did this trail about a week ago with a large group and absolutely loved it. Trail isn't too difficult until the very end going up the actual rock which requires a very small amount of climbing.

We did encounter a medium sized rattlesnake on the trail as well, so be on the lookout. The area is full of toads and deer as well.

The top of horsetooth was truly breathtaking. It offers a nearly 360 degree view of everything and the sunset was gorgeous. Definitely worth it for an evening hike, just bring a headlamp for the return trip. For some people there was no cell service, so if you're an out of towner like me, make sure you have a ride arranged prior to hiking, or at least someone who can hotspot you. Would love to go back for a sunrise hike!

It was beautiful, it didn’t take long to do. I wouldn’t get excited if you planned on seeing a waterfall, it’s more like the leaky hose someone mentioned before... but views are worth it.

Great trails leading to Horsetooth mountain peak and great views! The waterfall this time of year isn’t full but a great hike round trip was 6.5 miles

Great trails and amazing views. Doesn't take too long if you keep a good pace.

wow

the scenery was very pretty, but we had actually gone to see the waterfall. unfortunately it look like somebody was running a water hose over a rock.

good hike, its not very hard. we went today in the light rain and still wasnt disappointed. i didnt go under the waterfall but I reccommend it if u have extra clothes :)

When reading reviews, I find it helpful to know what the stamina level is of the person that's reviewing, so I get a rough idea of how long it will take me. it does me no good to read Horsetooth Rock took someone three hours, when I don't know that that person just moved from the coast and was towing six children all under the age of 5. So for those of you that find this helpful, I run a 9-minute mile. I did this hike alone with one or two minimal breaks. It took me 55 minutes to get to the very tippy-top of Horsetooth Rock. The views won't disappoint, and you'll want to spend some time there. On my way down, I took the Soderberg Trail and followed that to the Spring Creek Trail and turned right to see Horsetooth falls on my way back to the trailhead. It's longer that way and took me roughly another hour, at a brisk jogging pace. Started at 9:45, and ended at noon (spent 15 min at the top).

It was a great hike. We took South ridge trail up and unfortunately did not it make it to falls. on the way down. The trails are a little confusing definitely study the trails before you go up. The top is pretty tough you definitely have to be ready to scale some rocks. We hiked 7 miles total. There is a water fountain at the trailhead, even a bowl fountain for dogs!

Amazing views at top of rocks!! Loved this hike hard enough to be a good workout but not too hard for me. Wouldn’t bring dog to the very top.

It was a great trail to take my kids on. My daughters loved climbing on the rocks. The view from the top of horsetooth was amazing!

Really easy, but we usually encounter snakes, so not my favorite.

This is a really cool hike. My friend and I were looking for something to do in the evening. With horsetooth rock only being a 30 minute drive out of Fort Collins. It was the perfect option. the scenery was very cool and the local deer are very friendly. It's not a hard hike, however when getting to the horsetooth you do have to scramble up the rocks which could be difficult for some. Overall a very fun hike and much recommended!

Great hike. The first 3/4 has no shade and today was clear skies and 84.After that beautiful views, breezy, well maintained trails and more shade.