Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail

Horsetooth Falls and Horsetooth Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail, wildlife on the trail. One of our favorites.

Was a beautiful day and some mud in snow in areas. Some trails were closed but great views throughout.

Half of it was closed and they still charge $9. Beautiful hike but wanted to do the entire trail.

My go to for a sweet combo of trail running and rock scrambling !

Both parking lots full before 10 AM. Doesn’t matter what time of the year, you have to be there EARLY on the weekends!

Hiked to the top of the Horsetooth today. What a beautiful hike. On the way up you’ll get wonderful views of Fort Collins, the reservoir and the plains, and once you reach the top you’ll get great views of Longs Peak and the Rockies. If it’s clear enough you can even see Pikes Peak in the south. It’s icy below the tooth, so be prepared to butt-slide in a couple of places on your way down. It’s still passable without spikes, but just watch your step when you get within spitting distance of the tooth.

Was moderate. Only a couple of steep areas up to the falls. Only went to the top part of the falls can’t see much from there but the pool where the fall starts. Didn’t get to Horsetooth rock. Will try that later. Saw stellar jay, magpie and raven.

My first real “hike” in Colorado. At the start of the trail I saw so much dog poop. I am glad it wasn’t all over the trail. Once you head up in elevation the pine trees start appearing. So scenic. The waterfall was frozen but I bet in the spring it’s stunning. I’ll be back.

Excellent views; great introduction to Fort Collins.

This was our first time to hike Horsetooth and it was beautiful. I took my 7 and 10 year old and we all made it to the top with no issues. There are a few slick spots along the way but we easily navigated around them. Views from the top are beautiful and I’ll be back for sure

This was a great hike. It was so icy and hard to navigate. I will definitely go back when it gets warmer.

Perfect hiking weather today and only encountered a few other hikers on the trail. We took south ridge on the way up to Horsetooth Rock and I would say it was a moderate hike. The summit is gorgeous with views in all directions. I would definitely do this hike again.

Hiked all the way to the top of the rocks and the views were stunning!!! Highly recommend this hike. There was enough people to not feel isolated but not so many that you felt overcrowded.

“Easy/moderate/hard are relative terms. I’m not a great hiker, but I am a stubborn persistent hiker. This was Harder than I expected- especially at the end. I finished, but my feet are paying for it. Warm September day- drank all my water plus some. Views were beautiful and so was the company. Glad to say I have completed an iconic Fort Collins hike.

Perfect hike! Good mountain feel for being so close to town. Usual routine is to go up to the rock and go down the falls trail afterwards as a cool down. A bit of scrambling on the rock trail. Use caution when it's snowy/icy or during the night as it's easy to get off trail in certain areas. The falls look the best when runoff is well underway.

Lots of great views!
We hiked up to Horsetooth Rock starting at 8:40 AM on a Sunday. The parking lot was almost full as we arrived. $6 to park and in we go.
The hike starts along gradual switchbacks and slowly gets steeper, picking up rocks and wood steps. It doesn’t get difficult until you’re near the top and climb up the rock itself. That requires hands.
All the way up you get views over Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins and the plains. At the top, the view is 360 with views out to a big Rocky.
Nice trail for families, groups and going further into the hillls.

Trail is tough but worth all the effort for the view at the top. Look forward to hiking it again in the future.

Hiked 6.9 miles, took us about 4 hours. Took the falls route and then cut across and headed up to the rock. It was about 4 miles to the rock coming from that way. Unless you want to get in your steps I wouldn’t take the falls route unless it’s the time of the year where water is actually there...no water this time of year. Saw 5 deer and a rattle snake, lots of wildlife, beautiful trails, and so many options and directions to take. Highly recommend grabbing a map before you head up.

Great hike! It took my wife, daughter, a friend, and me 6.4 miles to complete the route. My device recorded a 1876.1 elevation gain. It was a little longer than we expected but a great hike. Beautiful views with wildlife. We saw plenty of deer, chipmunks, and a bear hiding in a tree. Advice for others, bring and use your sunscreen.

Great hike - I was able to bring my dog and she loved it! I will say I’m a bit out of shape but I was very tired and breathing hard at times, so this felt more difficult than I planned. That being said, I will definitely do it again!

Beautiful hike! Beautiful views!

Awesome trail! some incredible views. Took about four hours at a relatively quick pace stopping in a few locations along the way and taking some of the small pocket trails during the hike. Even saw a mother dear and baby deer and they just stood there eating while I videoed them.
A couple of steeper parts that will work your legs a bit but nothing too technical or complicated, unless you want to climb up on top of some of the larger formations at the top and along the way.
Make sure you bring some water and energy bar.

My girlfriend and I loved it! If you’re looking for water falls there were none this time of year (August) took is 6.9 Miles to do the whole thing

Beautiful hike! The view is amazing

Absolutely fantastic. Wonderful hike with rewarding scenes and serenity from top of the tooth. Lots of people in the parking lot, nobody on top. Everyone scattering could have been due to periods of heavy rain and maaaybe some lightning. Stayed away from summit until storm cleared. Spectacular!

Liked it