Learn more

Horsethief Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(358)
Pike National Forest

Horsethief Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Colorado Springs: From Colorado Springs, take Highway 24, through Woodland Park, toDivide. Turn south on Highway 67 and drive 8 miles until you see a closed tunnel.Parking is available on the other side of the closed tunnel.

Nice trail- one of our favorites so far in the area. A little steep at first but worth it for the scenery.

This was a great trail. Saw lots of dogs. Initial incline was a bit strap but slow and steady will get you up to the top. The traffic was a bit loud to start but it soon faded and you could hear the creek below. The trail was a bit hard to follow at the end but off trail was fun too!!! The waterfall was so pretty and the hike up the rock was very much worth the view!!!

A nice trail for nature walks. It leads to either the Crags or Pancake Rocks or even Devils Playground. The initial ascent is the only challenging piece that I can remember, and it's not terribly challenging.

Overall nice trail with moderate elevation gain. Nice spot to rest at the top of the falls before hiking back down. I would qualify the kid friendly tag on this hike as for older kids, as it was a pretty tough hike for my 3 year old and we ended up carrying her out near the end.

Great trail to test your elevation acclimation. Came from Missouri and this was the first trail I hiked. Great intro trail with a good incline at the start. The stream and falls do no like like they typically are very big, but it was still beautiful. Older kids would do fine on it as well. Easy to follow and not crowded. I did not see a soul until I was headed back to the trailhead. Got to the parking lot a little after 8 am and there was plenty of space.

The beginning incline is no joke! The trail takes you through the woods to a pretty little waterfall.

Trail is pretty easy to follow the whole way. The other reviews weren't kidding about trek poles are a must. I made it to the tree like and where the Boulder field is. I couldn't go any further with my dog, but I feel if you can make it that far the worst is behind you.

Not sure how this trail is listed as 6 miles.... we did out and back and clocked in at 9 miles. A great challenge, hard to follow once you hit the boulder field. We got caught in a storm on the way down and were wiped by the end of our trip. Great views from the top, come ready for your legs to burn.

Great hike. large incline at first. Took 1.5 hrs to hike

This was a workout, but scenery was beautiful! It is a pretty steep trail to start, but when it does level out, it’s a wide open forest trail...so serene, and very worth the hike! We came on a Monday afternoon, and the trail was pretty empty...passed a couple people, but that was it!

Had a fantastic late afternoon, post-storm bike today. The trail is steepest in the first .25 miles, just stick with it and it levels out into a very well maintained, easy trail. I would do this again and probably tack on the trail to Pancake Rock too.

Enjoyed hike with Watson the dog last month. Nice place to picnic and just relax.

Falls were disappointing, barely trickling and not very high. I'd skip the falls and take a right at the Pancake Rocks trail a half mile before the falls. Gorgeous rock formations and a panoramic view of the valley, a much steeper trail, but so worth it.

The first 0.6-0.7 miles is pretty tough. If you (and your kids...ours are 10, 8, and 5) then the rest of it is easy. The falls were unimpressive to be honest but there were nice views of the mountains on the way up.

steep going up and still muddy in some places but absolutely gorgeous. lots of snow still by the falls but a great hike if your not up to doing pancake rocks

I love the divide area. The trail started out steep but leveled off for the second half of the hike. The trail is snow packed still. I would recommend spiked of some kind, but not necessary. I didn’t wear any the entire way up and was fine. I did wear some simple slip on spikes on the way down. I think if careful, would be fine without them. The trail was not busy on a Thursday morning, we saw only a handful of people. So it is a good trail to get out without too many people. The falls was iced/snowed over still, so nothing to see at the end yet.

icy

The beginning of the trail was tough for us, but once we got acclimated to the elevation it got a little easier. I did not have spikes but my husband did and they were helpful (but not necessary). We came the day after a decent snow fall but the trail was easily visible. The falls were frozen over, but the trail was lovely. Gaiters and spikes would be a good idea in winter.

We walked this on 11 Jan amd played off trail with snowshoes. The trail.is. nicely compacted and so spikes would be good but probably not necessary. The falls are completely frozen over and not visible.

icy

Nice trail, although falls were underwhelming - maybe nicer in the spring or summer. Not too icy but lots of snow. Definitely need traction!!

Snowy but packed down in trail. Not a lot of views but peaceful. Want to come back in summer.

Horsethief trail head is right of Highway 67. There is an abandoned train tunnel from back in the gold rush days. The first part of the trail is a bit tricky if you don't breathe well at altitude. It is so worth the climb! My kids really like it, and they like stopping for a snack along the way.

Beautiful trail not a soul in sight. Completely covered in snow. I managed fine with microspikes.