Horsethief Falls Trail

Horsethief Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Colorado Springs: From Colorado Springs, take Highway 24, through Woodland Park, toDivide. Turn south on Highway 67 and drive 8 miles until you see a closed tunnel.Parking is available on the other side of the closed tunnel.

Super easy trail if you’re a regular hiker and used to elevation (around 9k feet). My only complaint is apparently a lot of people bring their dogs up here and don’t clean up after them.

Amazing trail! Totally underestimated the beginning though it kicks butt. Fortunately the steep incline really one lasted about three quarters of the first mile after that it mellows out some. It does have lots of small loose gravel so bring something with traction and watch out on the way down. The waterfall itself was gorgeous and you can get up next to it if you’re willing to climb up some. Only took us about an hour and a half to hike there and back by we spent probably an hour around the waterfall taking pictures and exploring.

We hiked this while visiting in Colorado for the weekend. The initial hike up is intense but doable. For someone not acclimated to the altitude it was a bit tough but by pacing myself it was fine. The trail does level out close to a mile for a short distance, then continues up to the falls.

The trails are well marked and easy to identify the turn offs for the alternate trails to Pancake Rock and Horsethief Park. The trail had individuals and groups hiking with dogs and small children but was not crowded.

The entire trail up and back is close to 3 miles and took about an hour and a half. We took one large bottle of water each and that was good for our hike.

Will definitely do this hike again.

My wife and I just moved to Teller County and this was our first hike in the area and of the season.

We went on Saturday 5/26 (Memorial Day weekend) the parking lot and road were full but the trail did not seem crowded at all. Lots of families with kids - love seeing them starting young!!

As described, the initial ascent provides some challenge with the elevation gain but overall a low/moderate level of difficulty trail. It’s a great beginner trail or to get back into hiking shape!! The waterfall was still frozen but still worth the trek.

We only brought a 32 ounce bottle of water each which was plenty. We both wore trail running shoes and had no issues with terrain.

Pretty steep in the beginning but do-able. Short trail with a pretty waterfall at the end. Nice and relaxing. If you go early, you will hardly see any people

Very steep and difficult right off the bat.Trail was very muddy in some parts and still quite a bit of snow. The view from the top is amazing! Unfortunately, no actual falls as they were buried under snow. We could hear the rushing water, but never actually saw any. A wonderful woman directed us over to an amazing lookout after a steep but short rock ascent-made the whole hike worth it and I so appreciate her.

I love this Trail gone on it many times. I only wish people would keep their dogs on the leash and pick up after them as there is dog poop all over the trail. love to take my dogs on the Trail but never have them off leash. met some people on the hike who had their dog off-leash they didn't even notice that their dog had turned around and went the other way until I said something. then the lady got mad because I said she needs to keep her dog on the leash. otherwise beautiful Trail.in the winter it's covered in ice and the views are well worth the hike up. nice place to have a picnic

Beautiful short hike....falls are the perfect place for a picnic..

Loved this trail. Beautiful falls at the top. Nice if you just have an hour or two.

light snow and ice, falls and creek completely iced over. just below freezing at the falls, 45 at the trailhead.

Please respect the trail rules and keep dogs on leash. We passed 3 people today with dogs off leash and I️t was extremely frustrating. Our dog panics when others are off leash and she is confined to a leash. She actually got tangled and fell off the side of the mountain after someone didn’t have their pet on a leash. She flipped and slid 30 feet down while tangled. Of course the people who had their dog off leash didn’t even stop to help. Your endangering other people and animals in these snowy and slick conditions.

Nice, tree-covered trail that isn’t too difficult for being around 10,000 ft. Falls are partially frozen around this time of year but still beautiful!

Absolutely wonderful! Fresh snow fall made the views extra special!

Beautiful!

Easy, tree covered hike to the falls.

Beautiful hike. Went in the early spring and the falls were frozen over, but loved seeing them that way!

Easy, relaxing hike. Saw four young mountain goats near the entrance to the trail. Beautiful forest the whole way.

Our first hike up at this sort of altitude (just under 10,000ft I think) and it was a great intro. The first few hundred metres were tough but there were some good views throughout and the falls at the end was nice. Got there early and there was plenty of parking but it was very busy by the time we left.

This trail moves through Spruce and Fir forests giving it good shade for the hike. At the end of the trail there is a waterfall and the trail travels along a stream for about a mile of the hike. Trail 360 on YouTube

Did this trail today for the first time... nice easy hike up to the falls for some great pictures and a good spot to relax. Not too busy, and most groups had friendly dogs with them. Nice shaded forest hike most of the way up. On the way back down the trail we stopped at Horsethief Park (the prairie area off to the right) and spotted a large young bull moose in the tall grass about 80-100 yards away... incredible sight... wish I could have got my camera out before he spotted us and trotted off down into the valley.

The first 0.5 mi are fine, no great views and not the best terrain (sloped to the side). However, once past this part the trail is well maintained and moderate difficulty. The falls are not huge but a really nice place to relax, have lunch and decide if pressing on is on the schedule for the future.

Beautiful waterfall. Very short hike. Came with my little sisters ages 9 & 12.

Loved this hike. It was a bit muddy but the moisture allows for tons of wild mushrooms. The waterfall hike was shirt so we took the park trail which was an entirely different ecosystem but equally as beautiful.

Beautiful. Horse thief falls is a lovely way to end pancake rock trail. I was so happy to see not a piece of littler along the trails. Respectful hikers with their dogs.

Steep climb, but the view was worth it!

Challenging at first, but the trail evens out and leads you to a beautiful waterfall!

Beautiful, challenging and really perfect hike. Can't wait to do it again

Found this great little hike for the family. It was the perfect distance for my two and five year old with a fun waterfall to explore at the end.

Very clean trail, lots of shade and not too much foot traffic.Great trail for kids.

very good hike that levels out towards the end and has some amazing views. can also hit pancake rock on your way back.