Horsethief Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(326)
Pike National Forest

Horsethief Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Colorado Springs: From Colorado Springs, take Highway 24, through Woodland Park, toDivide. Turn south on Highway 67 and drive 8 miles until you see a closed tunnel.Parking is available on the other side of the closed tunnel.

Falls were disappointing, barely trickling and not very high. I'd skip the falls and take a right at the Pancake Rocks trail a half mile before the falls. Gorgeous rock formations and a panoramic view of the valley, a much steeper trail, but so worth it.

The first 0.6-0.7 miles is pretty tough. If you (and your kids...ours are 10, 8, and 5) then the rest of it is easy. The falls were unimpressive to be honest but there were nice views of the mountains on the way up.

steep going up and still muddy in some places but absolutely gorgeous. lots of snow still by the falls but a great hike if your not up to doing pancake rocks

I love the divide area. The trail started out steep but leveled off for the second half of the hike. The trail is snow packed still. I would recommend spiked of some kind, but not necessary. I didn’t wear any the entire way up and was fine. I did wear some simple slip on spikes on the way down. I think if careful, would be fine without them. The trail was not busy on a Thursday morning, we saw only a handful of people. So it is a good trail to get out without too many people. The falls was iced/snowed over still, so nothing to see at the end yet.

icy

The beginning of the trail was tough for us, but once we got acclimated to the elevation it got a little easier. I did not have spikes but my husband did and they were helpful (but not necessary). We came the day after a decent snow fall but the trail was easily visible. The falls were frozen over, but the trail was lovely. Gaiters and spikes would be a good idea in winter.

We walked this on 11 Jan amd played off trail with snowshoes. The trail.is. nicely compacted and so spikes would be good but probably not necessary. The falls are completely frozen over and not visible.

icy

Nice trail, although falls were underwhelming - maybe nicer in the spring or summer. Not too icy but lots of snow. Definitely need traction!!

Snowy but packed down in trail. Not a lot of views but peaceful. Want to come back in summer.

Horsethief trail head is right of Highway 67. There is an abandoned train tunnel from back in the gold rush days. The first part of the trail is a bit tricky if you don't breathe well at altitude. It is so worth the climb! My kids really like it, and they like stopping for a snack along the way.

Beautiful trail not a soul in sight. Completely covered in snow. I managed fine with microspikes.

icy

11/10/2019 - Starts off to the right of an old mine shaft. The beginning part had a moderate incline. Once you reach the top and the different trails are going in various directions it evens out. It was very cold in the shade of the trees; about 90% of the trail was covered in snow, and ice in the sunny areas where snow had melted. You could get by in hiking boots, but it helped that we had yaktraks on too. We went a little off trail to a hill on the right that was less than 1/4 mile before you hit the Pancake rocks trail. We found a boulder on the edge that provided us an amazing view of the mountains as far as the eye could see. It was a fun trail!

This trail was so peaceful and gorgeous! A mid-October hike after about a 2-inch snowfall was beautiful. We left in the morning and were alone on the trail, so quiet and serene with beautiful sprinkles of snow as the breeze swept it off the trees! We spent 3 hours on the trail only because we took lots of pictures and ate a snack on the falls. You can get through it in half that time though. If it weren't for the initial ascent I would call this trail easy, but again the ascent right off the trailhead is a bit steep. Gorgeous!

We did this trail the morning after the first snow 10/11/19. Trailhead is beside the road and easy to access. It starts out a little steep but levels off the further you go. Once to the falls we couldn't get up higher than them because of the snow. On our way back down we started to meet multiple people. I would suggest going in the morning if you want the trail to yourself. I would rate this trail as an Easy not a Moderate.

A little too busy on this weekend afternoon, but a well-maintained and enjoyable short trail!

This was our first time hiking this trail. It was rocky in spots but still manageable. It was a beautiful fall day and we didn’t start until after 2pm. There weren’t too many on the trail and we were off the trail in just under 3 hrs. We had a couple of older people with us and we really took time which made seeing the views more enjoyable. Will definitely be coming back again.

Very nice climb out of the parking area. We never saw a “crags” trail. But the “Devils playground” looks like it could be a nice add on. Dog people. Please take the bagged up dog poop with you!!

Nice little hike up to the Falls. Not too many people at 11 am.

This was a pleasant hike. It starts off with a little incline then levels out some what for the rest of the way. It wasn't to crowded and there's plenty of shade. We found a little trail going up pass the falls following the stream with some rock formations that if your up to a little climbing yield some great views. We had a great time.

This was my first hike since getting here yesterday and it was an excellent acclimation hike! Me and my dog had a really great time enjoying the beautiful weather, sounds, and scenery! Definitely would recommend, not too difficult at all for a day hike.

Too steep for our group so we quit half mile in.

Nice hike on a well marked trail. The falls were beautiful and scrambling to the top was worth the effort. The first 1/4 mile or so of the hike is steep and gets the heart pumping. I think moderate is a good rating.

Waterfall. Beautiful walk through Aspen Pines.

Great trail! There is an incline, but it flattens out many times to give you a little break. The creek runs next to you for about half the hike. We climbed up some rocks to get up close to the waterfall. Very clean and cleared path. Highly recommend!

Beautiful, short, if sometimes steep hike up to the falls. Very shaded, with some parts of the trail meeting up with the river (mosquitos) though not quite enough water to play in.