Horseshoe Trail to Frazer Meadow

Horseshoe Trail to Frazer Meadow is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was the first trail we did with the kids. A peaceful hike. The trail was rocky and the elevation was at the beginning of the trail.

Beautiful aspens, mostly shaded, along a babbling brook in the beginning with lots of little blue butterflies keeping us company. Got there by 8:30am and experienced a mostly empty trail. There was a bathroom at the trailhead, and it was a peaceful hike. We hiked up to rim meadow where mule deer crossed and hiked back the way we came. Trails were well maintained but it was rocky.

Nice little hike. Went on a Friday 5/18/2018; day before and during our hike it was sunny, partly cloudy, went up around 9AM. Saw a few hikers, especially where some of the trails meet up. The meadow was pretty, and signage available throughout the route was helpful to understand the history of trail.

Nice hike yesterday. Used yaks as icy slush intermittently. More slush than mud. Saw bear tracks, beautiful tint blue butterflies. Does anyone know what type of butterflies they are? Trail moderately busy
Nice day!

Snowing on our hike. Trees looked beautiful. Mild moderate rating. Lots of rocks on the trail. Spikes unnecessary. Serene environment. Only one other hiker on a Saturday.

Every time I’m at Golden Gate it seems to be windy. This is the best trail so far to stay out of the wind!

This was a pretty easy trail; easy to get to & easy to navigate. Last week when I hiked it a lot of leaves had already fallen but it was still pretty nonetheless. You won't gain a lot in elevation and most of that is at the beginning before you get to the sign.

Beautiful trail full of aspens! The meadow at the end is worth the walk too. Pretty steady incline all the way there but nice breeze and lots of pretty trees.

Beautiful hike to see the aspens!

Fabulous fall colors right now! Great for dogs. Took the Blackbear trail on the way back which was a lot steeper and narrower and had to help our little dog through several sections but great views. Also, please keep your dogs on leash people--I'd hate for the park service to restrict access to dogs because some people don't follow the rules.

Great hike during the fall! Very rocky and steeper incline in first mile but great views.

Beautiful fall hike & tons of fall foliage.

We only hiked about one mile out and one mile back - never made it to the Meadow but it was a well marked trail surrounded by pine and Aspen trees. We hiked this beautiful trail mid morning on a Tuesday in late August. Only saw a few hikers. There was a stream along the path which our dog enjoyed. Uphill going and downhill returning- it was a fairly rocky path which is why it's probable considered moderate. I have a few joint and foot problems but I could work around the rocks and used my hiking poles to negotiate the downhill portion.
Definitely want to do this hike again.

The trail was very nice. It was a gradual climb the whole way, but I think the first mile was steepest. The trail has decent shade, and is in pretty good shape. I will say though that the trail is very poorly marked at the north end. The more northeastern trail heading back toward the trailhead passes by the natural spring, but none of the signs will tell you that. On the bright side, if it weren't for the poor signage, I wouldn't have walked the wrong way and seen a moose.

This trail I would call easy. Someone said it was shady which it was not. Probably depends on the time of day. Was very sunny and hot. Also the trail is not marked well. We missed the turn off and ended up doubling the distance of our hike.

A very beautiful and shady trail. A great one for beginner trail runners. It is $7.00 for a day pass to the park. The station opens at 8am on the weekends. The last review about ticks was not a lie. I picked off two by the end of the loop. Just tuck your socks into your pants and do a good check when you get home.

A beautiful hike through endless Aspen trees. Feels like you're in a wooded paradise.

If it's a hot day in Denver, it won't be much of an escape from the heat here. Nice easy hike though, with options to connect with other trails. Maybe if I do it again I'll target a cooler month. Fall hike here would be fantastic as there are aspens out the wazoo on the upper section of the hike

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

We are going to go back when the aspens change because they were everywhere! Its a beautiful hike!

Monday, June 12, 2017

This is a great hike, but be warned, it's a steady incline the entire way up.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Well marked, easy to find but not too many people. Plenty of shade and dog-friendly.

Monday, May 29, 2017

This trail was great. It wasn't crowded at all and a nice serene hike!

Monday, May 15, 2017

One of my favorite trails! Never disappoints. Beware of ticks. After reading the reviews on the Burro trail to Windy Peak, we became aware of ticks and were on the lookout for them. We sat down for lunch for maybe 5 minutes, and within that time, the 1 yr old, 6 yr old, and the Dad all had one tick crawling on their legs. Luckily none stuck. We were all tick free when we came home.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Very nice hike for me, my wife and our not-completely-into-it 12 y.o. A gentle grade, almost all in trees, opening to alpine meadows.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

This was a good walk in the spring/winter. Frazer meadow is not clearly marked and we couldn't find a loop to come back To the trailhead, so we walked back down the same way

Monday, March 13, 2017

Trails are terribly marked and signage is confusing

Monday, March 06, 2017

Beautiful trail - even in the dead of winter It is almost a continuous, but fairly gradual, ascent until .2 miles before the meadow. Rocky for the first mile...then leaves and dirt. Parts of the trail were muddy or snow packed, but my friends made it up and back without yaktraks (they slipped a couple of times, but never fell. I wore some clamp-ons and felt very sure-footed. The patches of white snow amongst the brightening green ground cover and evergreens was lovely. I'll definit3ely hike this trail at least once per season.

Monday, September 26, 2016

We hiked this trail on 9/25/16, and the aspens and colors were absolutely amazing. We went with the dog, who did this hike no problem. The only drawback of this hike was that it was very crowded, but we knew it would be, because of the fall colors and because it was a weekend.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

I love this trail! It's a must for me in fall and spring. My pup and I hiked this trail today beginning at 745/8 and we hardly saw anyone until our way down - which is always a plus and impossible to find on a Saturday!! The beginning of the hike starts with rocky inclines but after a give or take mile it really tapers off so keep going. The meadow is gorgeous and the aspens have all changed making it a picture perfect spot. To make this hike much longer (and a good bit harder) hike past the meadow through to the other edge of the park then up to panorama point via mule deer/coyote. We did this today as well and while it's not at all as pretty or easy a trek as the trail listed here it is a good workout that adds on a few hours if you're looking for a "true" half day hike. Caution though, I wouldn't recommend going through this trail to panorama with little kids as once you get on mule deer/coyote it's open to mountain bikers. Also word to the wise, the visitor center and pay booth weren't open when we arrived so we had to grab a pass with an envelope. Luckily I had the $7 in cash but remember this if you're planning to go early like I did. Also, dogs have to be on leash and I advise you to follow that rule but it's perfectly okay to snap them off for quick photos like I did :)

Sunday, September 18, 2016

There are a few parking areas before the trail head. We parked at one that started at bear paw trail and lead to horseshoe trail about .25 miles in. The trails are clearly marked and often. The inclines are not steep perfect for dogs and children. The view of the meadow with all the fall colors in beautiful!