Horseshoe Mountain is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alma, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Length7.3 miElevation gain2,224 ftRoute typeOut & back
CampingHikingHorseback ridingMountain bikingNature tripsohv / off road drivingDog friendlyViewsSnow
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Take 4 Mile Creek Road off of Hyw. 285 south of Fairplay. Go up this road past 4 mile campground to where a road takes off to the left, up a hill. Follow this up to Horseshoe Basin and park were ever. A snow bank stays over part of the road until late July. Single track open to Motorcycles, but this area is primarily used by hikers.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (55)
Photos (44)
Recordings (44)
Completed (101)
Michael C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 1, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingIcyRockySnow

Gets incredibly treacherous towards the top! A majority of the trail is snow converted towards the top on a trail that is already incredibly narrow, with random patches of ice. Be careful!

Kaitlynn H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
Hiking

I absolutely love this hike. Gorgeous and solitary. I actually have been here twice, but the first morning, the wind was so awful at the pass that it literally knocked me to the ground 4 different times. I had hiked up the entire 4x4 road to the pass, and waited an hour but the wind never died down. I was also the only person the entire time I was there. Never saw any vehicles or hikers. The second time, I drive my Jeep Patriot up to the end of the 4x4 road where I had to previously turn around, and I finally reached the summit. I saw 3 other vehicles but only 4 other hikers the entire time. When I reached the summit, I was not the only ... creature there. A mountain goat was right at the summit and I had to wait for him to go pass me. I encountered him about 4 more times on the hike back down. Oddly enough, my fully charged phone died right as I reached the summit ... Anyway, it was a gorgeous hike and after the goat continued on his way, I had the entire mountain to myself. Gorgeous 360 views. Hate I didn’t get many pictures on my phone, but I may honestly go back because I truly enjoyed the solitude at the summit with just myself (and the mountain goat).

Virginia Franzese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
Hiking

STUNNG. Such a unique landscape. Challenging but worth it.

Jenn Voss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
View Jenn's Recording
David Perry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020

The 7.3 can be misleading because the first several miles are just rough road. The overview pulloff (4 red poles block an old trail off to the left) starts the serious climbing part. Final approach to summit was steepest piece, but it is the last about 100 feet of trail. We did it in a 23yo Tacoma with 160k on its v6 engine.

Connie Cox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

The drive to the trailhead is a bit challenging. That being said, this is an absolutely AMAZING hike. The trail is easy to follow, there are several interesting mine ruins and unreal panoramic views. There are numerous areas of loose rock so make sure you have sturdy shoes!

Stephanie Ingraham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
View Stephanie's Recording
Daniel Rude
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingRocky
View Daniel's Recording
Erin Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Did this trail on 7/18. Great hike! Light traffic. Beautiful wildflowers everywhere. Steady climb with switchbacks that are wide so you feel a little break from the incline. Steep to summit. Couple lakes or big ponds maybe. Long bumpy dirt road to get to the small parking lot at trailhead.

Philip Cox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020

had the mountain to myself today, beautiful hike. cool old ruins along the trail

Heather B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

Headed up the boudoir couloir with great weather! Awesome beginner snow climb.

View Heather's Recording
Chad Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 28, 2020
Hiking

Did this one back in March of 2017. Beautiful views and didn't see anybody else all day. I made a recap video of the route to help provide some more insight as to what to expect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujYfABAchs

Cuesta Hoop
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2019
HikingRocky

Planned to do Horseshoe but only finished Peerless. The wind was too strong with blowing me over. Will go back to climb Horseshoe. Beautiful area and incredible view. You can take an AWD to the end of the road. From there you park like we did or have a high clearance 4X4. Of course the main road, Four Mike, is incredibly bumpy but a 2WD low clearance can make it.

View Cuesta's Recording
Scott Alford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockySnow

Cool hike, but likely wouldn't do it again. There are no actual trail markers/signs whatsoever that we saw, so it was hard to know if/when we were on the "trail". The entire area up the front of the mountain is crisscrossed with tons of old mining roads - take your pick. We parked at a Y in the road where a snow drift blocked one way and the other was steeper than I was comfortable driving. We hiked as far up as we could until there was no way around the snow (about 13,100 feet), then wandered off to the right as you're facing the mountain for some more incredible views. The old mining artifacts and grave markers were interesting, the views back down the valley truly stunning, & the lake at the base of the mountain really serene & beautiful. The entire thing is above the tree line, so no cover at all (= sunburn!) We had the entire thing to ourselves - never saw another soul. As other reviewers have mentioned, the drive is rocky & difficult at points. Highly recommend 4-wheel drive with plenty of clearance.

Cat Gonnering
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2018
Hiking

2nd time I finally found the right trail! turn left at the 2nd turn off past the leavick parking lot. we parked where the road forked and hiked. about .75 miles into the hike you'll see Horseshoe. Just follow the road/trail. Lots of cool mining relics on the way. The lakes below look really pretty and coming back down we did see a Jeep but that was pretty much the 1st person my friend and I saw the entire hike. At the saddle between peerless and horseshoe the views are amazing and we climbed higher I'm not sure we made the "summit" but we we're well over 13,000ft and content. I would recommend it for how quiet it is compared to seeing the tons of cars/people headed to Sherman

Mike Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2018
Hiking

This hike was simply the best hike we did all week. The view is STUNNING! A 360 degree view of gorgeous mountains as well as valley views of Leadville and Fairplay. Had the whole mountain to ourselves on a weekday, which was a nice reward for driving 11 miles down a bumpy gravel road in a rental car that didn’t handle the bumps well. Trail was not difficult to traverse for the most part. Well worth the effort.

Sarah Rushing
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2018
Hiking

We looped Horseshoe in with our hike of Mt. Sherman, Sheridan, and Peerless Mountain, and I'm glad we did. Good place to watch the line of ants summiting Sherman!

Mathew Hagman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 24, 2018

Beautiful views. Unfortunately didn’t get to drive to the end of the road, two snow drifts were blocking the road at the first bend. Will definitely return later in the year.

David Wyant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2018
Hiking

Start of trail was still blocked by a snow bank so had to hike up. Awesome views, didn't see a single person.

Katlyn Sandbulte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2018

14er views without the crowd!!

sam kibler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2017
Hiking

Phil B I was up there a week ago and it was closed due to snow on the corner. Is it still closed?

alka nand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2017
HikingNo shade

We did this hike in 2015 and the problem was that the trail was not well marked at all. We got lost and had to take the help of a group of off road bikers.

Phil B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2017

Remote and desolate. Went on a weekday and had the entire mountain to myself. It's an 11mile dirt-road trip to get to the trailhead. Not strictly a 4x4 road, but you'll go a lot faster if you have one. The trail is along a series of abandoned mine trails, so it's easy to follow. Some mining debris along the way keeps things interesting. Other than that, the trail doesn't hold much beauty, except the sheer size of the surrounding mountains and the feeling of being completely by yourself. The views upon reaching the ridge and looking west are staggering. Not simply the vision of the Sawatch in the distance (both Elbert and Massive can be seen), but because of the enormity of the valley that opens up in front of you. It literally took my breath away. On the way down, do yourself a favor. Sit by the lake and just look up at the "horseshoe", and reconcile just how small and temporal you are compared to immensity of the piece of earth in front of you. You'll thank me.

Melissa Hoxsie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2016
OHV/Off-road driving

Amazing views.

Tom Moldenhauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2014
OHV/Off-road driving
First to Review

This is a off road trip that takes you up to a basin below Horseshoe Mt.. The road is good for high clearance vehicles. There is a tarn under Horseshoe Mt. and rocks with neat liken designs for great photo opps. The road continues up to some mine tailings.There are no trails, but you can hike the area.

Kylie Stewart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2021
View Kylie's Recording