Horseshoe Lake Trail

Horseshoe Lake Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Parshall, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

A great trail with amazing views, once you get to the lake at the end it's breathtaking! The water is SO clear and the lake has lots of nice size trout in it.

Great hike. Bring a fly rod if you want to do some fishing at the lake. Gets crowded on the weekends but still a fun hike.

I recommend continuing past the lake up to the top of the ridge above the lake- you get some incredible views!

Our family hiked this trail for an overnight backpacking trip last week. It was definitely a workout, but it was a great trail. We all 5 made it carrying packs ranging from about 10-25 lbs. Even our 10-year-old made it with a pack. We've done quite a few backpacking trips and the camping area by Horseshoe Lake ranks as one of our favorites. It was so secluded and gorgeous.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

The hike ends up being 8 plus miles round trip 1788’ elevation gain. It's an awesome hike and there is some great camping around the lake!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Friday, July 17, 2015

I can't help but compare this to the first time I hiked this trail in 1984 as part of the middle park dist. forest service trail crew, many sad changes since those days, very few dead trees back then, always deserted. I was surprised to see so many people camping along 302 on the drive to the trail head and the trail head parking full. (Its a small lot) Still spectacular, especially farther up. In 84 I saw the biggest cutthroat trout in my life in that lake, have not seen anything near the size of those days in the last few years up there.

Very wet on this recent visit, some muddy bogs bigger than I have experienced in the past and a couple downed trees crossing the trail.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Hiked 9/28/2014 - The trail is 8 miles round trip from the parking area of the Kinney Creek Trail. The trail is well maintained with only a few blowdowns at the time I hiked it. However there is potential for a lot more dead trees to fall. There are numerous small stream and spring crossings on the trail, eventually ending at Horseshoe Lake.