Hope Lake Trail

Hope Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Telluride, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

What's there to say that hasn't been said? It's a great doable hike that makes you feel like you got away but doesn't take a lot of time. Nice destination above timberline.

Hiked on 10/23/17

Absolutely beautiful trail! Hiked in mid-October. Brought our 3-legged dog and she did just great. A little steep, but nothing too terrible. Including lunch at the lake, took about 3 hours round trip

Great hike with forests, open areas, creek crossings, and crystal clear lake. First third fairly easy then became steeper but manageable. Definitely would recommend.

Beautiful hike! Amazing views!

There was a lot of ice and snow on the trail (late september) which made getting down a tad tricky, but we managed without trek poles.

4WD was recommended to get to the TH but we managed just fine in our Honda Fit. Whole hike took exactly 2 1/2 hours.

Extraordinarily beautiful. Favorite hike.

Wonderful hike! We went last weekend (mid August) and it was soooo pretty! It starts super easy so don't be mislead, lol! It gets a little tough with switchbacks but overall pretty easy for this region. Hope lake was beautiful. A different shade of blue from every angle.

We have a Honda Pilot SUV....Can we drive up the dirt road in our Honda or do we need a jeep?

Absolutely gorgeous but NOT EASY. The first part is relatively flat but the switch backs after that are very steep and rocky in many places. My pedometer said almost 7 miles (from parking lot and 100 floors climbed). The service road in was fine compared to others in the state and it was easy to find and not that crowded for a Saturday. Definitely a beautiful trail but I wish I had prepared a little better since it sounded pretty leisurely when I read about it.

Awesome trail! Definitely not easy!

Beautiful views! But definitely an uphill climb with lists of switch backs. Harder than it sounds.

Very nice hike. Beautiful wildflowers.

I took my 10 year old on this trail yesterday (July 2017). He loved it! It was the perfect length for him. He wore out right at the end. I do recommend waterproof shoes as you have to cross a couple streams. Nothing too deep and very easy to cross. Barely got my shoes wet. As well there are a few muddy areas. -Overall though it was gorgeous and very doable for this Mom and kid who aren't in very good shape at all.

Beautiful hike. There was a lot of snow still when we went at the end of June but it's been a weird year like that. We were able to do it though, no problem. There are a lot of switchbacks, and it seems that so many people are skipping them and it's destroying the vegetation. Please stay on trail!!

There is water the entire time and you cross a lot. I suggest hiking boots and not sneakers even though it's doable. The road up there is a pain in the butt; hole-y dirt road for 3 miles.

I've been here in August, however what is it like right now? I know there's still alot of snow in the high country but has anyone attempted this recently? Thanks!

Friday, September 16, 2016

So annoying to get to (must off-road) but the lake is absolutely worth it and stunning. Go in the summer to get amazing wild flowers. Our dogs loved it too.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Was a good first trail to do upon my arrival to the mountains from sea level! Rewarding views and fun!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Beautiful alpine lake at the top with lots of wildflowers. Fun hike with lots of different beautiful views. Relatively challenging towards the end with a lot of switchbacks. Dirt road to get there - don't need high clearance but you're on it for a good 5+ miles

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Excellent scenic hike to Alpine Lake close to Telluride.