Hope Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Telluride, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,312 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Beautiful hike, but when we reached the snow the trail disappeared. We tried following different foot steps, but couldn’t find the actual trail again. Decided to just try to climb to one of the peaks which provided gorgeous views. Our lab loved the snow and hike. Will definitely try this again another day.

icy

We hiked 05/23/20 and once on the forest road, you pass a large lake which was easily accessible. Further back, the road to get to the trail head was pretty rough. No way a car or low vehicle would make it this time of year, icy, muddy, snowy patches. (We were in a Jeep Cherokee.) Once at the trailhead, there was no cell service and the map posted on site wasn’t helpful. There is a lot of snow on the ground, no trail markers at all and extremely hard to determine which direction (once reaching the first river) to go. Once we determined the correct ‘path’ from there, the rest was extremely snow covered and not clear. I followed what I presumed were footprints possibly in the snow and animal trackings. Snow covered 75% of the path or more and we actually got lost. It’s a hard, not moderate hike if you’re going through deep snow banks without snow shoes and constantly falling in, while uphill climbs in high elevation. Spent about 3 hours hiking and did not find the lake. Since no cell service, I couldn’t pull up better directions for the trail, even though I took a photo of the map on the trailhead. No one else was on this trail until we were hiking back out, so no one to ask for directions. Super bummed we couldn’t get to the Hope lake, but the landscape is certainly beautiful and stunning along the way. Probably best hiked around late June or July. I only rated 4 stars due to my experience and lack of a distinguished trail, not actually being able to arrive at the lake.

icy

May 9, 2020. My little 4x4 Ford Explorer couldn't make it up the road due to the ice and snow. We parked as close as we were comfortable and then hiked. Never made it to the lake but we still enjoyed the wilderness and the snowy peaks were breathtaking. We didn't prepare for hiking on snow and ice, if we did, maybe we could have finished the trail. Regardless we still had an amazing time explorering the area. Would recommend. (A local lady told me that even in the summer, the road has tick pactches of ice and snow) Just anticipate walking a mile and half or so to the trail head.

My son and I hike up to Hope Lake this morning 10/16/19. Since we did not trust driving our rental to the trailhead, we parked about 1.5 miles away which added an additional 3 mi to the hike. A few rough spots on the road but we could have made the drive. It was a very difficult hike for me. My 23 year old son did very well. We are both from MS (flat landers). For those of you who are 65 yoa or older it could be a very difficult hike. Of course, it is extremely beautiful once you get to the lake.

I hiked this Oct 8, 2019. Views of the fall colors were still beautiful, but we are getting toward the end of the color season. This trail is apparently heavily used so not much solitude, but it is still an impressive hike to a beautiful lake. When you come to the first stream be sure to cross the stream to continue on the trail. There is another trail that goes up the stream drainage to the left, but this is not the way to go to get to the lake. The trail is generally in very good condition with only a couple of fallen trees over the trail to go around. I continued on up the South Mineral Creek trail to the ridge above the lake for some great views. Nothing very difficult on this trail as long as you are acclimated to this elevation.

Lake is really full right now so that's nice

Beautiful hike. Lots of switchbacks, but there are some great views while you do them. Small cascade at one point that’s nice. The lake is beautiful and there’s a waterfall in the background. For some reason, this hike took more out of me than the Ice Lake Basin hike, even though this hike is shorter and climbs (on average) less elevation per mile. Maybe the altitude? Unsure. Great little hike though. Mountain road to the trailhead is a little bumpy, but you can get there regardless of vehicle with the right attitude. Saw another hiker plow up the road in a little Scion.

The most beautiful hike I’ve done. The views are spectacular all along the way. Has reasonable elevation gain but mostly slow and steady except maybe toward the last 500-1000 feet. Do not give up, rest, take pictures,keep going. Recommend decent ankle support- the terrain is varied. Poles helped a lot with knees on way down. One note on getting there. Dirt road with lots of holes. Would recommend a vehicle that can handle rough terrain. The parking is kind of willy nilly at the trailhead, there’s also an overflow lot on the left on your way up the road. You have to walk up the road to get to trailhead. The trail has one area the crosses water relatively early on the walk. When we went (September) it was mostly just stepping over a few rocks. The trail picks up across the water and changes direction up the side of the hill. We had to stop and look around a minute to see where the worn part of the trail was. However we ran into a group that wandered straight up the rocks and never quite figured it out.

Beautiful hike. Definitely huffed and puffed at the end but it was worth it! Need a durable car to get to the trail head. It was pretty rocky and rough, FYI.

Reallly freaking hard the last mile! Keep pushing!!!!!

My girlfriend has traveled the world and said this was the most beautiful landscape she has ever seen. Just do it.

Amazing. Beautiful views of Mountains, Trout Lake below, wildflowers and streams.

Amazing hike with beautiful views the entire way. We went on a Tuesday at 9 and it was crowded on our way back out. We’re not avid hikers so it was challenging for us, but worth it. The ATV road that leads to the trail was a good 15-20 minute trek.

Beautiful day. Wildflowers were awesome. Caught a very nice Cutthroat

Fantastic views and wildflowers the entire hike!

recorded Hope Lake Trail

Absolutely Gorgeous hike. The road up to trailhead is one lane and you should probably have a higher clearance car or SUV, but we saw all kinds of cars in the lot. There is an overflow parking lot if the main lot is full, You’ll have to drive back down a little bit to get to it on the right. This is one of my favorite hikes, and the views at the end after you break through timberline are spectacular. Tons of wildflowers. We went on a weekday and it really wasn’t overly crowded, we didn’t see that many other hikers. We stopped for photographs, water breaks and lunch at the lake so it took us a bit longer than it probably should have. We did see a couple heading up farther on a single track trail to the left After we reached the lake. Worth exploring.

One of our favorites! It’s a can’t miss! ❤️

Amazing hike. In my top 10 of SW Colorado. Get to trailhead early! Don’t miss this one!

8/23 This trail was AMAZING! It has everything you could want in a good Colorado trail. I’m in decent shape but this was intense for my midwestern lungs. Took me a good hour and a half going at a pretty good clip to get up. Obv, bring food and water. So glad I had a layer with me. It was a perfect mid sixties with some intermittent cloud cover but between the sweat and the coolness I got pretty chilled in shorts and a t-shirt. Imo, I don’t think I’d enjoy this trail in chacos, glad I opted for the trail kicks. Left the trail head at 3:15 and started making my way down at 6:00. Golden hour was stunning up there but I did want to get off the mountain before it got dark. Could’ve gotten down way quicker if I hadn’t stopped for so many pics. If you don’t want something intense or to feel obligated to take pictures every 50 yards then this hike’s not for you!

One of the most beautiful trails I've ever done. The road up to the trailhead is a little tricky for vehicles that are not 4WD or AWD, but my Nissan Versa made it. I would rate the trail as moderate. The switchbacks and high elevation will test your endurance. Be careful not to miss the first creek crossing off to the right. Myself and another group went left and followed the trail through a meadow up to a scree field. When the trail disappeared after a mile, we knew we had missed the turn. Backtracking was well worth it. the views are spectaclular, wildflowers are blooming, and there are still some snow patches. Be careful crossing the avalanche area. The lake is amazing!

Must Do!!!