Holy Cross City Trail

Holy Cross City Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

I drove around to the trail above the jeep trail. Start ou hiking your own trail then run into trails on the way up.

super fun

Hi all, I know this isn't strictly mountain chat. However, we were camping in Holy Cross City last night, right outside the Holy Cross Wilderness border. Around 830/9pm our puppy Kiera bolted when she heard a coyote very near. We have not heard or seen her since. She is a 9 month old retriever/border collie with a white patch on her chest. When she ran, she was wearing this pack. She has a collar with our numbers on it and she responds to her name, so if any of you are in that area this weekend, please keep an eye out for her. Thank you very much.

off road driving

Monday, May 16, 2016

Hello! I rode my horse up to the old mining camp back in 1980 or 81 and spent the day there. I was alone. In those days the only way into the old town was across the peat bog (not a mud bog as stated). Peat bogs are common to the area. Then you could see the winch marks on the various trees and stumps across the bog made by the 4 wheelers. It was a serious challenge in those days. I pulled my horse trailer quite a ways upon the road made for the Denver water pipes-they are hunge! The road was great!
I lived in the Vail area at the time while O was building Beaver Creek Ski Resort bus system. When I went you could still see the old roads built by the chinese workers on the side of the mountain for the miners. They were very clear to see then. If you go into the woods near the road on the way up you could see the "corduroy" road made by the miners too. It was small diameter wood logs laid down side by side to "pave" the road. I walked on it too. It was cool! I did not have to clear away the pine needles then but you might have to now. The nights were so black that you could not see your hand in front of your face either. I stayed a little to long before heading back to the trailer and had a tough time seeing in the black dark of the mountain. My horse walked from ditch to ditch down the dark road to find her way. Once I held my hand out in front of my face and truly could not see it or my horses head at all! For real!. It was a great trip then. I hope it still is.
I was amazed at the heavy equipment that was there for the miners too. I stood in awe as I looked at the huge boilers and such that were left behind. It was all still there then. I think even today that those boys were way tougher than me with all they did!. My hat is off to them. Jim Schmidt

Saturday, March 21, 2015

I hiked to holy cross city/ and keep on going to the top of the mountain. Saw a few mines and the scenery was great. Saw a few lakes too. Lots of mountain flowers.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

I'm not completely sure if this is the right trail. We drove in to the Holy Cross Wilderness Area and used the Holy Cross City Jeep Trail. We mountain biked on the trail and it was very challenging. I believe we hike about 4 miles to get to Holy Cross City. It was very strenuous and rocky. We took some pictures of what's left of Holy Cross City and then we biked down. It was a lot of work to ride down because it was so rocky and I'd never rode on anything quite like it. I had no time to get acclimated to the elevation which made it even harder. We drove in the night before and camped and then we hiked up the next morning. We really enjoyed this trail and Mt. Holy Cross means a lot to my husband's family so it was very special for us. There are only 2 buildings that remain of Holy Cross City and they're not to be touched. The city is over 130 years old! It was a challenging but fun trail!