Hogback Ridge Trail

Hogback Ridge Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great glut workout! Incredible views!

Short, easy, decent views of Boulder valley. Took about an hour. Great for when you don’t have much time but want to get out into nature.
Be aware: google maps will tell you the wrong way to get to the trailhead. Off Lee hill road, turn right on 5th street into a subdivision. Turn left on Dakota. Park where Dakota curves into 2nd street.

Not a ton of parking at the trailhead. Trail crosses under the road and heads up into the foothills higher up than I thought. Trail was overgrown at parts on the farthest sections of the loop but manageable.

beautiful views for a short hike

Great, short foothills hike. I’d lean towards a hard rating as the loop is pretty steep. If you want more miles, the Foothills Trail crosses this route just before the loop junction(All Trails map does not show the north section of the Foothills Trail, but looks like it might go a couple miles).

Great little hike to get some vert in with nice views of Boulder Valley. No snow on 3/31, but there were a few muddy areas. All were easily avoidable except the very beginning, where the tunnel under the road was a massive puddle.

Great for a morning hike to get warm and ready to take on the day.

No dogs allowed after the first 0.5 miles west of the parking lot. Ranger gave the couple in front of us a ticket and they were only 100 ft passed the no dogs sign. Bummer. We'll be back...

Sunday, September 17, 2017

This is a great trail, but definitely not easy! I would rate it moderate at very least. Very steep uphill climb. Great views and a good find. I like this trail a lot.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I did not find it easy, because of the extended uphill climb. For me, it's more like moderate:) Beautiful views,

Monday, July 31, 2017

This trail is relatively short but still beautiful. As others have stated, I also would consider this moderate instead of easy. We saw so much wildlife - prairie dogs, rabbits, several deer including a buck, and even a coyote. It was lovely to see so much animal activity, probably due to the fact that there were very few people out on the trail. Perfect for a relaxing evening hike.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Nice views from on top

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great after work hike! I would rate it moderate, it's pretty steep and gets your heart pumping.

Monday, June 26, 2017

I'd definitely put this trail as moderate, especially if you go left at the fork. Cool views over Boudler from a different angle, and got to see some Coyotes frolicking in the field! No shade for most of this trail, water & sunscreen is a must.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Great convenient hike, best part is you can see your car in the lot for most of the hike. Great front range views. Going off to the left makes this hike moderate in my opinion, not easy. Plenty of mule deer and whistle pigs to see on the way.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

I would say this trail is between easy and moderate. we took left fork going up and elevation rose quickly. Others hikers suggested going the right fork for easier climbing-that's probably a good call!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

It was a lot of up which was a good little cardio workout but also not very exciting. Trail is pretty rocky so wish I had worn more than just tennis shoes. Don't really care to repeat.

Monday, July 11, 2016

I thought it was beautiful. Only saw 2 other people on the trail which was great for Boulder. Will be doing it again when I want a short hike close to home

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Easy, quick hike.

Monday, May 09, 2016

This local trail is pretty easy to hike but has some really nice views. As a hiker, I like that there was hardly anyone on the trail when I went. IT was a gorgeous day and it is a nice spot to relax, have a picnic. I use it as a break from strenuous hikes. I like this loop vs. Sanitas cause Sanitas gets unbearably crowded with hiker, dog walkers, runners etc.

Views here of South Boulder peak, Boulder and Longmont are great. Saw a herd of deer chomping on flowering American Wild plum trees. IF you are expecting a hard hike, this is not it. IT was more like a stroll for me with a nice picnic spot to savor the view.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Did this hike with a local meetup group. Its a decent afternoon hike that was completed in about 2 hours. Dog access is prohibited still and the view was nice but a little hazy due to the forest fires on the western seaboard this time of year. Perfect for a quick break from the city and easy access off of hwy 36. Plus its close to upslope and other breweries for after hike happy hour.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Decent short loop in North Boulder. Personally I like to start at Wonderland lake trailhead and continue to north to Hogback via the Foothills trail. There was some pretty serious rutting about a month ago last I was there (6/15) and recently access for dogs has been prohibited. The low rating is because I've lived here 20+ years and the fact that they randomly decided now not allow dogs is completely ridiculous, and also, it's Boulder, there are just far better hikes to be had. If you're in the area and looking for a quick trail run or hike it's just fine.