Hogback Ridge Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(214)
Boulder Open Space

Hogback Ridge Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 816 feet Route Type: Loop

1 hour ago

I wasn’t expecting this trail to be as tough as it was. The incline is steep and difficult, with mostly rocky stairs. The descent is similar. Nice views at the top. Good workout for sure.

recorded Hogback Ridge Trail

Nice, short trail with good elevation gain for a reasonable workout. Lovely spring flowers right now and a herd of deer was grazing on the hill. Dogs are not allowed on this trail and it is narrow in places, so distancing can be a challenge.

Perfect hike yesterday around 5pm, not too many on the trail and that was just what we were looking for. Wasn’t sure what I was in for, since it was my first time there, and it was a bit more of a challenge than I expected, but doable! Would like to make a regular weekly workout! Beautiful scenic hike!

It was a Misty morning on hogback Ridge. The rain was coming in today, so I decided to stay closer to town. I forget how rocky and technical hogback ridge is if you’re running. I added on the Eagle loop for some distance. It was a lovely run.

To me it’s like a smaller easier less crowded sunnier Sanitas.

stairs were muddy, but manageable. the way down was very slick with mostly puddles. would wait for drier weather. would be a nice trail run in the summer. good overlook of Boulder and a few close up mountains behind.

icy

A good incline! Definitely need spikes in most places right now. There are also some muddy parts, but more packed snow than mud overall. We went up via the left fork (you eventually hit rocky stairs) and down the gradual sloped side.

recorded Hogback Ridge Trail

Love this trail. Has a little bit of everything

Hogback is NOT a dog friendly trail, signs are posted everywhere. You can take this trailhead to the foothills trail but that’s about it.

This was a pleasant surprise! We went for a sunrise hike and it was so pleasant! I really enjoyed it!

Lots of mud. Great trail!

I’m from out of town, with the elevation this trail kicked my butt, however the vistas and abundant wildlife were worth it. Saw deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, and lots of birds. Bring your sunscreen!

recorded Hogback Ridge Trail

Great hike for those brief 2 weeks of Fall in Colorado when the weather’s too cold to hike in a shaded area... or when you’re just feeling a “lazy workout.” Saw prairie dogs and deer; no mountain bikers. Started hiking at 2 pm and the parking lot was about 3/4 full - you’ll be fine. Also the gate might appear chained, but it’s not - it’s just looked around the top.

Hiked it on a Thursday at 3pm and it was empty—we had the trail to ourselves the entire time. I recommend taking the southern side of the loop to the top and the northern side down. The southern side is steeper and it gives you a more dramatic change in the views at every turn.

Definitely not an easy trail, especially on the way up, but it wasn’t too difficult. I recommend wearing good hiking shoes as the trail has a lot of rocks and gravel. Nice views of Boulder and Boulder Valley from the top. Saw about 20 mule deer, 2 rabbits and plenty of prairie dogs. I made the hike in 1 hour and 15 minutes at a pretty good pace. Probably a 2 hour hike if you wanted to take your time and do more of a leisurely stroll. Want to do the hike again when there aren’t overcast skies.