Learn more

Historic Ashcroft Ghost Town is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 0.4 miles Elevation Gain: 36 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

fee

Please Note: Dogs are not allowed at Ashcroft Ghost Town. There is a $5 admittance fee to the ghost town part of the trail while in season ( mid-June through mid-September).

icy

I'm giving it 5 stars because it's awesome. It's a great little stop if you're in Aspen and have some time and want to take a gorgeous drive somewhere other than to Maroon Bells. The trail is well-marked with signs indicating what each building was used for. Take a look around at the massive mountains encompassing this "town" and imagine what in the world possessed these folks to settle in the midst of nowhere.

Totally easy and enjoyable exploration through the woods! Ashcroft is a neat old settlement.

Fri Jun 21 2019

My wife and I walked this short trail around the old town site of Ashcroft. Pretty interesting to read about the place and its heyday. Most of the buildings have stood the test of time which is amazing in itself. It's worth the small fee they charge to walk around and check it out.

Thu Sep 27 2018

Ghost town is neat but we went last weekend and were charged $5 a person to walk to the buildings and also our pup was not allowed otherwise I would have rated higher. We weren’t able to do the trail since we weren’t going to leave her in the car.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Make sure to go on the river run trail. You can access it just past the two story hotel building. Nice easy trail mostly along the river. Some posted pictures are from this hike.

Fri Aug 19 2016

Was the best preserved ghost town I've seen (Until I went to Bodie) Still worth it if your in the area, great place to get some fall color shots, Castle Creek has great color if you hit it right

Fri Jul 10 2015