Highland Mary Lake Trail

Highland Mary Lake Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Highland Mary Lakes is a series of high altitude lakes, tarns and awesome views. You can catch the Continental Divide trail from above the lakes, consider a day hike up and back or an overnight, but don't camp on the lake, instead camp a bit away from the edges of the lakes for minimal impact.

Great hike in an awesome spot in the San Juan Mountains. Still wet and snowy for the last half mile to the top.

My first real hike in the San Juans. Gorgeous.

This was a gorgeous hike with a waterfall/ creek the whole way up (great for pups) & beautiful lakes at the top. I'm giving it 4 stars because it wasn't well-marked the whole trail. I came across 3 groups of people who made the same wrong turn as me so I feel it's worth noting here so future hikers don't do the same.
Here is how you stay on the trail: about a mile up there is a wooden sign with an arrow indicating to cross a creek. Follow that arrow and after you cross the creek, very soon after there will be a fork in the trail. Right is a rocky path going up that looks like a dry creek bed. Left is a grassy path that will quickly lead you through dense bushes. Take a RIGHT! This path is a bit steep & will take you the correct way to the lakes. If you end up in dense bushes on the left of the creek, you've gone the wrong way.
Also, near the top you have to pass the creek again (very shallow, no big deal) to get to the area with the lakes. There is a false path taking you to the higher peak on the right. Beautiful views, but not the lakes you came for.
Overall, this hike is beautiful, steep in parts but a smooth trail & worth it. My dogs loved it too! I'd do it again for sure!

The hike was pretty difficult for us flat landers from Texas but we made it. We camped at the lake and it got down in the mid twenties. Our tent was frosted over in the morning. Beautiful views and great fishing in the lake. I wasn't able to make it to Verde lake. The description says lightly trafficked but there was a group of day-hikers every 300 feet or so. Talked to forest service while at the lakes, she said that this was one of the most trafficked day hiking trails around.

Love this Trail. One of the shorter ones in the area but still a good climb up. So be prepared. Best hiked in late summer.

Beautiful hike. Loved the waterfalls and wild flowers. Nice moderate hike. Directions to trail head are not very clear.

Couple snowfields to cross, but nothing sketchy. Lakes are open:)

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I would have given it a 5 star if I would have made it to the lake. The trail, although fairly well marked, got confusing and instead of heading to the lake I made my way back into some pretty thick brush and mud. Took about 30 minutes longer and had to run down because of the storm coming. I will definitely do this earlier in the day and now know the location of the lake. The waterfalls are absolutely stunning on this hike and made it worth it for me...my dog loved the river too, there were several places she could hop in along the way. I would definitely call this an easy to moderate trail, a little muddy on the creek bed so your feet will get wet in the wrong shoes.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Way harder than other "moderate" hikes we've done but it was a great hike!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Great hike that follows a creek to the lakes. Small amount of bouldering. Took us about 3 hours.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

nice climb

Recommended

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Nice climb , easy going. Loved the views from the top!

Friday, July 31, 2015

Its ranked #9, but i don't know way. This hike is amazing and it can easily be made into a loop by combining the CDT. Similar to Ice Lakes hike minus the big crowds.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Beautiful high alpine loop hike. Magnificent scenery all around. Trails are are elevation but not difficult to negotiate. Route finding is relatively straightforward. Saw very few people but it was low season.

Lots to explore if you've got the time.

Ed

Thursday, July 12, 2012

For years I heard that Highland Mary Lakes was beautiful, but crowded. I backpacked in the area for 5 days and saw very few people except for day hikers along the Continental Divide trail. The landscape was awesome, as were the summer monsoons. The views are great and with wildflowers were prolific.

Saturday, June 10, 2017