High Dune Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mosca, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 629 feet Route Type: Out & Back

High Dune trail at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument is not a marked trail. Make your way there the best you can by following the ridges of the dunes on the way. Dogs are allowed on the trail to High Dune and on the front range of Dunes, but they are not allowed past the highest point on High Dune.

Hiked out here back in January. Freezing cold nights around 6F. Snow still on the dunes which made it so much more amazing to see. Such a great location with with snow capped mountains in the background and sand as far as you can see. A bit difficult hiking up the dunes even with the sand still a bit frozen. Totally worth it!

Tough workout.

Beautiful & unique horizon. It's tough walking up dunes!

Hello! Bit of a stretch but if anyone sees dark blue and black hiking shoes, please contact me. My number is 5416617092. I would really appreciate it. Very awesome spot by the way.

Anyone find a pair of Warby Parker glasses today (3/24), please let me know! My number is (630) 723-1898. Hike was sick by the way, highly recommend running down the hills as fast as you can. Not as steep as they look, worth it.

fee

I don’t think I’ve ever had so much sand on my body ever. There’s no trail but it’s so fun plotting a way to get up there just to stumble your way back down. Bring water and sunscreen!

fee

24 Feb 2020 - Very windy with a wind chill of 9 F. Wearing ski goggles and a scarf over my mouth helped keep the sand out. It was easiest (but still not easy) to walk along the ridges where some of the sand was more compact or frozen. It definitely felt like it took longer than an hour to get to the peak. Once up there, it’s a breathtaking tan sea of sand frozen in time! My phone died at the top so my route back down wasn’t tracked, but it took only about 35 minutes because it’s faster, easier, and a lot of fun to run down the dunes! Definitely worth it.

Stunning scenery! Very cool thing to do in Colorado.

We had a beautiful day to hike it. The cold weather making the sand a lot firmer made the hike much easier than struggling in loose sand the whole way. The views were beautiful, the area was clean and not swarmed with people.

The dunes were snow covered and gorgeous. There were quite a few people sledding on the lower dunes there despite the cold temps. Once you got to the first dunes there were little to no people. It was in the teens and blazing sub on my hike and layers were incredibly helpful. The only think I wish I had were gaiters to prevent sand and snow from getting in my boots.

Great views all around!

Great Sand Dunes....ahahahaha! So much fun. Not too bad. Took 57 mins to the highest point. Way worth the trek. Sand!

I have tried to make it up twice. I just can't deal with taking a step and sinking or sliding backwards in the sand. I made it maybe 2/3 of the way in July. Left near sunset and did barefoot. It was a beautiful clear night and got a few cool pics. Not windy for us and actually very quiet. You really have to be in shape, or young, to do this. My daughter pushed me to get that far. The experience is great; my rating is more for difficulty.

3/4 way up the dune you will be wondering why in the hell you started. At the top you’ll be glad you did. Great hike!

STRONG WINDS. Hiked here for sunset. Got about halfway up before we had to stop and take photos. Zero wind up until sunset. As soon as the sun dropped below the horizon the winds picked up. As some points it was dangerous with approx wind speeds of 50mph - 70mph or more. Making it hard to see or walk against the winds. The temperatures drop about 20 degrees. Please come prepared to battle extremely strong winds and would recommend bringing a headlamp if your doing sunset.

we hiked up to the highest dune today. It wasnt that windy. you can take pretty much any path to the top of the dunes. It is a good cardio hike.

Awesome day!

So so beautiful, and worth the trudging up in the sand. You can go any path you’d like up the dunes, following the ridges along the way (you’ll sink less this way). I’m not an experienced hiker really but I walked it barefoot all the way to some of the highest peaks and ran all around it with my dog, who was having a blast! Could have spent all day up there, next time I’ll bring goggles and a bandana haha.

Terrific hike. Take your time because it is difficult. Lots of fun coming down.

recorded High Dune Trail

Pretty tough hike but definitely worth it. Once you hit the summit the view is stunning!

Really didn't find it very difficult for some reason. Views are cool. wish I had goggles.

Hiking up the dunes is hard work, but so worth it!! We hiked in the early evening, so the temperatures were perfect and the light was really beautiful. Took us two hours, with lots of picture stops and just enjoying the views. Coming back down was fast and fun! Run and tumble :)

did this one over a year ago It was a pain in the ass hiking in sand but the view from the top is worth it. going up takes forever but coming down is fun you can just run and slide. crazy views up top a vast empty beach with mountains in the background on one side and a vast plain on the other.

I have hiked the dunes in Death Valley and at Indiana Dunes so I wasn’t really keen on hiking “another dune” but boy am I glad I did! I made it about a mile up the dunes and I waited while my brother kept hiking. I was surrounded by these incredible views across the dunes to small dots that were fellow hikers. Great Sand Dunes lived up to their name! Great facilities at the trailhead with outdoor showers to get rid of some of the sand.

Nice views from the top. Trailhead has changing rooms and outdoor showers to clean up after the hike. There is a small store just outside the park that rents sand boards to surf down the dunes. We missed it driving in so didn't get the chance to surf but it looked fun.

There really isn't any "trails" in the sand dunes, but this route will get you to the best viewing peak with the least amount of resistance. Absolutely incredible views, especially during sunrise/sunset. the distance is short but it's effort to get up the sand. If you're a serious hiker it's fun to climb this trail, then just wander off into the dunes and enjoy the unique experience.

I hiked yesterday. The weather condition was perfect - clear sky and pleasant tempeture. It was very difficult to make on the summit, but it worth it!!