High Dune Trail

High Dune Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mosca, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

High Dune trail a 3.4 mile out and back trac at the Great Sand Dunes National monument. It isn't a marked trail, you just spot it, the "high dune", and make your way there the best you can by following the ridges of the dunes on the way.

Amazing views, exhausting hike. Consider switchbacks when going up steeper sections, along with plenty of water.

This hike is unlike anything else because you can rent a sand board or sled for $20 (at the Oasis store which you turn into from the main road before you enter the park proper) and slide down the dunes at up to 38 mph. The hike itself is strenuous only due to heat and sand. Sliding half a step backward with each step forward on the hot sand is simply discouraging; but if you keep at it, you'll be rewarded with stunning views of one of the most unique landscapes in the country.

Incredible view. Not as hard as I expected based on the reviews/difficulty ranking (that is not to say it isn't hard - it is. as others have said you basically take 2 steps back for every one step forward in sand. however, it's totally doable even for a novice like me. additionally, it doesn't require any sort of skill/maneuvering ). Follow the ridges and areas of packed/wet sand for an easier trip. You'll likely see the paths others took. Take as many breaks as you need. I started at 9:40AM. Very comfortable temperature wise. I wore sandals and packed socks and shoes in case the sand got too hot. I ended up going bare foot for the trip up. On my final journey down around 11:30AM/noon, the sand was getting a little too hot so I put on my sandals which sufficed. I packed 3L of water and only drank about 1L. I didn't have an issue with wind. It blew for a bit and pelted my ankles with sand, but my pants prevented any pain. I was in a tank top and my arms were fine. Highly recommend bringing a sand sled to get the most of it. Reward yourself by cooling off in the creek by the parking lot when you finish (contrary to what I was told to expect - the creek was lively today - August 11). I saw some people brought lawn chairs to sit in the creek. Nice idea.

Go when it is cold out because you will still cook

Beautiful place. Silvia and I went on a Saturday afternoon. It was cloudy and had rained a couple of hours earlier. We went up the GSD trail and also cooled our feet on the stream at the base of the sand dunes.

Tough to hike with sand and gravity working against you, but if you're having trouble, just take it slow, don't give up, and look forward to the speed and ease of coming back down. The views are totally worth it! Took someone's advice and wore gaiters, hiking boots, and snug clothing, so came away a little gritty, but not as sandy as others. Recommend at least 2L of water per person.

That was fun!

pretty view from up top. I read another users review on here saying that sand gets everywhere. My god they weren't joking. I have sand in places I never imagined and then some. I am 100% sand. I am the Sandman please dear god I miss being human not sand:(