High Dune Trail

High Dune Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mosca, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

High Dune trail a 3.4 mile out and back trac at the Great Sand Dunes National monument. It isn't a marked trail, you just spot it, the "high dune", and make your way there the best you can by following the ridges of the dunes on the way.

I took my forestry senior students on this hike to talk about erosion, deposition, saltation, etc. excellent walk.

Challenging hike, this was my first (and so far only) sand hike, and man, I wasn't prepared. But it was incredibly rewarding when finished, and getting down is so much closer quicker than going up. Went at sunset in December, and the spectacle was amazing and definitely worth the climb. Will be back to this area of Colorado, for sure.

Amazing experience! Quite the challenge too! Spectacular views worth every bit of effort.

There isn't really a trail to follow since the sand is constantly moving with the wind. We made it to the top of the highest sand dune and the views were just incredible! If you ever can make it out to here I highly recommend you do because the beauty of this landscape is like no other!

Hiked this with my 7 year old. Sand makes it slow going but well worth the views.

Amazing!!! Went with my hubby and our 4, 6 and 10 year old boys and it was fantastic! We made it only about 2/3 up the high dune because it is a difficult trek, especially for the four year old. But so worth it! We rented sand sleds from Kristi's in Alamosa. We made memories that will last forever on the beautiful sand dunes.

This is a must-see! My boyfriend and I set out to get to the high dune, but once we reached the top, we kept continuing back and beyond, into lower areas. The heights of the some of the dunes are a little frightening, but just remember that you're surrounded by sand, and the worst thing that could happen to you is getting covered in it. It's otherworldly...utterly beautiful, and a hike I would highly recommend to anyone wanting an adventure. Once you get past the strenuous uphill climb, it levels out a bit, and you'll be free to frolic on the dunes!

Crazy beautiful! Be prepared for wind, the sand will get everywhere, including your camera gear!

The dunes are difficult to climb but not nearly as impossible as people made it seem it was going to be.

Tip: If you're wanting to see the creek, it comes and goes so call and ask about it!

BEAUTIFUL. If it's windy, make sure you have covering for all your body parts. Sand is difficult to hike in, so be prepared to spend longer than usual out there.

Love the Sand Dunes! There's really no "trail" to speak of, just miles of sand and dunes. It's a lot of work getting to the tops of the high dunes, and the expanse of the area makes distances rather deceiving. In summertime, it's good to start out early, before sunrise. The dunes are much less crowded then, and the sand won't burn your feet.