Hewlett Gulch Trail

Hewlett Gulch Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,174 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome

icy

Great hike before the November 25, 2019 snow storm.

Hiked this with two toddlers, the three year old was able to hike about 3 miles of it. With snack breaks and rests it took us about 5 hours to complete. Fun views and easy terrain. Would love to bike this!

Beautiful views. Do recommend going right when beginning the loop. Otherwise your back is to the mountain on your way up The switchbacks

Follow up here. Gordon Gulch is prob the entire part of the Hewlett Trail that is in the flat gulch vs ending at the left loop turnoff point. When the trail goes up at the gulch's end, a sign would be nice saying you are now starting the 2.7 loop.

Trail signs are useless on this trail. I recommend not going counter-clockwise if alone and noone else on the loop, like today. I got confused at a T intersection after prob 2 miles on the loop. Did a few extra miles as a result. I should've read all the posts here suggesting to do it clockwise. Apparently, Gordon Gulch, mentioned on the trailhead sign in the parking lot, is the 3.1 section to a Hewlett Gulch sign at the beginning of the loop junction. Pretty much just ignore that sign. It says Hewlett Trail and has arrows pointing to Gordon Gulch trail (Where you came from) and to the counter-clockwise beginning of the ridgeline loop trail. At this same spot is a left turn option, not mentioned on the sign, and 20 yards up is a second Hewlett Trail sign, with an arrow pointing up. Again, useless. Is it the loop or not? I learned post the hike that the loop part is not maintained, so maybe that's the reason for the confusing signs and lack of a loop trail name. That said, the loop has a nice trail on it, and nice views. Weather today was perfect.

Cold and windy fall day, but beautiful. Made the whole loop with Bella, going left at the fork (uphill)

Ended up doing the full 8 mile loop because we failed to look at the map beforehand lol. We even went what I would consider the hard way (take a left at the split to head up the mountain instead of going right which would bring you down the mountain). Only saw one garter snake. Most the trail is sunny and uncovered by trees or rock cliffs.

This is a nice trail for an easy hike. You can get a lot of miles without too much effort. Great on cooler days as it gets lots of sunshine. And yes, there are rattlesnakes here, bears and mountain lions. This trail is in the wild... There are not any landscapers who come out and clear the sides of the trail so you can watch out for snakes lol. Like everywhere else just use caution and common sense.

Nice hike. Pretty dry out but not too hot. Most of the trail is in the sun but there is enough shade in the creek crossings and under the occasional tree to make it comfortable. I just hiked up the gorge until it hit private property then I turned back. Skipped the loop. The hike seemed much shorter than I expected. The trail can get a little narrow in places after the split for the loop but nothing too bad. I ran into a couple snakes but no rattlers and no poison ivy. It was still a bit too early to see any fall colors.

I didn’t make it all the way around the gulch because I wasn’t sure what to expect weatherwise. It was a pretty breezy day and it was chilly at what I am assuming was the top of the gulch. I’m guess the trail would be extra spectacular in Spring when it’s greener and there are more flowers. I lived the creek crossings.

Beautiful, not crowded in the morning. Near beginning of Poudre, makes it easy to get to!

got there around 12:30 on Sunday Sept 1. we got last parking spot. the dirt on trail is more like sand. the first .5 mile was so hot my dogs were crying from stepping on it. we saw some dogs coming back that also were having difficulties. there were multiple water crossings so that was nice for the dogs to stand in. very little shade along the trail. not my favorite hike but it's close to fort Collins and good to do once in awhile. it is an off leash trail so if you have naughty dogs this trail is probably not a good one for you also once the loop starts, there is no shade, no water and a fair amount of incline.

Wonderful trail on a slightly overcast day (not much shade cover so can be HOT on a sunny summer day). Lots of water for dogs to splash around in until the middle loop section- very dry in that area. Slightly overgrown in some sections but still easy to follow the trail. A great hike or trail run if you have just a half day to get out of the city!

Hiked this trail for first time yesterday with my family. Seemed like a nice a trail, about .2 miles in the trail becomes very overgrown with only about 1-2 ft of trail to walk on with over grown brush onto the trail on either side. On this hot day, about .5 miles up the trail was a large rattlesnake right off the trail under the overgrown brush that was very aggravated, curled up, rattling and ready to strike someone walking by. My youngest son probably should have been bit, he was extremely lucky. We warned a couple other hikers then turned around and left. Wanted to heed warning to others that this trail is not high enough for snakes to not appear. Be careful hiking this trail during summer months. They really should clear the sides of the trail.

Very glad I went on a cloudy day or the loop would have been very hot. No summit view, but it was really pretty. The way down the Eastern portion was a nice run. Of course, had to stop for stream crossings and a few overgrown areas, but it was nice and cool there so that's a win. Didn't take the dog, as was my first time on the trail and wanted to be sure it was do-able. Will take him next time! Took 3.5 hours, with the run.

Absolutely gorgeous! Watch out tho, we saw 2 Rattlers on the trails sunning.

Nice well marked hike.some elevation change on the loop part. Mostly exposed.

Really nice hike on a Tuesday. I saw maybe 6 people total. The hike up the spine is pretty steep and very exposed to sun so bring lots of water. Lots of wildflowers right now!

It’s a nice trail to take your dog out and not have to worry about too many people and a good portion follows a running creek, but it’s not the greatest hike. The trail was not very well maintained with high, thick weeds we had to fight our way past, and as many of the previous reviews mention, there is not much shade on this hike.

Beautiful trail! Glad we hiked on a cloudy day and got an early start because it's quite exposed. Mostly level except for the lollipop part of the trail where the climb begins. Some areas the grass is overgrown but the trail is easy to follow. Multiple river crossings and I would recommend bringing a hiking stick to help you stay balanced when crossing.

Decent trail but more exposed than I prefer. Great trail for dogs as they can be off leash and there are numerous stream crossings, none through the loop section though. Beautiful wildflowers including some poppies. Saw one mule deer and a hummingbird. Nice outing.

great trail with lots of wildflowers and stream crossings. Not much shade after the 1st mile so bring lots o water.

Great hike, beautiful meadow of wild phlox, and wild flowers. No shade so bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Easy afternoon hike done yesterday! Some stream crossings which makes it more fun for the dog. She loves the water, also nice dogs are permitted to be off leash on this trail. It wasn’t heavily trafficked although I did go on a Tuesday. Fairly easy for an experienced hiker/someone in shape. Overall would recommend!

Everything is very green right now, beautiful, lots of fun stream crossings, awesome hike!

It was pouring rain and thundering so we didn't go very far at all, but the first stretch of the hike is beautiful. Will absolutely be going back in nicer weather

I love this trail, however we came across so many off-leash dogs that were not well-behaved that it almost makes the hike unenjoyable (I have no problem with off-leash well mannered dogs with responsible owners). Saw lots of wildlife including multiple snakes so keep your eyes open! Several streams that are easy and fun to cross. Mix of shade and sun along the trail, and very green right now!