Hewlett Gulch Trail

Hewlett Gulch Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Go up here all the time. Lots of water crossings for the dog, the loop makes its way through the burned area, presenting some obstacles, otherwise, very serene and one of my favourites!

Nice little hike. It is easy, even kid friendly, until the loop. Then it gets harder. We love to be able to have the dogs off leash (under voice command). We started in the morning. It was nice and quite. On the way back, it was getting crowded and parking seemed to be a lot more difficult. Seems like we took another trail which we probably walked an extra mile. It took us 4.5 hours (we stopped 2 times to snake). It looks like there recently was fire damaged but overall nice hike. I would not recommend it for bikers though...

Fun and easy trail with several gentle stream crossings. Nice aspen and cottonwood trees with beautiful colors in the fall. Despite what this site says, there is no leash law for this trail. The trailhead specifically states dogs must be under voice control, not on a leash. This is my favorite off leash hike close to FOCO. Unfortunately, as of late, I have had many run ins with tense hikers that are upset my dog is off leash. If you are uncomfortable with off leash dogs, or have aggressive dogs on a leash that you don't want greeted by off leash dogs, please look for another trail.

Took the kids the dogs and the neighbors on this hike this morning. Excellent hike!

We really enjoyed this hike. Several creek crossings with well-placed boulders, great scenery, and a nice warm up and cool down with the easy portion of the trail from the trailhead. The loop portion is totally exposed, but is a great workout. I suggest going counterclockwise for a more gradual increase in elevation, but clockwise will get your heart pumping. I'd start early, if possible, especially on a warm day if doing the loop. And bring plenty of water for you and your dog.

Went out today for my first time with dogs. Trail well worn, mostly as a single track. Dogs allowed. And Mountain Bikers too. Several water crossings with rocks stratigically placed to help keep your feet dry.
Only went the two miles out and back, which excluded the loop, because of the warm temperatures and exposed trail due to the lack of trees; to keep my dogs safe. Brought plenty of water, but would recommend a very early morning hike if taking your dogs.
Will definitely return again.

The straight out and back section was enjoyable. If you are doing the loop at the end, I suggest you bring lots of water. The whole loop is exposed with no shade, no water and a pretty decent incline no matter which direction you pick. We chose counterclockwise and I think it was a more gradual incline. The clockwise direction starts out with a much steeper incline, loose rocks and lots of switch backs. I'd do this hike again but on a very cool day.

We love this trail. Typically we go on off days because it can get super crowded and people don't control their dogs well, but the trail is really nice!

beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers and water. expect to cross the creek several times! watch our for snakes, saw two on my way up and around. would definitely do again. The whole loop took close to 5hours including several breaks

This has a good mix of length, water and elevation for friends who come out and want to do something harder then Gateway but not ready for a Greyrock. I personally really enjoy this trail for its change of pace and rewarding top views. The dogs are able to drink up so saves us the water!