Hewlett Gulch Trail

Hewlett Gulch Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Went hiking yesterday 5-7-2018 the entire route. Glad I brought a sandwich, snacks and 3 liters of water, The mileage recorded on my Garmin device (satellite tracking) starting and finishing at the parking lot was a total of 8.5 miles. Flowers were in bloom. Butterflies at water crossings. A group of 9 Bighorn Sheep (males) were on the hillside about two miles into the walk. And no snakes seen. Recommend going in the early AM. And if walking the entire loop, I suggest wearing sturdy shoes.

As described it's heavily hiked allowing all age groups and abilities. The elevation gain is gradual allowing my 2 year old to walk along with us with ease. Parking lot is likely to be full and plan parking on the road. This is a very common place for dogs (leashed and unleashed) and do bring doggy bags to pick up their poop.

Hiked this early on a Sunday morning. Only saw 2 other hikers the first 6 miles, and they were on their way out. Very quiet and peaceful with the early start. Saw one deer and a group of 7 mountain goats. Lots of pretty views, mostly looking up at ridges and peaks surrounding the gulch. Lots of stream crossings on the 2 miles prior to the fork. All are easily traversed with stepping stones without getting wet. Different types of views once you emerge up on the ridge at the north end of the hike. Saw lots of hikers the final 2 miles as I left (they were coming in). Only 3 other cars in the lot at 7am when I arrived. When I left at 10:20am, the lot was overflowing onto the road.

The trail is in great condition right now and all the stream crossings are super easy to manuever. There are a number of wild flowers blooming right now, and the weather was excellent! This trail is the best for wearing the dogs out, but I saw a number of folks leave their dogs poop behind. Please pick up after your dog so this trail will continue to be enjoyable for everyone.

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Fort Collins area as pups are allowed unleashed. It’s fairly easy with great views and lots of streams. Parking is very limited and there’s no trash cans at the trailhead.

Very much enjoyed this hike! At the fork, headed to the right, definitely not as steep as an incline as when you go to the left. Very relaxing hike but a good workout. Some wild flowers already out. At a mild to moderate pace, take about 3 1/2 hours.

Great hike this afternoon. We brought both of our Golden Retrievers. They loved the stream crossing, which there were several of. Definitely would recommend this hike.

Great hike with some good views! Relatively easy hike, although depending on which direction you take at the fork for the trail loop it can be challenging. I, personally, went left at the fork, which takes you up a series of switchbacks. Going right takes you through a more gradual incline of the mountain I found as I traveled back down from the loop. There are also quite a bit of small stream crossings, too. Trail is also mountain bike and dog friendly.

This hike was wonderful! The first couple of miles are flat and easy, once you get to the loop it gets a little steeper and rockier. The views on the loop are amazing! This hike gets very crowded, so get there early if you want a parking spot in the lot and no crowds on the trail. Also, for fewer crowds go counter clockwise on the loop, most hikers go clockwise.

As it clearly states, this is a DOG FRIENDLY hike. So there will be a lot of dogs on this trail and they will be off leash. If that's not your style, there are plenty of other hikes in the area, such as Grey Rock just down the road, where dogs are on leash or not allowed at all. Go there! Or don't complain. This is an awesome, beautiful hike that people can enjoy with their dogs. I would have given it 5-stars except parking can be a problem and there are no trash cans at the trailhead.

It was BEAUTIFUL! Definitely a must see !

Great hike, beautiful views. Too many unleashed, unruly dogs for my pleasure.

I have done this hike a few times and it’s been beautiful every time. It isn’t too difficult and it’s right near Ansel Watrous campground, another beautiful place. This hike has beautiful scenery and so many little streams. Highly recommend

Go up here all the time. Lots of water crossings for the dog, the loop makes its way through the burned area, presenting some obstacles, otherwise, very serene and one of my favourites!

Nice little hike. It is easy, even kid friendly, until the loop. Then it gets harder. We love to be able to have the dogs off leash (under voice command). We started in the morning. It was nice and quite. On the way back, it was getting crowded and parking seemed to be a lot more difficult. Seems like we took another trail which we probably walked an extra mile. It took us 4.5 hours (we stopped 2 times to snake). It looks like there recently was fire damaged but overall nice hike. I would not recommend it for bikers though...

Fun and easy trail with several gentle stream crossings. Nice aspen and cottonwood trees with beautiful colors in the fall. Despite what this site says, there is no leash law for this trail. The trailhead specifically states dogs must be under voice control, not on a leash. This is my favorite off leash hike close to FOCO. Unfortunately, as of late, I have had many run ins with tense hikers that are upset my dog is off leash. If you are uncomfortable with off leash dogs, or have aggressive dogs on a leash that you don't want greeted by off leash dogs, please look for another trail.

Took the kids the dogs and the neighbors on this hike this morning. Excellent hike!

We really enjoyed this hike. Several creek crossings with well-placed boulders, great scenery, and a nice warm up and cool down with the easy portion of the trail from the trailhead. The loop portion is totally exposed, but is a great workout. I suggest going counterclockwise for a more gradual increase in elevation, but clockwise will get your heart pumping. I'd start early, if possible, especially on a warm day if doing the loop. And bring plenty of water for you and your dog.

Went out today for my first time with dogs. Trail well worn, mostly as a single track. Dogs allowed. And Mountain Bikers too. Several water crossings with rocks stratigically placed to help keep your feet dry.
Only went the two miles out and back, which excluded the loop, because of the warm temperatures and exposed trail due to the lack of trees; to keep my dogs safe. Brought plenty of water, but would recommend a very early morning hike if taking your dogs.
Will definitely return again.

The straight out and back section was enjoyable. If you are doing the loop at the end, I suggest you bring lots of water. The whole loop is exposed with no shade, no water and a pretty decent incline no matter which direction you pick. We chose counterclockwise and I think it was a more gradual incline. The clockwise direction starts out with a much steeper incline, loose rocks and lots of switch backs. I'd do this hike again but on a very cool day.

We love this trail. Typically we go on off days because it can get super crowded and people don't control their dogs well, but the trail is really nice!

beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers and water. expect to cross the creek several times! watch our for snakes, saw two on my way up and around. would definitely do again. The whole loop took close to 5hours including several breaks

This has a good mix of length, water and elevation for friends who come out and want to do something harder then Gateway but not ready for a Greyrock. I personally really enjoy this trail for its change of pace and rewarding top views. The dogs are able to drink up so saves us the water!

Great to do with dogs, lots of places to cross the stream for them to cool off in!

This trail starts with a 2+ mile hike up a stick that is easily treated as a point to point. It has several stream crossings and is beautiful and well shaded. The lollipop stretch has a demanding incline and no shade. That said, it is a really good trail, not too crowded on week days (especially the lollipop portion) and dog friendly.

Fun trail, would I do it again ehhh maybe not. Took the right fork which was probably for the good. Didn't like coming down all the switchbacks but in all great time.

This is a beautiful hike through varying landscapes. Plenty of streams to cross! If you want to do the entire loop, stay right at the fork an easier incline.

Trail out to the loop portion is easy with lots of stream crossings. Loop portion is moderately difficult. Great trail!

I've been hiking this trail for 2.5 years now, the best place to take dogs off leash in close proximity to the Fort Collins area by far. Shade, water, and beautiful sights both on and off the main trail. Highly recommend but be weary of growing popularity this summer. People seem to be branching out past Gray Rock and coming here. Best to be early morning if trying to avoid the crowds. Cheers!