Hewlett Gulch Trail

Hewlett Gulch Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Recommend going on overcast/cooler day. Also trail would prob be best on a bike vs hike- good spot

Great trail, calm the first couple miles and a good workout on the loop. Garmin says about 8 miles round trip. Took me 2 hours, but I went clockwise (easier) on the loop.

Good hike, went on a hot day so it was unfortunate that not much shade was available on the loop. The loop felt really long. Bring plenty of H2O!

This is a great trail for dogs, most of the trail is creek side.

At some point they have re-routed this trail to make the left turn route a little less steep.... the entire hike with loop is 8.3 miles. At a ‘junction’ with the old trail, you can see evidence of where they filled the old trail with rocks. Long, steady incline if you go right... shorter, steeper incline if you go left(not too hard). Water levels low this year, so all stream crossings are easy. Friday morning, early July and only a few other hikers.

Hike is nice and easy, good for families and small kids. Be aware: my boyfriend and I hiked it yesterday with our dog and came across a huge rattlesnake sunning itself on the trail. Be mindful of your surroundings!

Went June 21. The first branch (prior to the loop) is pretty and scenic with lots of wildflowers and butterflies. The water crossings were really shallow and I found them easy. Water proof boots can walk straight through most. As others have said, if you’re with small children or at all feeling like I was starting the loop, turn back there. The loop felt SO LONG with no shade and no water for the pup. Poor pup was looking for any little shade she could fine. I’ve done this trail twice; once starting the loop to the left and the other starting to the right. It’s a STEEP climb to the left, and I found the right more enjoyable but not necessarily easy. Bring LOTS OF WATER. I drank every drop of my 3L, pup drank a full bottle and at every water crossing, and we were both happy for the gallon jug in the truck when we made it back.

Not too exciting of a trail, and just a ridiculous amount of stream crossings, some that seemed unnecessary. Seemed like a great trail for dogs though, we were some of the only people without a dog. Nice enough if you just feel like getting out and hiking, but nothing too special in my opinion.

Enjoyable hike, but we went on a fairly hot day. Not much shade available. Lots of little butterflies along the path. Not very many people on the path (Thursday afternoon in May). Some spots where you step on rocks to cross the river. Beautiful drive and lots of picnic areas along the way with outhouses that are well kept.

I went with my 4 year old daughter. It was wonderful! Until the loop. If you are going with young children I would recommend turning around at the loop. It gets pretty hard after that. We saw more butterflies than I have seen at one place and they were everywhere for the whole hike.
There was a very angry rattle snake on trail so watch out and listen out! All and all this was a great trail. There is a bathroom at the trail head but no water. We brought 3.5 liters of water with us and finished it all before the end. If you bring a filter there is plenty of places to get more water (before the loop)

Went hiking yesterday 5-7-2018 the entire route. Glad I brought a sandwich, snacks and 3 liters of water, The mileage recorded on my Garmin device (satellite tracking) starting and finishing at the parking lot was a total of 8.5 miles. Flowers were in bloom. Butterflies at water crossings. A group of 9 Bighorn Sheep (males) were on the hillside about two miles into the walk. And no snakes seen. Recommend going in the early AM. And if walking the entire loop, I suggest wearing sturdy shoes.

As described it's heavily hiked allowing all age groups and abilities. The elevation gain is gradual allowing my 2 year old to walk along with us with ease. Parking lot is likely to be full and plan parking on the road. This is a very common place for dogs (leashed and unleashed) and do bring doggy bags to pick up their poop.

Hiked this early on a Sunday morning. Only saw 2 other hikers the first 6 miles, and they were on their way out. Very quiet and peaceful with the early start. Saw one deer and a group of 7 mountain goats. Lots of pretty views, mostly looking up at ridges and peaks surrounding the gulch. Lots of stream crossings on the 2 miles prior to the fork. All are easily traversed with stepping stones without getting wet. Different types of views once you emerge up on the ridge at the north end of the hike. Saw lots of hikers the final 2 miles as I left (they were coming in). Only 3 other cars in the lot at 7am when I arrived. When I left at 10:20am, the lot was overflowing onto the road.

The trail is in great condition right now and all the stream crossings are super easy to manuever. There are a number of wild flowers blooming right now, and the weather was excellent! This trail is the best for wearing the dogs out, but I saw a number of folks leave their dogs poop behind. Please pick up after your dog so this trail will continue to be enjoyable for everyone.

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Fort Collins area as pups are allowed unleashed. It’s fairly easy with great views and lots of streams. Parking is very limited and there’s no trash cans at the trailhead.

Very much enjoyed this hike! At the fork, headed to the right, definitely not as steep as an incline as when you go to the left. Very relaxing hike but a good workout. Some wild flowers already out. At a mild to moderate pace, take about 3 1/2 hours.

Great hike this afternoon. We brought both of our Golden Retrievers. They loved the stream crossing, which there were several of. Definitely would recommend this hike.

Great hike with some good views! Relatively easy hike, although depending on which direction you take at the fork for the trail loop it can be challenging. I, personally, went left at the fork, which takes you up a series of switchbacks. Going right takes you through a more gradual incline of the mountain I found as I traveled back down from the loop. There are also quite a bit of small stream crossings, too. Trail is also mountain bike and dog friendly.

As it clearly states, this is a DOG FRIENDLY hike. So there will be a lot of dogs on this trail and they will be off leash. If that's not your style, there are plenty of other hikes in the area, such as Grey Rock just down the road, where dogs are on leash or not allowed at all. Go there! Or don't complain. This is an awesome, beautiful hike that people can enjoy with their dogs. I would have given it 5-stars except parking can be a problem and there are no trash cans at the trailhead.

It was BEAUTIFUL! Definitely a must see !

Great hike, beautiful views. Too many unleashed, unruly dogs for my pleasure.

I have done this hike a few times and it’s been beautiful every time. It isn’t too difficult and it’s right near Ansel Watrous campground, another beautiful place. This hike has beautiful scenery and so many little streams. Highly recommend

Go up here all the time. Lots of water crossings for the dog, the loop makes its way through the burned area, presenting some obstacles, otherwise, very serene and one of my favourites!

Nice little hike. It is easy, even kid friendly, until the loop. Then it gets harder. We love to be able to have the dogs off leash (under voice command). We started in the morning. It was nice and quite. On the way back, it was getting crowded and parking seemed to be a lot more difficult. Seems like we took another trail which we probably walked an extra mile. It took us 4.5 hours (we stopped 2 times to snake). It looks like there recently was fire damaged but overall nice hike. I would not recommend it for bikers though...

Fun and easy trail with several gentle stream crossings. Nice aspen and cottonwood trees with beautiful colors in the fall. Despite what this site says, there is no leash law for this trail. The trailhead specifically states dogs must be under voice control, not on a leash. This is my favorite off leash hike close to FOCO. Unfortunately, as of late, I have had many run ins with tense hikers that are upset my dog is off leash. If you are uncomfortable with off leash dogs, or have aggressive dogs on a leash that you don't want greeted by off leash dogs, please look for another trail.

Took the kids the dogs and the neighbors on this hike this morning. Excellent hike!

We really enjoyed this hike. Several creek crossings with well-placed boulders, great scenery, and a nice warm up and cool down with the easy portion of the trail from the trailhead. The loop portion is totally exposed, but is a great workout. I suggest going counterclockwise for a more gradual increase in elevation, but clockwise will get your heart pumping. I'd start early, if possible, especially on a warm day if doing the loop. And bring plenty of water for you and your dog.

Went out today for my first time with dogs. Trail well worn, mostly as a single track. Dogs allowed. And Mountain Bikers too. Several water crossings with rocks stratigically placed to help keep your feet dry.
Only went the two miles out and back, which excluded the loop, because of the warm temperatures and exposed trail due to the lack of trees; to keep my dogs safe. Brought plenty of water, but would recommend a very early morning hike if taking your dogs.
Will definitely return again.

The straight out and back section was enjoyable. If you are doing the loop at the end, I suggest you bring lots of water. The whole loop is exposed with no shade, no water and a pretty decent incline no matter which direction you pick. We chose counterclockwise and I think it was a more gradual incline. The clockwise direction starts out with a much steeper incline, loose rocks and lots of switch backs. I'd do this hike again but on a very cool day.

Friday, August 04, 2017

We love this trail. Typically we go on off days because it can get super crowded and people don't control their dogs well, but the trail is really nice!