Herman Gulch Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,755 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Well travelled / maintained trail. Don’t worry... in about 15-20 minutes you’ll forget all about I-70

icy

This is one of my favorite trails and I was unable to tell from the comments how serious the snow was. I decided to try my luck and have some regret. I was able to get to the top without poles, spikes, or snowshoes but its was physically draining. Lots of knee deep snow and slipping. If you have snowshoes more power to you, you should be all set. Otherwise you probably want to wait 2-3 more weeks. Definitely go hit this trail some point in the summer tho, the lake at the top is incredible.

This hike was great. Left the parking lot just before 9am. The last half of the ascent was entirely in snow, I required snowshoes for this portion. Although I think someone who had passed me on the trail made it up earlier in the day with only boots. The snow conditions were pretty good on the way up but slushy and soft later in the day. The lake is still frozen over and covered in snow.

icy

Great views. Trail is muddy and has large snow patches but was perfect for the dog to play in! Only saw about 10 people total on the trail today. Plenty of parking. I don’t normally hike with poles but I would had used them if I had them just for the snowy parts. Maybe it will be melted in 2 weeks...

Post holing knee/hip high all the way down to where the valley trail turns to dirt in the trees.

icy

Do not go to the top without snow shoes. We got up there fine but the way back was difficult. Kept falling hip deep into snow and it was very hard to get out of. Wait till snow melts more and don’t go if you’re a beginner during May.

Completely beautiful hike and end destination. Getting there at the moment is nearly impossible if you don't have snowshoes. People have started a path that does not lead to the gulch at all, so be aware of where you are at if that is your end destination. We started around 9 in the morning, didn't have too much difficulty in the beginning, but as the snow began to melt, it was post hole central. Kept falling through the snow to my knees and sometimes hip. I would wait a little longer until the snow melted some more.

Great hike, lots of traffic, hikers and bikers at the beginning of the hike!!

icy

Lots of snow on the trail. Started at 10 AM and only post holed 5-10 times on the way up. Came back down around 1 and post holed a lot more. The footprints don't actually take you to the lake, so I stopped to the left of it (very scenic as well). Did this with spikes, no snowshoes needed if you do it in the morning before the snow softens.

icy

Although the trail is mostly covered in snow, it was great to start out in the AM on hard pack. Some post holing on the way down but nothing that isn’t manageable.

Herman Lake frozen and covered with snow. Currently would not recommend unless wear quality snow shoes or planning to ski. Multiple post-holing areas making hike difficult.