Herman Gulch Trail

Herman Gulch Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Directions from Idaho Springs, Georgetown: Take exit 218 off of I-70. At the stop sign turn right and then turn right again and take the frontage road east to the parking area. The trail begins by the restrooms in the parking lot.

Wow, what a great hike. Went on A Monday and parked at 6:30 a.m. Only 2 other cars in the lot at that point. The first 2 miles are pretty clear other than some mud. The last mile or so is in and out of snowfields. There are good packed down trails but every now and then, I stepped in to waist deep snow. the wildflowers are blooming already - so beautiful. The lake is still fully frozen over. Saw a few more people on my way down. My only complaint - people leaving dog poops bags everywhere. I was able to fill a whole trash bag of poop bags and litter in the parking lot.

A good amount of runoff is trickling down the trail still, and several streams crossing the path. I'd highly recommend waterproof shoes but you could probably get by without them. No snow at the bottom of the trail but the final mile has a fair amount. Nothing terribly deep, it's mostly packed down, but enough to lose the trail. I went a little later in the day and was able to follow the footprints no problem to stay on trail, but use your map if you plan on going early. I unfortunately got blown out by a massive thunderstorm just shy of the lake so I didn't get to see it, but I hear the snow cleared up and the lake was still beautifully frozen!

Did this hike two years ago. Challenging and beautiful. May do it again this weekend

Bring sunglasses and know that the lake is still frozen over at the moment. Still a great hike with amazing views. Deep snow near the end. I went crotch deep at one point. Hiked back about a mile into the trees to camp. Saw a Marmot too!

Herman Gulch is one of our favorite trails. The hike starts out quickly with some decent elevation gain. There is a lot of runoff right now so I would recommend waterproof hiking boots for this trail. About a mile and half up the trail turns completely to deep snow. It can be tough to find the trail at times but generally if you keep heading up the Gulch you will be moving in the right direction. We brought microspikes for the bottom of our boots and they made a huge difference in traction.

covered with snow at the end, made it more interesting