Hells Hole Trail

Hells Hole Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1961 feet

This is a very popular trail leading up into the glacial cirque known as Hells Hole. Traveling along West Chicago Creek, the trail climbs for a mile to a bench above and west of the creek. The trail continues climbing less steeply, through lodgepole forest and into the bristlecone pines. The trail ends at timberline in Hell's Hole, in an open meadow at the base of Grey Wolf Mountain

beautiful hike, fog rolled in as storms we're developing making it serene, spooky and spectacular all at the same time. lucked out on timing on this one.

Follow the dead end road all the way to the end, past the campground to find the parking lot and trailhead. (I lost service about half way up and just crossed my fingers!). Great moderate hike, very light traffic (on a Monday)!

One of my fave trails... nice little work out. Quite Trail

Nice easy trail. Nothing that spectacular.

Solo backpacked this trail over the weekend - a perfect out and back with just enough elevation gain on the way in to keep me huffing and puffing. Really felt like I'd earned my dinner by the time I set up camp! Just a gorgeous spot at the end of the trail - had the whole meadow to myself (and some elk and squirrels). Totally worth it - but make sure you bring plenty of water! There's no easy access to water for the first six or so miles so if you're going to filter at camp, make sure you've got enough to get you there first.

Good but not awesome

Really like this trail. Nice to. E by the water. Saw a few nice people. Will do this one again.

Very pleasant trail and hike. Nothing particularly unique or special about it that makes it stand out from among many other typical "hike up a gulch to a cirque" out-and-back hikes. I think "moderate" is a fair rating - there are no particularly challenging spots or slopes. The first third of the hike has some steeper, gravelly sections that make make you work, but after that it's pretty gentle. We enjoyed that the trail went among a number of bristlecone pines near the top.

We hikes this on 8/20/17. A perfect day to hike, and an awesome trail. This is we well marked trail, with alot of places to camp if you wanted to. we arrived at 09:30 am, so there weren't many people on the trail. there are a lot of Aspen trees on the way up, so this will be an awesome trail to hike in the fall when the leaves turn.