Heizer Trail

Heizer Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,460 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fairly steep switchbacks in a heavily wooded area. Near the top, some nice views down Hwy 24 and the Springs. Rock outcroppings also provide nice views of Pikes Peak Hwy. NOTE: There is no parking at the trailhead.

Amazing hike, but harder than expected. 30 years old, and the switchbacks, inclines, and slippery pebbles made it quite the challenge for the first 2 miles (especially with the dog). The best views are at the rock formation at about 1.6mi up. The rest of the way in was a nice walk with a few peeks at the lake and we turned around at the creek bridge which was 3.8 miles in. If you’re looking for the lake views in some of the posted photos, it seems to be off limits to go all the way in so don’t count on that!

I recommend this trail if you are looking for a challenge. Bring poles and good shoes. Lots of trees, but lots of sun so wear hat and sunscreen. This hike was 8 miles, not 5. Be sure to reach highest elevation for panoramic view and see the white flag. We reached creek at end of trail. You can go left or right to follow the creek, but we were never able to get to it to enjoy. Careful not to slip on the way back down! Took us 8 hours with short breaks!

Awesome trail.

Beautiful trail with several breathtaking views. Very intense slope most of the way. I couldn’t make it to the top. But the end is equally challenging just in a different way.. wouldn do again with more experience.

This is an amazing trail and is the ideal Colorado workout. I hiked the trail with my corgi in the early morning, in August, on a Saturday and only met a few people. Parking is an issue, I parked in the town of Cascade and walked up. A lot of noise from 24 so you will hear that for about the first hour; however this trail is worth it. The trail is narrow all the way through, which I like, but others may not.

Definitely a trail of steep switchbacks and beautiful views! Wouldn't want to come down with a wet trail, due to the slopes of the trail. You'll want sunscreen on this one--not a lot of overhead coverage.

Hiked this during the late afternoon of 8/3/19. The first two miles are especially steep but provide good views of the highway and mountains. The last mile is through the woods - much quieter, flatter/downhill, with views of Pikes. There is no one scenic point that you hike to but could make it longer by connecting to the other trails nearby. We stopped once we got to a creek and only saw one other person the entire time. Parking is a little tricky - there’s no parking at the trailhead or road to the trailhead but we stashed the car in a gravel area at the bottom of the hill which seemed to be okay. A nice hike for a good workout and Rudy’s bbq afterwards!

No parking at trail head! Parking available very close, near the small park. Awesome switchbacks, Fairly steep incline the first 2 miles. Very enjoyable! Will explore again, connects out to other trails!

Hidden gem. Tourists tucker out quickly and rarely will you see people head past end of trail to the best view on the southern front range !

I live this trail but make no mistake that it's a butt burner for the first couple miles, I think as hard as the Incline. Once you crest the hillside (and the traffic sounds disappear) the aspen groves are gorgeous. Keep walking a bit farther on this trail to an intersection just above a lovely creek to extend this to about 7 miles. You can also connect this to Barr and then Pikes Peak, just know where you are going first.

Great trail for a workout on the lower part although there is a lot of traffic noise. Once past the initial climb, the trail becomes very nice and offers options for making longer hikes, including a nice (rather long) lasso hike through hurricane canyon and Barr Trail.

This hike definitely lives up to its hard rating, as the first thing you experience are steep switchbacks/elevation gain for roughly the first 2 or more miles. The trail then does a slow decline into the valley, and as you walk you are able to see Pikes Peak come into view between the trees. I would recommend hiking this on a cloudy day, as the first half of it is on the east facing side of the mountain and the sun heats up quickly even in the early hours of the morning. I also would recommend hiking poles. It would be doable on the way up without, but on the way back down the switchbacks the loose gravel and steepness can get the better of even well versed hikers. Parking was definitely difficult as the trailhead is located in a small neighborhood. There is only one lot that fits about 5 cars (full by 8am), so I opted to park down in the dirt lot right off of RT. 24 and Fountain Ave, and walk the extra .5 miles up to the trailhead. It’s also definitely a longer hike than the app says, even without me parking down the road. The trail is not very crowded. I only passed about 6-7 people on the trail and it was 4th of July. Finished in 4 hours including breaks. Beautiful views throughout, and definitely worth the time and effort!

Great hike. Starts with steep switchbacks right from the start. We followed the trail all the way down the back side of the mountain to the T Junction by the river, which has signs for the Barr Trail and Hurricane Canyon. More tricky coming back as lots of loose dirt on the way down, poles came in handy. No parking at trailhead. Right after one way bridge parking is off to the right, only enough for 5 cars, in residential neighborhood. Road walk up to trailhead. We got the last spot at 7:20am on a Tuesday! Only saw 3 other people. Fields of purple flowers lining the path and saw a few yellow lady slippers.

Short and sweet. Definite trail to follow which we liked. Probably belongs in hard category due to the steep grade climb.

I bet on a clear day this hike would be outstanding, but unfortunately today was very foggy and views were limited. This hike definitely earns its hard rating, but only because of the grade of the incline/decline. Parking is very limited but I was easily able to find a spot at 8am on a Saturday morning!

Challenging but really a safe and consistently above average quality of actual trail surface the whole way. There's a little area of loose gravel in one leg, but it's also in one of the few spots with a good overlook, so I didn't mind it. My 13 yr old border collie had no issues whatsoever. We headed back at the watershed. I'd consider doing it again with others at a slower pace. The steep beginning slope is there to remind you of your age on the way back down. But we made great time on the return trip compared to tackling switchbacks on the ascent. Definitely recommend this hike. But hard is accurate based on the other hard ones I've done via Alltrails and can compare with. Misty and drizzled the whole way. But I like that compared to blazing hot. I carry gear like I might have to hole up and shelter when CO does what it does sometimes. Finally, read the reviews here about how to to park! Dead on.

The hardest part of this trail is... parking! I went up to Anenome Rd to look for a dirt pull-off. It's a residential area so you have to be cognizant of people's space, however there are two dirt lots near the Heizer trail start that both probably fit 2-3 cars. Neither were marked to my memory. The trail itself is a challenge but really fun. You get a wider and wider view of the highway with each switchback. Once you start getting further into the mountain there are a lot of wild flowers and boulders that make for cool photos. There are several bouldering opportunities if you want to lug a crash-pad up that far, but the boulders are sharp and mossy on some sides.

Hiked on June 8th, 2019 This was an amazing trail, yes it is hard but just pace yourself, it is so worth it. Dont worry about the no trespassing signs, take the risk, the lake is only 5 minutes past the signs and is absolutely beautiful. No way am I hiking up a mountain to be turned around by a sign when I'm that close, just be respectful, don't leave garbage dont disturb the water, take some pictures and leave. You have to scale up a big rock wall to get to the lake but just take it easy. I'm 20 years old, in very good physical shape, and I made it from the start of the trail to the water reserve in 2 hours flat. With enjoying views and breaks the round trip was about 5 hours. Bring lots of water I ran out up top and was wrecked after the hike, it was 90° though. *look for the photos uploaded by me* also add me on Instagram too darianbeglaw

We parked on the bottom of Anemone Hill road in a small dirt lot off of the road then walked up to the trail head from there. Overall was a super tough hike. The first few miles or so is a pretty intense uphill climb then levels out towards the back half. You get some pretty awesome views of pikes peak highway and pikes peak. All trails said 5.6 miles and I ended up walking 7.7. The lower half of the trail towards Barr trail is pretty pointless if you’re only trying to do the out and back. It just takes you down to a small stream. I wanted to check out the lake but there’s no trespassing signs everywhere.

Amazing hike. Yes it’s difficult because of the elevation gain but definitely worth it. Bring water for your pooch as the only water is at the point were I turned around. Definitely a do again

great hiking trail.

This was definitely a hard trail. The weather was cool and foggy towards the beginning of the trail however, as we kept climbing in elevation the temperature dropped down to freezing. We couldn’t complete the trail due to too much ice on the trail. For the most part it was beautiful! We will be coming back to finish.

2/3 of this trail were great. The middle 1/3 was terrible. AllTrails says the trail follows a creek bed up a canyon. There is no trail. You have to bushwhack your way for almost 2 miles. Besides that mess, the rest of the trail is in great condition

Rain, snow, hail, 20+mph wind, lots of sunshine, 6.6 miles, 2385ft in elevation gain, 2325 calories burned, sore calves and sunburns. But we’ll worth the trip! Trail is clear yet remote, some steep grades with loose gravel, you’d want to bring trekking poles if you have them. Seen a few groups of people, almost no trash or dog poop, ALWAYS a plus. Would recommend this trail!

Beautiful views and a very good thigh burner even for experienced hikers. I think the distance is a little more than quoted and took more time than I expected. Budget 4hrs for an enjoyable hike and adequate breaks. No parking at the trailhead. Had to park a few hundred feet down the hill.

This one is a thigh burner. For me anyway. Probably one of my favourite hikes. The views of Pike's Peak are awesome from the top. I've never made it to the end of the trail for various reasons. Mostly time. the initial climb can take longer than expected and the total distance is longer than reported

A lot of snow. Took my dog. Bring yaktrax. We didn’t see anyone.

Went today....needed spikes and poles as the trail was snowy/icy and super slick. Saw mountain lion tracks and no other hikers to speak of. Great challenging trail with stunning views

Definitely difficult. Like others have said parking is just at the intersection of two small streets. Definitely have some kind of spikes or poles. My shoes were rugged and I still had to be light on my feet on the way down. If you don’t want to see signs of civilization, this isn’t the trail for you. I enjoyed it for sure!