Heizer Trail

Heizer Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fairly steep switchbacks in a heavily wooded area. Near the top, some nice views down Hwy 24 and the Springs. Rock outcroppings also provide nice views of Pikes Peak Hwy.

Beautiful and strenuous hike! Good workout. Trail surface conditions are a little slippery but not terrible if you wear good hiking shoes. I made it down without slipping using no trek pole or walking stick.
There is no obvious place to park, only a a turn around dirt lot, not far from the trail head. Very limited space for parking- but on that note, I didn't see anyone else the entire time a spent hiking.
There is a beautiful lake, Manitou Lake about 3 1/2 miles in. When you come to a T, turn right and follow until you come to a large earth/rock dam. There are signs telling you not to trespass in watershed. I can not advocate trespassing but there is no other way to see the lake/reservoir that I am aware of. There is also no side trail I am aware of to get to the shore of the lake. You just have to kind of find your own way up. It is worth seeing. I did not feel as though anyone would care that I trespassed to look at the reservoir, but that's just me- as there was nobody up there to see me doing it.

I was hiking this one with a 30lb ruck on. First 2 miles are pretty steep and loose granite. Can definitely get slippery in spots and take its toll on your knees on the way down. Others have spoken about the reservoir, but I never came across it. Eventually the trail intersects a "T", which goes to the Barre trail. I was already dodging lighting at that point, so wasn't going to go any further with the storm clouds moving in on me.

Overall, I would actually rate this moderately difficult, since Mt. Rosa is listed as the same difficulty level, and that is way more intense (especially if you climb the waterfall). I handled it pretty easy with the ruck sack on, and the only real difficulty was on the way down, and primarily due to the pack. Nice hike though.

We used this trail to prepare for pikes peak. I preferred this trail over Catamount because the reservoir you come to near the end of the trail is secluded and not loaded with people. The trail the first .5 miles wasn't difficult but once you get beyond the first .5 mile it definitely gets a lot steeper. A walking stick for the way down is highly recommended to help with the loose gravel. The descent was definitely hard on the knees but the view was so rewarding! It took us 3.5 hours to reach the reservoir (we stopped and rested with snacks at the top of the peak) and about 1.5 hours to get back to the car. Not for beginners!

Loved it

This is a great trail to take after it rains since going down is much easier

Hiked in the area for years and never even knew about this trail. Wanted a steep hike to train for a big backpacking trip, and this was perfect! I was a bit nervous reading the reviews about the steepness and gravel in places, but it was doable and having my trekking pole made it a lot easier! I can see how it would be tough on older folks though. We hiked up to the 703 French Creek sign/connection to Barr Trail, which made a good turnaround point. Glad we started early because the sun is intense during the first part of the trail. Saw probably a dozen people on the trail, including a mountain biker. A runner ahead of us apparently had spooked a bear, so that was exciting, although we never saw it.

This is a wicked hike, not so much for the steepness, but the surface. It is the most slippery non-ice terrain we have ever encountered. It is a thin layer of gravel over dirt and is not so bad going up, but watch out coming down. And kind of a dearth of implanted rocks and roots to help you out. The first half mile seems reasonable, then it gets really steep. At 2 miles it levels out, and then goes down hill. You can go as far as you want, as it hooks into Barr Trail to go up Pike's Peak. We went out 3.5 mi, turned around and began the treacherous descent. (We are 66 and one of us has artificial knees. Maybe you younguns won't be bothered by the slippery surface.) Pretty hike, nice views of Pike's Peak. Takes a long time to get beyond the noise of the highway. Good workout. Not crowded. Depends on your goals. I won't do it again.

If you want to do the Manitou Incline without all of the tourists, this is the trail to be. We only saw 2 people throughout our 4 hours on the trail (Hiked on a Friday). The first 2 miles were steep and strenuous, definitely not a beginner's hike. You get good views of the highway and of Colorado Springs but that is about it. The trail is heavily forested and towards the end, you get majestic glimpses of Pikes Peak. If you are looking to push yourself and get a great workout in, this is the hike for you.