Heizer Trail

Heizer Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Fairly steep switchbacks in a heavily wooded area. Near the top, some nice views down Hwy 24 and the Springs. Rock outcroppings also provide nice views of Pikes Peak Hwy.

This is a wicked hike, not so much for the steepness, but the surface. It is the most slippery non-ice terrain we have ever encountered. It is a thin layer of gravel over dirt and is not so bad going up, but watch out coming down. And kind of a dearth of implanted rocks and roots to help you out. The first half mile seems reasonable, then it gets really steep. At 2 miles it levels out, and then goes down hill. You can go as far as you want, as it hooks into Barr Trail to go up Pike's Peak. We went out 3.5 mi, turned around and began the treacherous descent. (We are 66 and one of us has artificial knees. Maybe you younguns won't be bothered by the slippery surface.) Pretty hike, nice views of Pike's Peak. Takes a long time to get beyond the noise of the highway. Good workout. Not crowded. Depends on your goals. I won't do it again.

If you want to do the Manitou Incline without all of the tourists, this is the trail to be. We only saw 2 people throughout our 4 hours on the trail (Hiked on a Friday). The first 2 miles were steep and strenuous, definitely not a beginner's hike. You get good views of the highway and of Colorado Springs but that is about it. The trail is heavily forested and towards the end, you get majestic glimpses of Pikes Peak. If you are looking to push yourself and get a great workout in, this is the hike for you.

Great hike, very steep and challenging at the beginning for maybe 2 miles. Beautiful views with regular spots for lookouts. We parked in the dirt parking lot then walked up the hill to the trailhead. Several people parked on the side of the road in front of houses. The trail was surprisingly well marked throughout.

Truly great hike with rewarding views throughout. Parking can be scarce so I'd plan on early morning hikes (before 930). The incline is quite the aerobic workout and the back descent can be hard on the knees, but the views and occasional wildlife make this an awesome hike!

I am training for Kilimanjaro and will be using this trail quite often! Love how it connects to Barr Trail for another way to summit Pikes Peak. Also very VERY strenuous at the beginning of the hike. The switchbacks remind me if Bright angel trail in the Gran Canyon. They seem to go on forever but offer a great workout. Turn right and step past the barb wire when you get to the creek and you'll see a reservoir right in front of Pikes Peak. Absolutely beautiful view! It's just a Utilities office and they won't say anything as long as you just enjoy the view.

THAT was one difficult trail for me! PHEW! The loose gravel seriously steep single-track switchbacks were difficult for me to descend. I'm not even sure trekking poles would have helped me feel confident on the descent! I enjoyed the challenge, but I'm not sure I would repeat it!

Great trail, and good workout. Awesome views of hwy 24, Waldo burn area, Pikes Peak. I suggest at least one pole, as little steep and slick on snow/slush this time of year.

No parking at the trail head.....

Such a beautiful trail, only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because it is so steep coming down.

Great hike with awesome views of Pikes Peak, Almagre Peak, and Mt Manitou. Make sure to head all the way back to see the reservoir.

Beautiful views, worth the steep climb at the beginning!

This is a challenging hike with quite a few steep segments not far from the trailhead, but once the first summit it's a great opportunity to focus on the surroundings, and reflect on the climb up as you trek across the Pike Forest. The end of Heizer Trail meets Trail 703. Following this trail to the right connects with Trail 638, which will bring you to Barr Trail about 2.5 miles below Barr Camp.

Tough for the first two miles or so, but make sure you climb the rocks at the top for a stellar view of pikes peak. Keep hiking to go by manitou reservoir and eventually meet the Barr trail.