Heart Lake via Rogers Pass Trail

Heart Lake via Rogers Pass Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Lots of parking at Moffat Tunnel.

It was spring at the start and snow pack at top. But I loved it

This is a beautiful hike! it was my first time backpacking with my husband, and we brought our dog. the scenery is beautiful and the hike is not too strenuous if you are in decent shape. I have chronic pain and back problems, so I wasn't sure how well I would do. but we kept pace with other active hikers just fine. The last mile is the most exhausting, as it is steeper than the rest, so pace yourself.
my only complaint is that many people had their dogs off leash. Some of them were behaved, but most of these off-leash dogs were getting up in my face or aggressive with my dog. I know your pup loves to run around, mine does too, but please keep your dogs leashed!

Overall, an excellent hike and several good camping spots.

Completed on 10.22.17 so it was a snow hike. Didn’t use crampons, micro spikes, or snowshoes though. Snow was packed down. Very little ice and easy to avoid. View at the top is insane. Make you pass the first lake and climb up to that baby ridge so you make it to heart lake. Heart lake isn’t as pretty but that view looking down on Rogers lake is spectacular. Loved it!! Looks like it has lots of aspens so a good fall hike. And plenty of meadows for wildflowers :)

I loved this hike and not too difficult, it was perfect an overnight, but would be nice for a day-hike too. The payoff of Heart lake is amazing. I suggest to carry on the trail up towards the pass to get some incredible views above treeline. Every trail from the Mofat Tunnel trailhead is worth it.

Great hike and views. Arrive early to get the best spots around one of the two lakes. Hammocks are quite popular and worth bringing along.

We camped at the first little lake just off Rogers Pass Trail below Heart Lake. It was immensely beautiful, but the entire campsite was littered with broken glass. I picked up a heaping handful of shards, and also cleaned up a pile that someone else had made at the base of a tree. There was still so much more that we weren't able to gather. :( No way can anyone chill at this campsite barefoot, despite the otherwise soft and inviting dirt. Newsflash: good beer comes in cans now.

Beautiful trail, rocky with lots of roots. Mostly shady until you reach the lakes. 8.8 miles from the car. Stunning views at the top. Still lots of flowers and waterfalls.

Beautiful hike with great views! We came at night to camp off the trail then stayed at Heart Lake the second night. Not to many people there thank goodness! Be sure to set up camp behind trees so the wind doesn't get you!

Really beautiful mixed terrain trail. The wild flowers were amazing. Great views.

Fun hike, made it out right as torrential rain came in

Arrived Friday and left Saturday, hardly any people around. The wildflowers are beautiful and still in bloom! Camped at rogers lake, and heart lake is 15 minutes uphill from camp, so hiked that in the morning. Beautiful views! Winter park is visible from the other side of the continental divide, you can also see moffet tunnel from there where the cars are parked too.

Wildflowers were amazing today. Would have been even better had the sun not been hiding behind clouds, but still a gorgeous day. Trail was really muddy in a few spots, so good boots are a good idea. Creek is running fast and beautiful drops. Loved the views looking down at lakes from trail up to divide. Great workout, great views, great flowers. And not too crowded.

While the parking area at the East Portal Trailhead may seem intimidating (dozens of cars were parked there on a Sunday afternoon), the trail itself wasn't too crowded. We (two humans, two dogs) had two instances where we stepped aside to let groups of ~10 hikers pass. Our intention was to head to Crater Lakes, but we were caught up in the sights, smells, and sounds and completely missed the turn-off. What a delightful mistake we made. We had Heart Lake to ourselves for 45 surreal, serene minutes. If the owners of Russo the brindle Great Dane see this, please tell him Boone and Goose love him!

Gorgeous hike that rivals some of the best in Colorado and even RMNP with all of its relics, wildflowers and cascades! Would be a fun one even for young kids just to go in for a short bit to see the first cascade and flowers (from Moffat Tunnel East Portal). The hike is mainly forested which is fantastic for hot summer days. No beetle kill. Just delicious smelling forest and flowers and cascade after cascade. But the real reward was reaching Rogers Pass Lake! I camped there because I thought it was prettier than Heart and had more tree coverage for protection. However, the second night I was there it was as if a plane dropped off 100 backpackers and suddenly there were tents every 20 feet! Saw some horrible habits like not hanging food properly and cooking in camp. Felt more like a campground party than a wilderness experience at that point. Hundreds of dayhikers coming in on my hike out at 8am. Dogs all off leash (against the rules). Trailhead completely full. Go during the week if you can. If not, it's still worth it even with the masses of people.

Trail was beautiful towards the last two miles. Meadows, streams, wildflowers, scenic bridges all made for a great hike. Muddy towards the last half mile right before Rodgers. We camped at Rogers but went to the top to see Heart Lake. Moderately trafficked on the weekends.

Beautiful for hiking or camping. However, this is NOT a lightly trafficked trail. Coming back down this morning after a night of camping, I passed no less than 50 people. The parking lot is big, and it was nearly full. And no, you do not need a high clearance vehicle. The road is a little rocky toward the end, but I went there with my two wheel drive Chevy Cobalt and had no issues.

Do you need a high clearance vehicle to make it to the parking lot??

Nice trail. Worth it to hike in the afternoon, less of a crowd. Lots of backpackers doing a one night trip. Constant drizzle of rain more refreshing than a nuisance.

This was a great hike- challenging enough to make it feel like a workout, awesome scenery, and 3 lakes towards the top were a nice little reward. Definitely recommend!

Came in closer to 101.5-hr miles. Went over 4th of July weekend & it was quiet - maybe 30 people the entire 10-mile hike. Small snow fields a few spots on the trail, no crampons needed.