Haynach Lakes Trail

Haynach Lakes Trail is a 14.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Great hike. No snow. No bugs. I did see a park ranger smoking a cigarette on the trail. That was very disappointing

Backpacking trip June 1—3, 2018. This was a fairly moderate hike even with a bacKpack. We stayed at the Tonahutu horse camp site after making an attempt to reach Haynack Lake on the first day. The reviews that talked about the trail not visible is true if you are rushing. Thru careful use of the AllTrails app and the downloaded layers we found the trail but decided to proceed the following day. We started late and sun was setting. You need daylight to get an accurate read of the trail. Downed trees and about 90% of the trail covered in snow as you start from the HAYNACH LAKE. (LLAMAS PERMITTED) trail. ⬅️ this is the trail you have to be on to go to Haynach Lakes. You will start uphill and about 1000 feet the snow will begin. The whole area is covered in snow 100%!
You will need snowshoes. Or you will post hole. Most definitely. You will see two lakes before you get to Haynach Lake. And they were frozen 100%. Gorgeous area! Well worth the effort and I agree with AllTrails. This is a lightly traffic area that I favor myself! Nobody was on the Haynach Lake Llamas trail at all. The best!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Haynach Lakes Trail is amazing, so ignore the reviewer who gave it three stars. That reviewer is correct that it is not easy to get to, but with that said, you will not see masses of people there. When I was there, it was just a few people doing some fishing and one biologist studying fish populations. I did this trail as part of a five-day loop from Grand Lake, starting on the Tonahutu Creek Trail and passing over the Bighorn Flats to the North Inlet Trail. Unforgettable scenery! Haynach Lakes is a side-trip of that loop that is well worth the time. In addition to this, I would also recommend bushwhacking your way up to Bench Lake from the North Inlet. Tough hiking, but absolutely stunning.

Monday, September 02, 2013

Getting to these lakes definitely requires staying at one of the backcountry sites overnight. We stayed at Lower Granite Falls, and went to the lakes from there. The turnoff for this trail was tricky, because the sign only indicates the Haynach camp site, and not that the trail continues on the turnoff itself. The rest of the way to the lakes seemed farther than our maps indicated, and after a steep incline the trail more or less evened out into lush fields, which eventually led to the lakes. When we were there in August no one else was around, and there were still some snowfields around the first lake. While they were nice to see, I feel like there are more picturesque lakes in the park that take less effort to get to.