Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Haviland Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 554 feet Route Type: Loop

Please be sure to come prepared and to check the weather forecast ahead of time for this trail. It has been reported that this area is subject to dramatic changes in the weather.

Excellent trail to hike. Road is blocked off due to construction, but it's an easy walk from there to the trail head at the campground. This trail offers a sample of all kinds of terrain typical of this area. The western part of the loop is relatively level with some low hills toward the south end. Green, grassy glens with wild flowers are frequent throughout the entire loop. The south part of the loop features an old mine site with a placard describing some of the history there. The western side has more elevation changes but nothing difficult. Also, much of the trail on that side follows a creek that is flowing full right now. Great for dogs and kids, too.

Very nice trail. I enjoyed the variety of the trail; rolling forest, meadows, rugged rocky terrain with cascading creeks. There are numerous other trails in the area. I took a pic of a trail placard and uploaded it. I needed to use All Trails to stay on the correct trail. Currently they are draining the lake. Working on the dam/road/???? The road is blocked off a half mile short. There is a parking area right there on the South side of the road. There is a trailhead right there for the Aspen Loop

Very poorly marked trails - lots of metal posts with nothing on them. I enjoyed it and did fine with All Trails Pro, but 3 separate couples stopped me to ask how to get back to their cars. For such a clearly popular trail, one would think they would have it marked better. Flowers were gorgeous and 1 stream crossing.

Would highly recommend for anyone trying to get a good 5 miles in. Considering my dog and I are from Chicago, I’d say I’m very proud of her accomplishment on this trail. I would advise to continuously use AllTrails, as there aren’t a lot of markings to follow and for the most part we just made this our own. There are a ton of trails that intertwine, but it was a great adventure that included many river crossings and waterfalls.

It was a great hike there’s many different paths that you can choose from once you get to the campground. We chose the low route never got to the lake but we did get to the mining camp where we had to cross over the creek is super easy. However, I do recommend hiking shoes because you walk on a lot of small jagged rocks.I wore my broke shoes got through it even with my dog. Very nice hike

ohv/off road driving

Beautiful for a casual hike with the dog or a trail run. You’ll have to cross the creek once using the nearby logs. I mention this because it wasn’t immediately obvious to me!

Enjoyed snowshoeing here today!

Snow shoeing in the snow fall!

Actually snowshoed down into Chris park campground

There really isn’t a Haviland Lake Trail. There is a whole trail system East of Haviland Lake which is what this loop is apart of. Technically, the route shown here is Haviland Veiw > Cowboy Cutoff > Waterfog trot > Wagon > Miners trace. This route clocks more like 5.5 miles too. I’ve uploaded a photo of the whole trail system if anyone is interested since the trails system is not shown on the app for some reason. As others have mentioned, lots of trails interconnect. Trails are poorly marked and without the app, one could easily spend more time than planned. Lots of horse poop. As for the day, Not a big pay off view to be found, but a nice Late fall day hike. Parts were covered in packed snow. Elberts creek is raging due to the lake being drained. I took the log across the creek. My partner went barefoot through it. The waterfall and creek crossing were the highlights. Compared to many hikes in the area, this is one of the easier ones for sure.

Great quick hike! Beautiful setting trough the woods along a creek with water falls.

This trail is wonderful. We are beginners and had an easy time. It is about 70% shade. There is one part of the trail where the creek has overrun the path but we got across by balancing on a log. The water was about 2 feet deep, or we would’ve just walked through. The only downside to the hike is that there is horse poop the entire way. People really need to have a bag behind their horses. It’s a shame. It borders on littering.

Great hike through the pines, beside small falls, then out in the sunshine. We saw a huge Great Horned Owl. All Trails came in handy keeping us from accidentally diverting onto other trails. Will definitely come back to this area to hike other loop trails here.

Hilly, water crossing, waterfall. Good for a short hike. Dog friendly

Beautiful trail! Way too many forks. Download your map. Lots of horse poo. Pretty stream for some of it and Mountain Views. Rocky. More like 4.2 mls

Very pleasant walk through the woods.

Lovely trail! Half of the trail has sun exposure and the other half is woodsy - basically be sure to bring sunscreen and bug spray. There are a few turn offs so I agree that downloading the map was very helpful in certain spots.

Definitely would do this trail again. There were lots of mosquitos/bugs due to the weather (rain) this year. The trail isn’t mapped well, but using the app while on the trail helped. We didn’t do the whole trial because it wasn’t marked well of which way to go so we went shorter, but it was very enjoyable. Starting right seems like it would be the easier hike, but starting from the left wasn’t bad. There is about an equal amount of shade to sunny and narrow trail and open spaces. The lake is also really nice and you can hear and see streams along the path.

Great hike. bugs present but not too bad if you keep moving.

Agree with several of the reviews regarding trail markings so be prepared with a map or a good overview of the trail options. My stars are based on the mosquitos, if with kids who are not accustomed, be ready for a shorter hike!

Mostly wooded with some nice meadows... I went in June and there were swarms of mosquitoes, especially in the lower areas. I was in the area for a limited time and, while the hike was pleasant (and very accessible, even if you’re struggling with the altitude, which I was!) I probably would not have selected this hike if I had it to do again, but would do a bit more research into what the area has to offer. Download the map - we would have taken several wrong turns without it. The trail is not marked.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Having worked in La Plata county and knowing search and rescue volunteers, I find it unforgivable that trails in areas where the weather can turn at any moment and getting lost isn’t just a “bummer,” it could get you killed are more often than not not marked at all. It is a beautiful network of trails with a system that could easily be expanded, the cross country skiing tags on some portions of some trails. Great for dogs-I brought mine and she had a great time-and a fairly decent workout. “Moderate” is accurate. But bring your gps device and changes for weather. Without the AllTrails app I would probably still be wandering around!