Hartman Rocks Loop

hard 73 reviews

Hartman Rocks Loop is a 14.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gunnison, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.3 km Elevation Gain: 312 m Route Type: Loop

The Hartman Rocks area offers high desert riding in a 6,000-acre basin. Funky granite formations, slickrock, sand, and sage add to this geological curiositys appeal. The Rocks, as Gunnison locals call it, is a mountain biking area replete with interconnecting trails. This route skirts the perimeter of the Hartman Rocks area and follows, in part, the Rage in the Sage course, Gunnisons annual mountain bike race. Although the trails throughout Hartman Rocks can get confusing, this shouldnt deter you from riding the Rocks, as efforts are continually being made to distinguish the right from the wrong way. Take notice of smaller rocks or sticks imbedded in the ground across a trail, signifying a wrong way. Observe branches lying parallel to a trail, seemingly pointing the right way. In general, look for natural reference points, which might otherwise seem out of place: a stacked pile of rocks (cairns), orange tape, painted arrows, or even arrows drawn in the sand. Terrain: Jeep road and singletrack. The trail rolls over hilly terrain and through sagebrush meadowland. Much of the terrain is hard-packed, but there are a number of rocky and sandy sections. Some sections go through riparian areas. The area offers seemingly endless miles of singletrack and dirt road that break off in every direction.

Lame! If you come to Gunnison to hike don’t hesitate to pass this one up. No real challenge, and a good view of sage. No real flowers, or views, just a ran down ugly part of the Gunnison Valley. Go somewhere else in the area. There’s way to many places around Gunnison that are way more beautiful.

This trail network appears amazing for mountain bikers, but it was still pretty fun to hike around with our dog. We just had to be very aware of downhill bikes. There is no shade, but fortunately we went on a cool day. The views from The Ridge and Golf Course trails were amazing too. Due to the elevation gains and nature of the mountain biking usage it is definitely a Moderate difficulty level. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the best part. Since it is BLM land, the dogs can be off-leash!!!

Wonderful trails and variations. So many interconnected trails that you could run whatever distance you want. Not a mtn biker, but if I was, I think I would want to ride here. Fun trails and great views. Started to get a bit crowded for me by the time I left mid-morning, on a beautiful Saturday in June.

Mon Sep 17 2018

TONS of trails...it's difficult to keep on any one single trail as they intersect or dump you out into a road and you pick up a new one, but there's so much exploring to do. The trails are usually easy to spot. Bring lots of water and sunscreen since there's little shade. Enough variety here to make your hike as easy or as difficult as you like. Would love to camp here sometime.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Hands down one of the best places to hike. You get gorgeous views, multiple hiking and climbing options, and even great for trail running and hill repeats. Best of all, it’s just on the outskirts of Gunnison and two miles from the KOA so this could easily be incorporated into your daily routine.

Tue Jul 24 2018

tent camped at a site within Hartman Rocks for two days - it is very quiet, with gorgeous views in all directions; on the first night it did rain for a while and was pretty windy so if you’re looking to tent, make sure you have everything staked in securely during the daytime, it may get quiet warm so be sure to bring plenty of water if you’re not looking to leave and head into town

Fri Jun 29 2018

this was a great hike!

Mon Jun 04 2018

Great trails and beautiful sunset point view!

Tue Oct 24 2017

I could explore this place for months and still not see everything. It's quite a climb, but the views are incredible!

Sun Oct 15 2017

Started from the Hartman’s parking lot and reached Aberdeen Quarry, then crossed the stream and got into the nice single track of the Aberdeen Loop, which was my final destination today. Used the double track roads to go home quickly and easily after the long ride. This route goes deep in HR but enjoyable! Make sure you have enough water to go this much far.

ohv/off road driving
Mon Jul 24 2017

Love Hartman

Tue Jul 11 2017

What an amazing place!!! Great camping spots and amazing views!!!

Sat Aug 27 2016

Great hiking.. Easy to moderate. Fun to mountain bike too

Sun Apr 10 2016

Hartmans is always great. Some of the best desert single track in CO. If you don't like technical, stick w the greens and figure out which way is downhill for them because they are still very much a blast.

Sun Sep 06 2015

Hartman's is a great place to do almost every outdoor sport know. With cool caves and hiking trails and biking terrain, it is worth it to visit.

Sat Aug 08 2015

Great place for trail running

Thu Jun 25 2015

Rad trial. Great for mountain bikers and hikers alike. It's also perfect for dirt bikes and other assorted off-road vehicles. There are many camp sites as well

Tue Apr 14 2015

We loved hiking Hartman Rocks! Both my daughters (ages 3 1/2 and 2 years) did their fair share of climbing rocks and hiking up. No 13 miles lol but did a good fun chunk of the trail and thoroughly enjoyed it and the views!!

rock climbing
Wed Jun 25 2014

Did some free climbing with the kids. Lots of fun. Make sure your vehicle has some clearance, a few rough patch.

Sun Mar 09 2014

What a beautiful, endless area to explore! My dog had a great time running around, and we only saw a handful of people out the whole time. We were hiking, which got a little difficult in the snow at times, but not too bad. We saw a couple of people having a good time on skis. I hear the area is primarily used for mountain biking in summer, but there were signs for all kinds of permitted activities- hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, biking, horseback riding, etc. What a great area, and super accessible from town!

Sun Aug 08 2010

My Experience Seeing as Hartman Rocks was just 2 miles from where I was based, I took my time getting ready. It was a fantastic day to ride, clear blue sky on a crisp Friday morning. I started riding at 10am, and there were just 2 cars in the lot, that was an excellent sign. I sent all in all just over 7 hours riding all the trails I came across. START Jacks Trail Tailpipe The Ridge Top of the World Alonsos Behind the Rocks The Luge Buddy Bear Dirty Sock Dave Moes Enchanted Forest Skull Pass Aberdeen Loop Outback Back in then followed the dirt road back to Josies back to START In the whole 7 hours that I was on the trails, I did not come across anyone, until the last hour, and then I came across 2 people on a moto trail bike, and 1 group of 3 bikers. I enjoyed every minute of all the trails I did, and would definitely recommend Hartman Rocks. Conclussion Where do I start? I spent more than 7 hours on these fantastic trails, and it seemed like 2 hours. the combination of great weather, excellent trails, no people and stunning views, made my day a perfect one. If like me, you love to bike in open rugged spaces with stunning views and fantastic singletracks, then Hartman Rocks is definitely gonna put a smile on your chops For me it was a perfect day, and I give Hartman Rocks a perfect 10/10 Other Info: Traffic on Trail : 2 people on a motorbike and 1 group of 3 bikers Wild Life : a snake Scenery : Fantastic Scenery Other : My experience might have been different if I did this on a weekend or after 4 o clock.. My Trail Rating : 10 / 10