Handies Peak

Handies Peak is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake City, Colorado that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

skiing

snowboarding

Love this hike!!! Do it, you will not regret it!!!

Awesome hike my first 14er! Wildflowers blooming all over so gorgeous!

Wow! The most beautiful 14er we've done. Wild flowers in full bloom. Mountain steams, waterfalls, and amazing views from the saddle to the summit. A must.

first 14er in the san juans, it's far away from civilization, and the American basin during labor day weekend is so full of color.

My son and I tried for Handies in Oct. of 2013. We got to American Basin and started in on the hike. There was snow right off the bat but it wasn't enough to keep us from going. We got just below Sloan Lake and decided to take a short break. While sitting there, my son became ill due to the elevation so we turned around right away and went back down. I believe we would have made the top if it weren't for that. I would try this again some time as it is an easy 14'r for the most part. I will say, the road over Cinnamon Pass and down to American basin is as ugly as it's always been. There are some really nasty sections along that. Once again, my Expedition handled it all, but I had doubts a few times about clearance. 4 x 4 for sure here

We did this hike in July of 2015. It was our first 14er. We had no problem getting to the American Basin in our jeep. The wildflowers were beautiful and Sloan lake was spectacular. It was a little difficult near the summit for us since we weren't use to higher elevations but was well worth the extra effort when we reached the summit.

Absolutely stunning scenery once you get above tree line. We hiked up Grizzly Gulch and it was definitely harder than I had planned, but having a dog who was sick all night didn't help. The views were spectacular and the ptarmigans were in abundance. Hiked in September, it was quite chilly in morning and there was a bit of snow on the trail. We will definitely do this earlier in the year and leave the dog at home.

Gorgeous summer hike! It's one of the easiest fourteeners as the trail begins slightly above tree line and is very smooth passing through less than 1/4 mile of scree field along the beautiful route. Anything higher than a typical car should make it. We did it in a Crosstrek and didn't scrape once. To continue past the trailhead turnoff and over the pass to Silverton you'll definitely need a HC vehicle with low gearing.

Saturday, September 03, 2016