Hallett Peak

Hallett Peak is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,254 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hike north around Bear Lake about 1/4 mile. Follow signs to Flattop Mountain. Enjoy the Dream Lake overlook on the way. On Flattop enjoy the views on the continental divide, when ready turn south and follow the ridge trail up to the peak. Watch out for rain/snow on the top. Return the way you came.

Did Trail yesterday with the only group to summit. 20-30mph winds, hard to see going to Hallett. Lots of snow which was mostly packed down prior to climbing the ridge and side of Hallett. There are parts of thigh deep snow that I fell into. Microspikes and trekking poles were very helpful. Bring many layers because it was very cold at the top with the wind! Very cold for about 2-3 hours of this hike above tree line. Once below tree line it was lovely

Did this hike 11/2. Brought snowshoes but only ended up using the microspikes, snow pack is pretty dense.

We have done quite a few hikes in RMNP and this one blew us away as far as beauty! We are from Iowa in our upper 30s and in decent shape. Did this hike on day 4 of our trip. The hike took us just under 7 hours with about 40 minutes at the top and quite a few photography stops along the way. The hike is a nice steady incline without a lot of steps so while the hike overall is a decent ascent it didn’t feel as strenuous as other hikes we’ve done. We left the trailhead at 6:52 and there was plenty of parking even though it was free day in the park. Our starting temps were mid to low 40s and ending was 54. It was really foggy to start but cleared up in the subalpine tundra and we got to hike above the clouds. I took 3L of water and drank 2L. We took beanies, face shields, gloves, and insulated packable jackets and wore it during parts of the hike. For the majority of the hike I wore a cami, long sleeved layering top and a thin vest and a pair of leggings. Then added the jacket as needed in the tundra. Hope some of this is helpful.

9/18/2019 This was a large loop. Starting from Bear Lake TH, I went up to Flattop Mountain, summited Hallet’s as well as Otis Peak, down Andrew’s Glacier, up to Lake Haiyaha, past Dream Lake and Nymph Lake to complete the loop back at Bear Lake TH. It was a wonderful hike, very windy at the top but beautiful nonetheless. This trail is recommended as an out-and-back however this loop is definitely manageable despite the lack of a clearly defined trail from Hallet’s to Otis Peak.

Snowshoed this in April 2019. Started before sunrise and was just getting to tree line as the sun started coming through the clouds. Amazing morning. The wind was brutal, but the views were worth it. Definitely want to get back out when it’s clear of snow. There were a few sections where rout-finding was tough with the snow. Looked like people had taken a few different routes. Downloading the map on AllTrails was super handy.

Great trail! Suitable for anyone reasonably fit and altitude-acclimatised. Arrived at trailhead 0630 on a Sunday and parked easily. Take sunscreen as you’re above tree line for over half the hike. 5.5hrs for me with at least 30mins on top and several photography stops. Trail gets faint near the top but if you follow the cairns you’ll be fine. Highly recommended.

wonderful, steady incline with several nice areas of flatness (including tabletop mountain), rocky, not too difficult. elevation and being acclimated is probably the biggest part of this hike. if you are sea level dweller you should ideally take at least 1 to 2 days to acclimated... I didnt have as much time (did this within 16 hours of arrival in Denver) so I took some acetazolamide and decadron prescribed to reduce risk of altitude sickness. j got up 520 am and drove to a mostly empty bear lake trailhead by 6 am. started 615 am and finished at 100 pm (6 hours 45 min) which included a restful pace and lots of leisurely stops along the way and 30 minutes atop Hallet Peak.

Fun hike and a summit a flat lander like me can complete. Beautiful views the whole way.

Really beautiful views and the scramble to the top is really not long or difficult at all. Just bring sunscreen bc it's exposed probably 2/3 of the hike.

Very nice trail, good to ask some directions before you leave, as Hallet Peak itself is not on the signes.

I've hiked in RMNP for about 15 years. This hike has some of the best views that I've experienced in the park. I did it in about 5 1/2 hours (pretty fit individual), and I wasn't in a huge hurry to do the hike. Would recommend having layers because it will get a little chilly at the top.

Fabulous views ... nice hike and not terrible tough for >1200

Incredible Total 10 miles to hallet peak

Amazing hike with my son and son-in-law! At 60 years old I was mostly looking at their backs on the way up and down. It was definitely worth the effort for such a beautiful 360 view of Rocky Mountain national Park. It took us about 6 1/2 hours round-trip including about a half hour at the top. Be ready with layers as you get to Flat top. The wind was blowing pretty hard and temp dropped from lower elevations. I’ve hiked a lot of trails in many national parks and rank this one at the top.

This was a great trail for my first hike in RMNP. I arrived at Bear Lake area around 2pm on Wed 8/20/19. The parking lot was not full, despite the road side signs leading up to the area, I would recommend driving through the parking lot to check. Since I was getting a later start I didn’t want to be worried about making the last shuttle back to the park and ride (which later proved to be the right decision). The trail was not marked as Hallett Peak, but just follow Flattop Mountain Trail, uphill all the way to the top. It was a very nice hike to Flattop but as others have mentioned it is definitely worth the extra distance and climb to Hallett Peak. The only sign I saw on top of Flattop pointed out other trails, Hallett was not marked but branches off at this sign, following the ridge line up to the peak. The trail gets much rockier here and you can loose site of it for small sections, but staring at the peak in front of you, it’s pretty clear where you’re heading by this point. There was some minor scrambling along the way but very manageable. The 360 views up on top were amazing and worth every step to get there. There was a slight wind with occasional gusts but it wasn’t bad. Based on other reviews it sounds like I got lucky on that one . I sat at the peak for about an hour, enjoying a snack and taking in the Rockys, but then I had to hustle a bit on my way down to get out before dark. I would highly recommend this trail if you’re up for a 3250ft hike.

Going to Flattop is nice, but continuing on to Hallett makes it extraordinary. As others have indicated, the bit from Flattop to Hallett end in a rock scramble, but nothing terribly difficult - just keep plugging away. It was so windy at the top, I had to do several tries at taking a panoramic pic with my phone, because I had great difficulty just holding the phone steady! Being an old-timer (71), the round trip (including a circuit of Bear Lake to wind down) took a little over 7 hours.

Third time was a charm getting to the top. I just love how many people help you get it right.... arrive before 7 am, bring lots of water, bugs repellent and clothes for at least 3 climates! Along the way fellow hikers volunteered to take pictures for us (my two sons and me). This is definitely a hike that requires prep but the March to the top is amazing.

When I made it up to Flattop Mountain I was still not impressed, but once you make it up to Hallett Peak it is 100% worth all of the effort!