Hallett Peak

Hallett Peak is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike north around Bear Lake about 1/4 mile. Follow signs to Flattop Mountain. Enjoy the Dream Lake overlook on the way. On Flattop enjoy the views on the continental divide, when ready turn south and follow the ridge trail up to the peak. Watch out for rain/snow on the top. Return the way you came.

Beautiful hike! Definitely one that lives up to the 'Hard' difficulty level. Pretty windy up there so carry a warm jacket. Also if you bring lunch, wait till you get to Tyndall Glacier. It offers an amazing view of Dream Lake and the entire valley.

Beautiful summit, quite busy.

Awesome summit. We got to the park at about 8:20 and bear lake parking was full, the park and ride was easy though. Great look outs at spots below the tree line and amazing views above tree line. Marmot and Pika were everywhere. Fun climb to the summit, rocky and steep but nothing crazy. Had to race a storm down that rolled in as we were descending, but we were prepared. No snow on the trail anymore. I highly recommend this trail.

Great views. I posted a trail review on Flattop.

I am a 54 year old novice hiker. My son and I hiked this trail the first week in September 2017. The round trip took a solid 10 hours, but we stopped regularly and enjoyed the views. Unfortunately there was heavy haze due to wild fires in Wyoming. But it was an adventure that we thoroughly enjoyed. I look forward to hiking again on a clear day. There were ample Pika, Marmots and a few Ptarmigans. Overall it’s a great hike, even for a beginner.

There is still few feet of snow under the treeline. Gets very windy in the open and got lost couple of times but gps helped to keep us on track. Shoes got stuck in snow and were completely wet by the time we got down. We got in by 6:30 am and parking lot almost empty on memorial day weekend. it was crowded by the time we got back though.

Great views of almost all major lakes in Estes Park and wonderful views of Moraine Park. Lots of Pika, Marmot, and lovely Columbine flowers! Must get there before 6:30 if you want a parking spot at the trailhead. Trailhead begins at Bear Lake...ugh...Uber popular. However, the park and ride 4 miles before the trailhead goes pretty quick with the free shuttle. Enjoy!

Very well marked trail nearly to peak Excellent views. Got at trail head at 7:30 am on 6/28 with many spots available but could be full by 8:00. Shuttle comes to this trailhead so very busy trail. Steady climb throughout but very doable peak.

This hike is the reason I moved to Colorado five years ago. I’ve summited in March, Summer and October. Hike it for views or for time. Just do it.

Hiked this on Monday. Incredible hike with a tremendous payoff. There was a small bank of snow to climb through before reaching the top of Flattop, but otherwise pretty much snow-free. The elevation gain was consistent through most of the hike. Absolutely stunning views throughout the whole hike, seeing several different lakes and mountains during the ascent. At the top, there were some overly-friendly pikas. I could not recommend this hike more! Get an early start to avoid the afternoon heat.

After knowing about this trail for over a decade and reading about it for about a year I checked it off the list this week! Amazing experience and my first real difficult high altitude hike. As other have stated the gauntlets are the several hundred feet snow post holing snow field and the steep boulder field to Hallet's. Overall very worth the effort and planning my next hike ASAP!
Words can not describe the feelings of what one sees on such a hike!

We did this last Sunday. Couple hundred feet of snow to navigate between the hitching post and Flattop but it was very easy with trekking poles and I saw plenty of people do it without any poles. It was incredibly windy above the tree line -- continuous winds at probably 30 MPH with gusts above that. Definitely made the hike a bit harder! Glad we packed lots of water and layers. I did below the tree line in a tank top and pants, from the tree line to the hitching post at Flattop with a long-sleeved merino base layer, and used a fleece for the hike to Hallett Peak. Very thankful for whoever built the windbreaks that we huddled behind to look at the views and gobble down snacks.

Gorgeous views, of course. We also saw lots of marmots and even a few pikas, as well as the usual chipmunks begging for food. (Please don't feed them!) We are from Kansas and this hike took us 8 hours, although I believe we had something like 1.5 hours of stop time according to the GPS. Probably because we needed to stop and take a dozen pictures of every marmot we saw.

If you want some pretty sweet panoramic views this is a good one. The snow is melting but there are some annoying spots a couple miles into the hike. I have microspikes but didnt bust them out at that point. There is a snowfield that's a few hundred feet wide about a mile away from the peak that is very manageable. I put my microspikes on before I went up but I think with good foot placement you can manage without them. It was really slushy when I was coming back.
The whole hike is a pretty moderate incline until you get pass the snowfield I mentioned. You get a break for a little bit until you start the ascent to the Peak. The trail for Hallett starts at the sign that points you back to Bear Lake 4.4 miles. Watch for cairns for they are well placed and you will see them until a couple hundred feet from the top. I didn't see them anyway and made my own trail. Its no big deal, the top is so close at that point. Awesome views! Also watch for Marmots there is a lot of them and they will try to sneak into your bag if you set it down and go take pictures.

Fun hike! Definitely start before 8am to get to the top before noon as you’ll notice the weather starts to change quickly most days. I lost the trail a fair amount of times thanks to the snow and other peoples foot prints, but the map and some common sense helped to fix that! Don’t give up when you get to the top of Flattop Mtn, go the extra distance to Hallett, it’s definitely worth the extra push though it looks daunting in the moment! Lastly, still 3-4 feet of snow below tree line- I brought micro spikes but barely used them. Snow shoes might’ve helped, but it’s more that slushy annoying snow that you’ll be dealing with. Definitely wish I had brought my gaiters though! Happy hiking!

Get an early start for a couple of reasons: 1) To get a coveted parking spot! It will be swamped when you return; 2) To be at or above tree line at sunrise.

Very good hike and great views from the top. Don't the 9.2 miles fool you---you'll feel more beat up than a 9 mile hike.

Well worth doing...and doing again.

March 25. Still very much winter in the mountains. Micro spikes necessary, especially during AM hours for mostly hard-pack snow and ice. It was sunny so the snow became slushy into the afternoon. Snowshoes would have been helpful. We got slightly off-trail coming down towards tree line, must have missed a cairn. Be aware of this on your way down.
Overall beautiful hike with great views!

March 14... micros spikes needed... snow shows suggested mainly for coming down in slushy snow... this hike was really good... not until hitting the tree line on the north slope does the wind pick up. My guess 70 miles per hour. Make sure and bring face coverage as the last half mile you are walking into the wind with complete exposure. View are amazing and getting to the top was not to hard.

Loved this hike! It had everything from breathtaking views to animals to scrambling up rocks to summit!

Did Flat Top to Hallett - very good workout, great views, definitely challenging but rewarding! Very steep with elevation gain. Need lots of water + snacks!

I loved this trail. I am a total rookie and the people I met were wonderful. I learned that I should have taken a day to get used to the altitude. Spectacular.

This is the second time I have hiked to the summit of Hallett Peak. The first time was 37 years ago. That time I kept going along the crest, glissaded down Andrew's Glacier and out that canyon. Today it was up and down the normal route. A terrific hike but the wind was fierce from treeline on. I'd guess it was a pretty constant 40 mph with higher gusts. The top of Hallett was windier and colder, though the east side was a wee bit calmer. Took some summit shots and headed down to 70 and relatively still down on the valley.

If you're in RMNP, crave a summit hike, and don't want to wake up at 3am to tackle Long's Peak this is the perfect hike for you. Go early to avoid crowds and get a parking spot at Bear Lake trail head. The sunrise in the park is awesome in itself so that's reward enough. Bring a layer for wind/cold once you reach Flattop. The trek to Hallett's from Flattop is marked with cairns so just take your time and you'll love the view from up top.

Best hike I have ever done. Be careful going to the summit, lots of rocks to climb over.

I am a very inexperienced hiker, so this trail was probably more difficult for me than it would be for someone who hikes frequently. I didn't really know what to expect. I was blown away by the scenery on the way up. You get great views of Longs Peak, Emerald lake and Dream Lake. Once you make it to Flattop Mountain it's about a 15-20 minute climb to the top. The view is absolutely incredible. It's something I will never forget.

My tips for any new hikers attempting Hallet peak. Bring plenty of water. Eat a nice breakfast. Bring a protein bar, or two. Be prepared to need multiple layers, and be ready to take some of that off. By that I mean, it's cool in the morning when you start, you get warmed up as you make your way to the top, and then you'll be cold and it'll be windy when you reach the summit. Also, bring sunscreen.

Summiting Hallett Peak is no minor feat. From the trailhead at Bear lake, follow the well designated Flattop Mountain trail, through a series of difficult switchbacks, as you run into some truly outstanding overlooks. This is a good trail to start early. If you have headlamps, a 4-5 AM arrival allows you a chance to park at the Bear Lake parking lot, and to go from there. I don't have a head lamp, so at first light-5:30 AM, I began my ascent. Some truly outstanding views the whole way. Watch for the trail markers, and split offs to other trails, as there are a few to stay on track to Flattop. Once you break the tree line, you're getting real close to Flattop. I walked through one of the glaciers that had already been heavily traveled that morning. By about 8AM, the clouds were rolling in, and it started to get cold and breezy. Be prepared with warmer/insulated gear, as it Will come in handy the higher you get in elevation. Also, start early and be comfortable going at your own pace. I made frequent stops, as the 3K+ ft. in elevation gain made me dizzy on multiple occasions. That combined with a bit of Summit fever, and I started to feel a little in over my head. Take snacks and stay hydrated. Once you get to Flattop Mountain, there will be a sign indicating going further to another trail (Not Hallett), and heading back 4+miles to Bear Lake, as Hallet does not have a designated trail Marker, except one plaque near Flattop saying how dangerous the mountain is (helpful!). "The Mountain doesn't care." From there you begin trekking Left, and over a series of small boulders. You'll notice a series of cairns (Large-medium-small size, man-made rock piles) that will be your true guide to the summit. Hiking this morning, I experienced multiple white-outs. Once you get to a cairn, find the next one, and keep going. Rest as needed. The cairns are your friends here. A little difficult to see them as you get closer to approaching the summit, but trust me, they're there, so keep looking, and if all else fails, just keep climbing, as long as you know relatively where you are. The summit is a true trek. I was scrambling a bit, and bouldering in some places. At 12,713 ft. you've finally made it. Two large cairns at the top, and beautiful views of Longs Peak, are such a beautiful reward for this truly difficult and long hike. Make sure you look for the Bureau of Reclamation bronze plaque (or) Geological Marker, that represents the true summit. Get your picture with it! Careful on the way back down. Shouldn't take to long, not nearly as long as it was to summit. Also, Don't Linger at the summit. Rain all morning, before the final approach, made the boulders incredibly slick. Get to the summit, take 10-15 minutes and get out of there. Afternoon storms should be expected, and per the warped and dead trees along the tree line, this mountain is known for its storms and lighting. Play it safe. Start early. Avoid being caught in a storm. Most importantly have fun out there taking in all the beauty that this hike has to offer! Safe travels!

This is the best hike in the park!

Friday, July 21, 2017

strenuous hike, get started early defiantly worth the extra hike to get here

Monday, July 17, 2017

Phenomenal views. Short scramble.

Monday, July 17, 2017

great hike with incredible views

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Well worth additional hike from Flattop. Views are spectacular in all directions. Lots of cairns to show you where 'path' is to top. Sometimes not real obvious from below. Well worth the extra effort with much more incline after easy top of Flattop. Noticeably cooler and windier than Flattop even though not huge elevation change. 50 y/o first time hiker so is doable just take your time and pace yourself.