Hahns Peak Trail

Hahns Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Directions from Steamboat Springs: ACCESS #1: Go west on US Hwy 40 to County Road 129. Drive north, 29 miles to the old settlement of Columbine. With the General Store on your left, turn right onto the dirt jeep road, FDR 490. At this point, private property needs to be respected. Drive 1.8 miles down FDR 490 and it will fork, turn left. After 0.2 miles it forks again, again turn left and park.

off road driving

I was originaly Struck by Lightning while in the Womb on this Volcano in 1989 in July, 22nd I think?? My father died in the Lookout tower and My uncle Aunt and pregnant mother had to come down a different route which is now private.

However I attempted this trail in Aug 17, My first time back to the valcano, however due to incoming storm I did not go all the way to the top, will attempt again next year.

However this was an amazing trip and very rouged and rough, just like a like it. over the last 15 years or so the road has degraded and is more treacherous then it used to be, so make sure you have a lift, but nothing a jeep cant handle.

I want to note that in various spots we encountered frees bear deposits, so do be warned, if you are taking this in the summer and have your doors off on you jeep, might be a good idea to have a some self defence

Completed this trail over Labor Day weekend. There's a dirt road up to the trailhead that gets a little rough as you climbed. We have a CRV and stopped a little short of the trailhead, although we probably could have kept pushing to the top. The trail begin as a continuation of the dirt road you drive in on. Keep an eye out for the trail that will split off to the right after about a quarter mile or so. The trail winds through open forest and proves a healthy mix of sun and shade. The final hump to the summit offers a series of more obscured trails over varying grades of rock and gravel. Enjoy the lookout station from the top. 360 views abound. Entire journey lasted about 2.5 hours.

Although the hike isn't as hard as I thought it would be, it is all up hill. An SUV or truck is recommended to drive to the trailhead.

Steep and rocky. Beautiful views.

beautiful hike! Beautiful view at the top!

awesome view

Awesome hike! Views are amazing! Hour up and half hour down!

Great views! The road to the trail requires high suspension 4x4, I drive an Impreza and bottomed out a few times. The hike is uphill the entire way, but a pretty short distance so well worth it!

Similar to a 14er's, but not nearly as hard of a hike! The fire watch structure at the top was really fun to climb up and view was amazing!

It was not hard!!! At all!!! easy hike!!, the flowers are great the views were smokey, the top was infested with flies and butterflies.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

For the right vehicle, this is an excellent trail. The best trail I've hit excluding the 65 scratches I had to have wet sanded out of a brand new truck.
Trails were super narrow and recommend taking a hedger to make way in the deeper ends of the trail. Amazing jumping hills too.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I am not accustomed to the elevation of 10,000 + but hiked this slow and steady. My hiking poles were a great help as the trail was rather rocky to say the least. It was worth the huff and puff. Terrific views the entire trail from wildflowers to panoramic scenes for hundreds of miles. Many people hiking on this weekend. Dogs would have a tough time on the terrain without booties. The cooler temps as we climbed were a relief from 90 degrees at Steamboat Lake. Bring extra water!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Great hike! No complaints. The road to get to the trailhead is pretty gnarly but with 4WD and taking it slow you can make it up. Beautiful views and some neat things to see: an old miner's cabin, an old mine, and the lookout post at the summit! Very cool!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Second time hiking Hahn's Peak. Big views for a short (but difficult) hike. Be leery of hiking this too early in the season. Went up first weekend in June and there was still enough snow to cover a lot of the trail. We even post-holed up one section! Make sure to follow footprints on your way back down. Very easy to get misdirected in the snow.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

This is a great trail for altitude acclimated hikers. Word of caution. Start early and get off the mountain before the thunderstorms roll in. I was caught in a thunderstorm at the top. I took cover in the look out station thinking I was safe. I later found out that a couple had died doing the same thing I did. Very sad story. Don't let that deter you however. It's a great view from the top.

Friday, July 22, 2011

There are a number of jeep trails in the area. I was the first Jeep to go from Seedhouse campgrounds to Farwell Montain top this year. Tried to make the top of Hahns Peak Monday and we found a huge hole in the trail near the top and snow blocking the last two switch backs. My jeep has 3 inch lift.