Gunnison Route Trail

Gunnison Route Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montrose, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

fly fishing

Intense and steep hike, would not recommend when snow is present due to slipping risks. Beautiful views of the Gunnison river at the bottom, followed by a challenging climb back up. Trail is unmarked for the most part (a few cairns here or there), so take note of your route back when descending. Took about 3.5 hours in snow round trip, but definitely worth it - do a trip on the Rim Drive after, and look down to really put the feat in perspective!

This was probably one of the hardest hike I've ever attempted (simply because of the elevation - about 8000ft at the top, and I'm not acclimatized yet), and while the views at the bottom were nice, I would say that the "reward" wasn't worth the intense effort. Maybe if it was during the summer, and you spent more time at the bottom in the water, etc...
I was able to get from the South Rim Visitor Center down to the bottom in 35 minutes, and it took me 50mins to get back up, but I was by myself and was going quickly. Shaded by trees most of the way down, so there weren't too many occasions to enjoy the view.

Loved it! The feat of reaching the river and looking up is worth any questioning or fear on the way down. Just remember which route you took down as there is no trail per se or markers.

Really challenging hike up and down the canyon, but totally worth it! If you're going to do it get a wilderness pass so the park rangers can talk you through it, so you know what to expect. The views were amazing and the river was beautiful. Exploring around the river was awesome, there were a ton of butterflies. Bring plenty of water and make sure you remember the way you took down so you can get back up! Definitely worth it!!!

Wow. Awesome trail. I am a trail lover and have completed some long and tough "difficult" trails. That was a heck of a mile stretch.
Tips:
- props to the previous post on Poison Ivy. I am normally a shorts and t-shirts - went pants and long sleeves. Was happy I did.

- Tough inclines with loose ground. Take your time and scan routes.

Whooped my butt.

very cool climb down the canyon to the river. Not crowded at all and it's a completely different world down there with black cliff, cactus and poison ivy. make sure to wear long sleeves and long pants!

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Saturday, June 18, 2016

this route is the easiest route to the river from the rim. However, most would find it extremely hard. At one point you have to use a chain to assist in getting down and back up. I did it out and back in one day. If I did it again I would camp at the river and return the next day. Great backpack camp at the river's edge.