Gunnison Route Trail

Gunnison Route Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montrose, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

We backpacked this route and camped at one of the dispersed sites at the bottom. There are three sites, clean with a nice pit toilet. We left around 8am both mornings. The descent took us 1.5 hours and the ascent took us 2 hours. We had rather large packs on. My boyfriend did the route up and back without a pack and it took him 1 hour total. The trail is not well kept and very very steep. There are chains in some areas but not all of the steep slope. We would recommend leaving as early as possible in the morning to avoid the heat. There are some spots the route is not very clear, but with basic trail finding skills you should be fine. I would not recommend this for families or people not used to steep elevation gain. Be prepared with lots of water.

Definitely for experienced hikers who are not afraid of some risk and hard work. Took an hour twenty down moving quickly and two hours up with a lot of breaks in the heat of the afternoon. Definitely worth the trip. trail was discernible and traceable on the way up, just pay attention going down and once you get down, the ranger intends to be overly cautious. Be sure to get a wilderness permit I was checked as soon as I got on the trail (free). Be prepared and enjoy a gorgeous hike

Much easier up than down!

Very adventuresome! I enjoyed the challenge it presented!

Like this place better then mt Garfield

What a hike! My husband and I did this hike in late May. It was perfect weather for hiking. The ranger who issued our wilderness permit made the route sound much more difficult than it really was. Most of the hike was through loose talus and scree and made for some unsure footing at times. The view at the bottom makes the hike worth it. We loved the 80 foot chain. Fun dayhike!

great dayhike; definitely sketchy footing in some areas with plenty of scree and talus fields. combined with the poor footing, the grade is steep enough to provide good entertainment even for fit people.

My husband said it was one of his favorite hikes ever. The route down was difficult because it was pretty steep. Also, we had to stop a few times to turn around and video record directions for the correct route to take back up. There is no real trail and there appeared to be many different possible “paths” to take you back up. Having the videos to refer to helped a lot on the way back because even though we thought we had the route memorized, everything looks so similar that we did question some possible paths. But the view at the bottom is spectacular. We brought a nice lunch to enjoy at the bottom. The climb up was painful. We did this hike early spring and though we’re young (25 years old) we hadn’t worked out all winter but made it up just fine.

“Hiked” this in late March while there was still snow on the ground. The route was very icy until about 2/3rd of the way to the river. The rest was scree field. Very steep, dangerous hike but absolutely worth the challenge. With ice on the ground, it took much longer to complete (5+ hours round trip). Could not have completed the hike without crampons. An ice axe was also an invaluable tool for most of the hike. Easily the most treacherous hike I’ve ever done.

Intense and steep hike, would not recommend when snow is present due to slipping risks. Beautiful views of the Gunnison river at the bottom, followed by a challenging climb back up. Trail is unmarked for the most part (a few cairns here or there), so take note of your route back when descending. Took about 3.5 hours in snow round trip, but definitely worth it - do a trip on the Rim Drive after, and look down to really put the feat in perspective!

This was probably one of the hardest hike I've ever attempted (simply because of the elevation - about 8000ft at the top, and I'm not acclimatized yet), and while the views at the bottom were nice, I would say that the "reward" wasn't worth the intense effort. Maybe if it was during the summer, and you spent more time at the bottom in the water, etc...
I was able to get from the South Rim Visitor Center down to the bottom in 35 minutes, and it took me 50mins to get back up, but I was by myself and was going quickly. Shaded by trees most of the way down, so there weren't too many occasions to enjoy the view.

Loved it! The feat of reaching the river and looking up is worth any questioning or fear on the way down. Just remember which route you took down as there is no trail per se or markers.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Really challenging hike up and down the canyon, but totally worth it! If you're going to do it get a wilderness pass so the park rangers can talk you through it, so you know what to expect. The views were amazing and the river was beautiful. Exploring around the river was awesome, there were a ton of butterflies. Bring plenty of water and make sure you remember the way you took down so you can get back up! Definitely worth it!!!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Wow. Awesome trail. I am a trail lover and have completed some long and tough "difficult" trails. That was a heck of a mile stretch.
Tips:
- props to the previous post on Poison Ivy. I am normally a shorts and t-shirts - went pants and long sleeves. Was happy I did.

- Tough inclines with loose ground. Take your time and scan routes.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Whooped my butt.

Monday, April 17, 2017

very cool climb down the canyon to the river. Not crowded at all and it's a completely different world down there with black cliff, cactus and poison ivy. make sure to wear long sleeves and long pants!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

this route is the easiest route to the river from the rim. However, most would find it extremely hard. At one point you have to use a chain to assist in getting down and back up. I did it out and back in one day. If I did it again I would camp at the river and return the next day. Great backpack camp at the river's edge.

recorded gunnison route