Grizzly Peak and Cupid Peak via Mount Sniktau Trail and Loveland Pass

Grizzly Peak and Cupid Peak via Mount Sniktau Trail and Loveland Pass is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Grizzly Peak D via Cupid from Loveland Pass.

This class 2 is a crazy tough hike, but soooo rewarding. Lots of ups and downs. A 700 foot ascent in the final third of a mile took us close to 40 minutes. Poles come in handy on the descent.

Grays and Torreys loom large, but look for Mt of the Holy Cross, Quandary, Democrat, Cameron, Bross and other 14ers.

You may save some time by turning right about two-thirds of the way up from the trailhead. A cairn marks the spot that takes you towards Cupid.

The altitude kicked this Georgia girl’s butt; oh how worth it! Marked hard ,and it is, but the views... omg!!

Great day. Beautiful weather. Amazing views. Took us from 7:30 to 1:30 but that included photography and break for lunch

Challenging hike at the beginning. Someone noted that it was a good training for a 14er, I agree! You are completely exposed, so do not forget sunscreen. We were not able to make it to the last peak because it started hailing. It's hard to judge a hike when the weather impacts the experience so much. The views were spectacular, just be sure to plan for weather even if you aren't expecting it.

Great hike. It would have been more enjoyable if there was less wind.

Challenging hike - different kind of hike as there lots of ups and downs (two diff summits) so you don’t have the relief of climbing to the top and knowing the hard part is over with! Beautiful views, climb to grizzly is steep so might be best to use poles. Not very crowded either. Took me 3.5 hours

Beautiful hike. Great trainer for a 14er. Definitely tough. But did I mention beautiful?!? It took me, the slow one in my pack with bad knees, 3 hours to the top of Grizzly and two hours back. And I took the shortcut that skips the first peak to catch a glimpse of some amazing wildflowers. To catch the shortcut, hang a right at the cairn about 1/2-2/3rds of the way up the first incline. It’s pretty easy to see and you can see where it cuts across to the low point before Cupid Peak. Lots of up and down!

Started at 6am and got back to find tourists and tour buses blocking cars in the parking lot. A little frustrating but not the biggest takeaway of the day. :)

First time at this trailhead- loved it. As everyone else says- first .75 miles kicks is tough but the views are so amazing you still love it. IMPORTANT: I lost my prescription sunglasses. I think it was where I at lunch- right before the last down before the final summit to Grizzly. If you see them please retrieve and I will reward you along with shipping 973-479-8091 Thanks.

One of the easier climbs I’ve done. The first ascent from the parking lot is probably the hardest part of the trail. I started at 6 and got done around 9:20. Saw a bunch of people on my way back down.

Perfect day. Hiked first hour by moonlight. Not much parking. Get here early.

This hike was incredible!!!! It’s a bit longer than 5.4 mi, I think I tracked it just over 7. Definitely difficult but so very rewarding. The view from the top of Grizzly is just phenomenal. Great view of Torrey’s peak and Chihuahua lake below. On the hike I saw several marmots and some mountain goats. No snow on the trail but there were a few patches off trail that my dog was ecstatic about and had a great time playing in. I went on a Thursday morning and only saw one other person during my hike, coming down from the summit as I was approaching. When I was about half a mile from the parking area on my way back, I did see a couple more people beginning their hike, although a storm was rolling in so I can’t imagine they got too far. As with any big mountain hike I recommend starting early to avoid the afternoon storms. I started around 7:30am and got back to my car around 11:45am. Can’t wait to do this one again!

Beautiful trail and awesome workout. We started at 7:30am and were done by 12pm, taking a pretty generous lunch break at the top and a few photo stops on the way back. The reviews on here don't exaggerate the incline. Boots with good traction are a must, we managed fine without poles. Didn't run into anyone on the trail until heading back. We'll definitely do it again.

Difficult trail but enjoyed it

An excellent hike, more challenging than it may appear. Being on the ridge, the trail gains and loses a lot of elevation, making it a little more difficult than your traditional summit hike. Trail is basically in summer condition; just one snowfield to deal with right now. I'd suggest going left at the rocky protrusion (after descending "Cupid"), scrambling over some large rocks and walking on the firm snow to another rocky scramble and the trail below. The most challenging parts of the trail are the first .8 miles from the trailhead and the last pitch up to Grizzly's peak. Poles might come in handy here due to the well-worn trail (dirt and small rocks makes for a fun shifting surface). The last pitch looks a little terrifying from afar, but it's not as bad once you're on it. The last 200 ft (or so) to the summit are a scramble over large rocks (somewhat of a relief after the small rocks and dirt). Pace yourself and remember that you have 3 substantial uphills on the way back to the car once you turn around. Definitely harder than the Sniktau trail, but enjoyable!

HEY so I lost my eye glasses on the Snigtau hike, they have a gold like frame and G symbol on the side. I left a post on Snigtau trail there and three hikers saw them on top built up rocks on the first summit (Cupid Peak).

But they identified a different pair of glasses on the top of Cupid Peak, which are indeed not mine, weird enough. And I went back to the mountain Monday night and saw that these weren't mine. And the third hiker brought them back to his house, so there are no longer those glasses on the peak. So my glasses are still somewhere on the mountain, so this is just in case someone comes across them, you can text me at 716-912-2711 if you happen to come across them. And if you do, can you please pick them up and bring with you if you're going to the Denver area, and I'll compensate you for the retrieval. Thanks!

I would recommend this hike. It’s short but at altitude so the distance can be deceptive. There is up and downs on this trail. Starting with a large incline at the beginning at Loveland pass. You hit a 13,000ft point, then hit Cupid, then climb down Cupid to Grizzly Peak. it’s pretty steep but at the top you have a chance to see mountain goats and breathtaking views of Grays and Torrey’s. You have the option of climbing the ridge to Lenawee or hiking over to Torrey’s from here as well. If you bring pets be careful. I brought my huskies and one got gores in the chest on this hike. Fun hike overall.

Beautiful hike! Hit two patches of snow, but they were packed down enough to avoid post holing. Honestly, most difficult part was coming down from Grizzly. I was a noob and didn’t bring my trekking poles, but I did just fine. I was surprisingly relieved to see that final hill (there are three substantial hills before the final ascent to Grizzly). Would definitely hike again. Stopped a LOT along the way, and finished at 4 hrs 25 minutes. Not my best record, but it was enjoyable. Would recommend!

The person before my post is a poser.

"Ran" Cupid>Grizzly>meadow in b/w Griz and Torreys and back this morning. Left at 6:30 am and returned at 10:30 am (with some "chill" time along the route). 9 miles and 4500 ft of gain. Beautiful day, high winds but truly getting to summertime conditions. This is a great route, but it is extremely steep (seems that you're at 20-40 percent grade most of the time), so maybe not the best to take your flatlander friends on.

There are 2 snowfields to be aware of at the moment, one coming down Cupid (minor) and one coming down Grizzly. I would avoid the snowfield on Cupid, as scrambling down through the rocks was much easier (took the snowfield on the way back and it wasn't enjoyable). I didn't really see any defined trail coming down Griz into the meadow other than talus, so your best bet is to just take the snow field. I tried to glissade, but it didn't feel too great with corn snow and running shorts. Stopped at Cupid on the way back, turned around to see a large cornice had collapsed on Pt. 12,936. Be aware!

Just did Cupid for a short and fun hike. almost summer like conditions. Trail up was dry with light patches of snow. I would recommend bringing warm gear as the weather changes frequently. A small snow storm hit us, but it was done in 20 minutes. No traction needed.

This was a tough hike, but so worth it!! The views of Torreys along the way up are stunning!! I am pretty sure I was the first to the top around 9:15 am. Spotty snow, if that, a couple of places took a little longer to maneuver through. The final push to the top was completely dry which was definitely a plus. I would do it again but I just moved out here and have so much to explore this summer!

Spactecular views, but very intense ups and downs. We started at the trailhead at 9:15am and a Tuesday. Traffic held us up, we were hoping to start at 8am. We ended up getting off the mountain at 2:45pm.
This event put us back a bit, and unfortunately we were unable to Summit Grizzly.
We did however Summit Cupid, and it was just jaw-dropping.
Careful on the way down from Cupid towards Grizzly,
The path is misleading and covered in snow, and there are a lot of only steep ways down.
Wind was always there. But it wasn’t a bother.
We used yak traks closer to the top.

Bottom line: be prepared for this one if you plan to go far,
But the physical tone and views make it the perfect payoff.

Will be back for Grizzly.

May 8th, 2018 - Breathtaking views. Some gnarly incline, but well worth it. I wore running shoes, wool socks, joggers, and some layers up top along with a hat and was more than fine. There are some snow patches, but they didn’t bother me. Be sure to bring and drink lots of water and snacks. You’re fully exposed, so the wind is fairly constant. But a beautiful, beautiful hike with songbirds flying alongside you!

gorgeous sunrise and the mountain goats were out - great hike

Awesome hike. Tough but amazing views and very rewarding. My dog and I went 2 days ago the hike is just over 7 miles round trip

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Lots of up's and downs.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Started at 10:15a and arrived on grizzly summit at 12:30ish and that was with some decent stops for photos & marmot peeping. It's not that fast getting back because you have the hump in between grizzly & Cupid and the resulting elevation gain/loss will wear on ya! Start earlier though... we were watching some crazy weather coming in at the end! And the wind was pretty intense!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

This was a great hike with awesome views. One of the best parts of it was how few people were there. I had the peak to myself for a while. The trail is pretty hard though with lots of false peaks. The final climb to Grizzly Peak was pretty intimidating but it was worth it once I got to the top.

Friday, July 28, 2017

14er views without the 14er crowd. Was thinking it wasn't that hard of a hike until the last stretch. A couple times you lose elavation and have to gain it again makes it strenuous. Only took 2 hours to get to the summit. Heard Torreys peak is another 3 miles with 1,000' more elevation loss and gain. No map or sign at the trailhead. Parking lot is across from a touristy continental divide pull off so parking fills up pretty quick. Once you get to the first set of rocks piled at the top turn right and follow a small trail.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

This was a a tough tough tough hike. I would recommend hiking poles. Elevation was definitely a factor and had a really hard time breathing. Two routes you are able to take up; straight and one curves to the right. I would suggest one that goes to the right if it is not snow covered. The parking lot fills up quickly so get there early. I only made it to Cupids Peak and my boyfriend and our german shepherd made it the rest of the way to Grizzly Peak. Well marked trail. He said he had to climb some boulders at the end to Grizzly. Lightly traffic.