Grizzly Peak and Cupid Peak via Mount Sniktau Trail and Loveland Pass

Grizzly Peak and Cupid Peak via Mount Sniktau Trail and Loveland Pass is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Grizzly Peak D via Cupid from Loveland Pass.

Difficult trail but enjoyed it

An excellent hike, more challenging than it may appear. Being on the ridge, the trail gains and loses a lot of elevation, making it a little more difficult than your traditional summit hike. Trail is basically in summer condition; just one snowfield to deal with right now. I'd suggest going left at the rocky protrusion (after descending "Cupid"), scrambling over some large rocks and walking on the firm snow to another rocky scramble and the trail below. The most challenging parts of the trail are the first .8 miles from the trailhead and the last pitch up to Grizzly's peak. Poles might come in handy here due to the well-worn trail (dirt and small rocks makes for a fun shifting surface). The last pitch looks a little terrifying from afar, but it's not as bad once you're on it. The last 200 ft (or so) to the summit are a scramble over large rocks (somewhat of a relief after the small rocks and dirt). Pace yourself and remember that you have 3 substantial uphills on the way back to the car once you turn around. Definitely harder than the Sniktau trail, but enjoyable!

HEY so I lost my eye glasses on the Snigtau hike, they have a gold like frame and G symbol on the side. I left a post on Snigtau trail there and three hikers saw them on top built up rocks on the first summit (Cupid Peak).

But they identified a different pair of glasses on the top of Cupid Peak, which are indeed not mine, weird enough. And I went back to the mountain Monday night and saw that these weren't mine. And the third hiker brought them back to his house, so there are no longer those glasses on the peak. So my glasses are still somewhere on the mountain, so this is just in case someone comes across them, you can text me at 716-912-2711 if you happen to come across them. And if you do, can you please pick them up and bring with you if you're going to the Denver area, and I'll compensate you for the retrieval. Thanks!

I would recommend this hike. It’s short but at altitude so the distance can be deceptive. There is up and downs on this trail. Starting with a large incline at the beginning at Loveland pass. You hit a 13,000ft point, then hit Cupid, then climb down Cupid to Grizzly Peak. it’s pretty steep but at the top you have a chance to see mountain goats and breathtaking views of Grays and Torrey’s. You have the option of climbing the ridge to Lenawee or hiking over to Torrey’s from here as well. If you bring pets be careful. I brought my huskies and one got gores in the chest on this hike. Fun hike overall.

Beautiful hike! Hit two patches of snow, but they were packed down enough to avoid post holing. Honestly, most difficult part was coming down from Grizzly. I was a noob and didn’t bring my trekking poles, but I did just fine. I was surprisingly relieved to see that final hill (there are three substantial hills before the final ascent to Grizzly). Would definitely hike again. Stopped a LOT along the way, and finished at 4 hrs 25 minutes. Not my best record, but it was enjoyable. Would recommend!

The person before my post is a poser.

"Ran" Cupid>Grizzly>meadow in b/w Griz and Torreys and back this morning. Left at 6:30 am and returned at 10:30 am (with some "chill" time along the route). 9 miles and 4500 ft of gain. Beautiful day, high winds but truly getting to summertime conditions. This is a great route, but it is extremely steep (seems that you're at 20-40 percent grade most of the time), so maybe not the best to take your flatlander friends on.

There are 2 snowfields to be aware of at the moment, one coming down Cupid (minor) and one coming down Grizzly. I would avoid the snowfield on Cupid, as scrambling down through the rocks was much easier (took the snowfield on the way back and it wasn't enjoyable). I didn't really see any defined trail coming down Griz into the meadow other than talus, so your best bet is to just take the snow field. I tried to glissade, but it didn't feel too great with corn snow and running shorts. Stopped at Cupid on the way back, turned around to see a large cornice had collapsed on Pt. 12,936. Be aware!

Just did Cupid for a short and fun hike. almost summer like conditions. Trail up was dry with light patches of snow. I would recommend bringing warm gear as the weather changes frequently. A small snow storm hit us, but it was done in 20 minutes. No traction needed.

This was a tough hike, but so worth it!! The views of Torreys along the way up are stunning!! I am pretty sure I was the first to the top around 9:15 am. Spotty snow, if that, a couple of places took a little longer to maneuver through. The final push to the top was completely dry which was definitely a plus. I would do it again but I just moved out here and have so much to explore this summer!

Spactecular views, but very intense ups and downs. We started at the trailhead at 9:15am and a Tuesday. Traffic held us up, we were hoping to start at 8am. We ended up getting off the mountain at 2:45pm.
This event put us back a bit, and unfortunately we were unable to Summit Grizzly.
We did however Summit Cupid, and it was just jaw-dropping.
Careful on the way down from Cupid towards Grizzly,
The path is misleading and covered in snow, and there are a lot of only steep ways down.
Wind was always there. But it wasn’t a bother.
We used yak traks closer to the top.

Bottom line: be prepared for this one if you plan to go far,
But the physical tone and views make it the perfect payoff.

Will be back for Grizzly.

May 8th, 2018 - Breathtaking views. Some gnarly incline, but well worth it. I wore running shoes, wool socks, joggers, and some layers up top along with a hat and was more than fine. There are some snow patches, but they didn’t bother me. Be sure to bring and drink lots of water and snacks. You’re fully exposed, so the wind is fairly constant. But a beautiful, beautiful hike with songbirds flying alongside you!

gorgeous sunrise and the mountain goats were out - great hike

Awesome hike. Tough but amazing views and very rewarding. My dog and I went 2 days ago the hike is just over 7 miles round trip

Lots of up's and downs.

Started at 10:15a and arrived on grizzly summit at 12:30ish and that was with some decent stops for photos & marmot peeping. It's not that fast getting back because you have the hump in between grizzly & Cupid and the resulting elevation gain/loss will wear on ya! Start earlier though... we were watching some crazy weather coming in at the end! And the wind was pretty intense!

This was a great hike with awesome views. One of the best parts of it was how few people were there. I had the peak to myself for a while. The trail is pretty hard though with lots of false peaks. The final climb to Grizzly Peak was pretty intimidating but it was worth it once I got to the top.

14er views without the 14er crowd. Was thinking it wasn't that hard of a hike until the last stretch. A couple times you lose elavation and have to gain it again makes it strenuous. Only took 2 hours to get to the summit. Heard Torreys peak is another 3 miles with 1,000' more elevation loss and gain. No map or sign at the trailhead. Parking lot is across from a touristy continental divide pull off so parking fills up pretty quick. Once you get to the first set of rocks piled at the top turn right and follow a small trail.

This was a a tough tough tough hike. I would recommend hiking poles. Elevation was definitely a factor and had a really hard time breathing. Two routes you are able to take up; straight and one curves to the right. I would suggest one that goes to the right if it is not snow covered. The parking lot fills up quickly so get there early. I only made it to Cupids Peak and my boyfriend and our german shepherd made it the rest of the way to Grizzly Peak. Well marked trail. He said he had to climb some boulders at the end to Grizzly. Lightly traffic.

Well marked. We lost the trail at one point and scrambled around some boulders and picked it up easily again. Very windy at different points along the trail but pleasant on top. The steep parts are definitely steep. Used poles coming back.

Definitely a hard trail. I would consider this a class 2. Great views, fairly well marked.

Great views; excellent workout

Great hike. Less crowded than the 14 ers. At top of GriZzlY you can have lunch and watch the masses on Greys and Torrey's and remind yourself why you chose GriZzlY

rewarding hike! definitely a heart pumper and leg burner but worthy for the views :) made it to cupids peak and will be back to go all the waaaaay up to grizzly !!

Stunning and challenging hike. Just got back and my legs are fried. The beginning starts off steep and gets you right into it. After that it's a bit of up and down until you get to the base of Grizzly. Its quite intimidating from the bottom, but oh so rewarding if you make it up the steep ascent. A bit of loose gravel and a little bit if scrambling will be well worth it if you have any energy left by that point.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Not only are the views incredible on a bluebird day, but the ease of access to the trailhead, really fun Scrambles, and the workout provided makes this trail five stars. Do not let 5.4 miles fool you, this one made my thighs burn!

Friday, May 12, 2017

The entire route is above treeline, so beautiful views are a constant. The up and down both ways can get taxing. It feels like more elevation gain than it actually is. Great views of Grays and Torreys from Grizzly Peak D.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Easy with great views

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Loads of false summits made a challenging hike!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

This is a great hike that starts above tree line and rides the ridge. Lost the trail a couple of times in the boulders but it wasn't hard to pick back up.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Great hike close to home we like to frequent. Love the ups and downs to this hike. Even after reaching the summit still a little bit of climbing to do on the way back to the trailhead. As mentioned usually pretty strong winds, and the whole hike is above tree line so plan accordingly.