Grizzly Lake

Grizzly Lake is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Take Chalk Creek Rd. west just south of Nathrop, follow it quite a few miles to the trailhaead.

The first half mile is the hardest. It's incredibly steep and rocky. But once you get past this, it's a beautiful trail with great views and Grizzly Lake is worth the hike. We camped up there for 2 nights, we were the only people up there for one night. We went in August - Be prepared to get ur feet wet, we crossed 2 streams and the only way pass them was through them. The trail seems more popular for 4x4s so expect to see people drive up for the day.

OK, I'm old and not in good shape. I did not make it past, oh, 1.5 miles into the hike. If it wasn't for this great app, I would not have found the trail. The first part was easy, following an ATV rocky trail. Watching the ATV's work was fun. The trail, not long after that seemed to disappear. No semblance of where to go was visible and scrambling among the rocks and semi-verticle mountain was very dangerous. Maybe my choices of where to go weren't the best but I likely fell 5X trying to traverse the thorny bushes and the rocky terrain. One rock cleaved the upper part of it when I stepped on it giving me a free slide into the river. Only a large abrasion resulted. The trail I left which I saw on my garmin was hilarious. I think I doubled my distance walked due to my non-linear trek. I wondered, before the hike, why it was ranked "hard" with only 1200 feet in elevation. Now I know and I hope you will give this trail the respect it deserves. Attention: after reviewing my tracking on this site, it appears that I did not cross the creek when I should have. This was likely the reason that there was "no trail". Don't make this mistake, there are no indicators on where to cross.

Steep and rocky hiking. There are two ways up, one from the end of the main street of St. Elmo and another from the bathroom area just before Iron City CG. The first is a little easier, prettier, and shorter. The trail ends at one of the most beautiful landscape scenes I've ever encountered.

Steep and rocky, but worth the effort. I hiked in early June and the top half of the trail, where the foot path meets the jeep trail, was a stream from the snow melt. The jeep path was blocked by snow and debris about 2 miles up. Hiked up Friday afternoon, spent the night camped by the lake, and came back down Saturday morning. Didn't see anyone else the whole time.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Fantastic hike. Very steep but rewarded with magnificent alpine beauty.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

We hiked this trail on an overcast, rainy day. The first bit of the trail is steep and rocky and there is an initial creek crossing. As hikers, this took some maneuvering, but if you're in a jeep, no worries. There are spots to camp along the road and by the lake.

In my opinion: The views of the surrounding mountains aren't as splendid from this lake as they are from others nearby (Pomeroy, Billings, etc.) because it is much lower in elevation. Still worth a visit.