Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Griffin Memorial is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

No access to trail. Silver Plume only open to local traffic. We have done this trail a few times. It is a steady up hill grind with some steep drop offs near and around the monument. Trail faces south so is sunny & warm (good early season). Gains elevation quickly with views of I-70 below. Old mines in area. Park in town at base of Silver St. We enjoy it. Good workout. WARNING: Construction on I-70 going west from near Idaho Springs to Georgetown-12 miles. Traffic stop-go, some 1 lane & slow.

Nice rocky trail some wildflowers and bits of mining artifacts

private property

the most deceptive trail I have ever done. the monument is washed out and several places along the trail are weathered away. steep drop offs with loose rock. high incline for a short trail. bring way more water than you would, be VERY careful toward the end of the trail. no parking near trail head, have to park in town because everything else is private property.

Nice hike on a Tuesday afternoon. Only saw 5 hikers the whole time . Great breath taking views. A descent steady incline till you reach the Memorial. Enjoy !

Mon May 27 2019

Super great trial with lots of history! It’s a bit tough at first with the incline, but absolutely worth it. Not muddy at all despite the recent snow and rain. Only met a few people so definitely lightly trafficked (at least right now). Took about 2 hours total to get to the memorial and back to the car in town.

Mon May 06 2019

Highly recommend

Sat Apr 13 2019

Nice little hike. As of April-2019 the AllTrails trail is wrong, and short by a .25-.5 mile to get to the memorial stone. Very cool mining artifacts along the way.

Mon Dec 17 2018

Great easy winter hike 12/16/18. I put microspikes on at the ice slick right before the first building, and they were nice to have for the trails above although you could survive without them. The shady areas were packed snow and the sunny areas were dry. Beautiful views, interesting history via the QR code stations as you catch your breath on the way up, and tons of mining ruins and equipment strewn about. There is a great coffee shop in town to grab a warm drink or refreshing kombucha before or after your hike. Had AT&T signal and you can see and hear I70 most of the time.

Sat Sep 08 2018

You will not get away from I70 noise and that is not why you do this hike. You do this this hike for the history! Park outside the coffee shop and walk up Silver street to the trail. You will not regret it, this hike is cool. Make sure you get the QR Code Reader or preload the site stories from the web (https://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/index.aspx?nid=846) to learn even more. Don’t be afraid to go off trail to explore the cool old mining stuff and make sure you go all the way to the 7:30 mine, don’t just stop at the memorial (it’s not much further)!

Fri Aug 31 2018

Been wanting to do this trail for a while. we hiked up to Site 8, the Griffin Memorial. We should have gone up to the 730 Mine, which is Site 9 on this trail, but we were tired and had to catch the Georgetown Loop train. This will now be one of my all time favorite hikes. I will have to do it again. Thanks to whomever maintains this trail. I think it might be Clear Creek County. My Endomondo tracker counted the mileage to the Memorial as 2.52, rather than half the 3.7 or 1.85 listed here. We knew the elevation at the Memorial was about 10,400, so we just kept heading up until we got to that elevation and there it was, Site 8, Griffin Memorial. The monument looks like a stiff wind could blow it off. Google the history on Clifford Griffin. Very interesting. From elevation in Silver Plume where we parked in front of the coffee shop at 9,160 to the Memorial at 10,416, I calculate an elevation gain of 1,356'. This trail has everything, mines, cables, a tree marked as a "bearing tree"...something I've never encountered in all my years of hiking. Also beautiful aspens, an abundance of Bristlecone pines, a mine entrance not yet covered with fencing, several grates to let air into the mine. Great trail!

Sun Aug 19 2018

Although you never lose the sound of I-70, traffic noise is faint and you do get to hear the Georgetown train, which is nice. This a is a nice little trail! It will be spectacular in a few weeks when the aspens turn as most of it is lined by aspens. I saw some golden leaves today, so it's not far off! This would be a good hike for active kids (maybe along with a train ride and/or a visit to one of the mines) since there are QR codes posted so hikers can learn about the mining history. As other posters commented, this trail is called the 7:30 mine trail to the Griffin Memorial.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Great hike with lots of Colorado history. I love exploring old historic ruins and there are a few worth checking out both on and off the designated trail. I mistakenly took the trail to the far left of town and there were a few mining ruins before I found the real trail which is actually called the 7:30 mine trail. Well marked with interactive signs. Only saw 3 other people the entire hike. If you are into haunted history then going alone to the top of the trail as the sun is setting is a must. The stories say you can hear Griffin’s ghost still is playing his violin or was that the wind? Plenty of murders and rivalries took place up that trail and an avalanche killed 10 Italian migrants who used to live up in the valley. Absolutely fascinating and surreal solo hike. You can stand at the gated mouth of several mine shafts and there are a few caves. Needless to say hiking solo I did not go more than a few steps into the open caves / shafts? Would you? Although not a rural and secluded hike, it gets 5 stars because of what is up that trail.

Wed Aug 08 2018

We are a family of four, from Texas, two kids ages 11 and 12. Was a great hike. It was a moderate climb, Our motto is “relentless forward motion”. We were uncertain if we had missed the monument, but kept forging ahead and it’s probably a half mile further than the map shows. The view was definitely worth the time. This took us about three hours in total we estimated it to be 5.5 miles round-trip. Many thanks to the previous reviewer; we appreciate the comments about the lack of parking. We tend to agree drove up and then drive back down I found parking on one of the streets. For those that geocache, look for an extra surprise!

Sun Jul 29 2018

Parked in downtown Silver Plume. No room for parking cars at trailhead. Just a few block walk to trailhead though. I’m pretty sure it’s closer to 5 miles round trip. Lots of climbing in the first couple miles. Lots of old mine debris along the way makes for an interesting hike. The view from the memorial is fantastic.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Sun Mar 18 2018

Great hike for myself and my dog!

Sat Dec 23 2017

Awesome views but noisy from the highway below.

Sun Nov 26 2017

I would give this trail a five, however it didn’t have much of a climb to it and the freeway noise is kind of a bummer however I didn’t see a soul the whole hike, great views, lots to look at. The discard of silver mining and mines were fun, it was a nice hike. Silver Plume, captured my ♥️

Fri Oct 20 2017

Sat Sep 30 2017

very cool and lots of stuff to be amazed by

Fri Jul 07 2017

Great trail with lots of views. Fair warning though...it's all uphill to the memorial but worth it. Silver Plume is a cute town.

Tue Jun 27 2017

this was great and would be a good one to start preparing for a 14er. it's quick but felt like the beginning of a bigger hike.

Mon Jun 05 2017

A really cool and pretty hike in Silver Plume, right off the I-70 and about 50 min from Denver. It's 3+ miles round trip but has some definite elevation gain throughout to the summit. Once you're mid-way in the hike, you forget you are as close to the highway. Some abandoned mine shafts and creek with a beautiful view at the summit.

Sun Apr 16 2017

Good place to stop and stretch your legs if you're driving along I-70. The dog loved the trail!

Sun Oct 23 2016

I made it all the way to the falls and did not keep going towards up to the memorial, the hike totalled round trip 4.4 miles.

Wed Oct 12 2016

Hike was a bit challenging at the beginning but beautiful. Parking lot for the trail is non existent.