Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

Greyrock Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,421 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

41 minutes ago

Spectacular hike. Agreed with the comments below that the trail is too busy, and difficultly trends more toward moderate. It’s a great time to catch the trail (get there by 6am on weekends)! The flowers in the open meadow are in full bloom! We started the trail going left at the split, which slowly winds through exposed landscape to beautiful panoramas. The most challenging element of the hike is an intense stretch to the top of Greyrock, which is more than worth it!

Great trail, too many people. We started at 6:30 and the parking lot was almost full. I would say this trail is moderate and not hard.

Great trail - definitely a favorite over Horsetooth. Reccomend the meadows trail to the rock and then the original, quicker trail back. Expect heavy traffic.

This hike was awesome!! My boyfriend and I started hiking about a month ago and this is by far our toughest one yet. We ended up logging 8.7 miles. We did get off course a couple of times towards the top due to the rocks not being clearly marked, but that’s okay because it made it more of an adventure! We started with the meadow side and it was worth it so that we had less distance to walk back after climbing to the summit. Definitely recommend this one to anyone who is up for a challenge and has some practice with more challenging hikes - also strongly suggest wearing a good hiking boot so you don’t slip on the rocks.

Perfect hike to kick off the summer outdoor season! Got there at 7 a.m. and the parking lot was nearly empty. Took the Greyrock Mountain trail (#946) and only passed 3 people. Traffic picked up considerably around 9:30. Missed a few turns on my way up to the top, so keep an eye out for markers. The pond was full and the prairie area was also full of water and singing spring peeper frogs! Cool surprise. Took the Meadow trail down - definitely worth the extra distance for the views! Lots of wildflowers and tons of birds. Total of 8.4 miles, took me about 5 hours (leisurely hike + stops for snacks/photos/exploring). This is a tough hike but not technical. Trail was dry both ways despite the heavy rain earlier this week. Highly recommend going early - parking lot was full and road was lined with cars on both sides when I finished around noon.

Really good hike. Longer than it seems. Over 8 miles if you do the loop.

private property

Uh

Great hike, pretty crowded so I recommend getting there early. Ended up being closer to 8 miles and the rock scramble at the top can get pretty confusing but definitely worth the views!

Great as usual. Not too many people when we arrived around 830 but still a descent amount of traffic on trail. Trail was completely dry.

Such a great hike, lots of people. I arrived 9am Friday. good amount of parking left. No fee. Bring water!

Very beautiful from start to finish. I went May 5. As with any colorado hike, bring layers! I started out the hike with light rain, then the sun came out, and on my way down, it got very windy. Also, be bear aware! I was surprised to see a black bear that was decently close the trail. He didn’t pay me too much attention but keep an eye out.

A hike you won't forget! The views are amazing and you have a prime opportunity to see wildlife of all kinds. We walked up on a group of bighorn sheep that were grazing on the side of the trail. I saw a golden eagle near the summit. Side note, the elevation is no joke, as a midwesterner that rolled off an airplane and went up there with a group of friends, it hit me hard. My own fault! It was a rite of passage to one of the most beautiful hikes I have been on.

If you’re wondering about the Meadows trail, it is more challenging than the summit trail. It is nearly twice as long, steeper, much rockier and more rugged. So, depending on your knees, decide whether you want this on the up or down. Great training loop. Very exposed, SO BRING LOTS OF WATER . I was out May 1st, started early. Hung out on the summit and descended via the Meadows trail. It was only in the mid 70s, but the sun was very hot. I went through 2 L of water (150 pound guy)

Great trail and hike. The lakes at the top were gorgeous, but getting up to the top was a bit difficult due to not having many markers once we got to 3.2 miles up from the trailhead. We managed to find a way up, but not sure if it was truly the right way. Would definitely recommend this hike!

Great trail! Good warmup for the mountain season. The ponds at the top are really pretty, we went up the normal route and down the meadows. The meadows were pretty underwhelming I would just stick to the main trail.

This trail is amazing. The view at the top makes all the hard work worth it. It is challenging but fun. The lakes at the top where beautiful. Once you see the first lake don’t stop there is another one. This is my favorite hike yet

Great trail. View up top of Greyrock is best around. Tough on the legs. 5 hours round trip. Up via Meadows. Very heavily used. Passed many people and groups. If you plan to summit Greyrock, maybe leave the dog at home. Overall great trail.

Great trail. I recommend heading up via Meadows Trail (great view of Hewlet Gulch) and after you ascend to the top of the rock, descend down the Grey Rock trail along the stream. Great leg workout.

Beautiful trail. Definitely a grind but well worth it. The trail leading up to the trail split is moderate and well-maintained. Poorly marked trail signs leading up to summit near the top. Lots of scrambling to get to summit. Beautiful views! Some reviews say that taking the meadow route back to the car is easier. We found that while the meadow was beautiful, there is quite a bit of climbing back up. Meadow route lacks cover so full sun in most places and little protection from weather. Highly recommend! Enjoy!

Cool hike! I left my car at 2:45, and was back before 5. It’s a little muddy in places, but the trail is good and easy to follow. The biggest downside is the lack of shade due to forest fires.

*** pick up your trash*** Awesome hike, windy up top, I’m sure it’s usually like that in afternoons. Even just going for the loop part is worth it. *** pick up your trash***