Greyrock Trail

Greyrock Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Hiked this one yesterday. I took (after reading some reviews) 947 to go up, and it offers many more views on ascend. Went down using 946, cause its quicker, but almost all of it in canyon. Around 2:30 pm got hailed on heavily. It was fierce, came at you quick, and this is situation when you need to look for immediate cover. Storm blew away in 35 min. Need a rain coat with you, cause you never know. Summit of Greyrock is not well marked, and pretty tough. I followed other young couple up, I was not sure if I would find trail up to summit by myself. But other than summit trail is well marked, just the right length, and beautiful diverse scenery.

Loved this trail! Definitely a solid day hike, but offers a variety of scenery and is a great challenge. Simple parking and trail was easy to follow. We’ll be back to do this one again.

Overall an easy hike, some parts can be moderately tough, but nothing strenuous. The hike in total, including scaling to the peak of Greyrock, was about 11 miles.

I liked the variety of terrain around this trail, but was unprepared for the bleakness of the burn scarring. I went up the east trail at dawn, in frosty shade, which gave me the meadow trail leg in the warm midmorning sun as the wind picked up. Awesome. The cairns on Greyrock, along with signposts, are critical. I still lost the trail at one point and crossed a highly exposed face that was unnecessarily risky. Definitely would do this again, starting at daybreak or earlier.

I liked this trail. Got to the car park by 0700 on a Sunday and so there were not many people there. Cools temps to start but warmed up quickly. Chose the meadow 947 route to go up and I am glad I did as it was much more scenic than the 946 trail back down. Made it to the top of Greyrock before the crowd and ran back via 946. Graleat day, great hike. Recommended - but get there before the crowds!

I loved it it was difficult but I managed to do it with my 2 year old daughter on my back! Be careful you could get lost

Great hike and it is difficult. Our feet and legs are killing us afterward, LOL! Pretty scenery and areas to cross water. Our dog got plenty of exercise needless to say.

Really fun hike. Scaling the rock at the end is tough but well worth it

April 7th: Loved this hike! An inch or two of snow the night before made for beautiful sights. The sun busted out through the fog and melted all the snow for the hike back down. Like others have mentioned bring extra water, you will need it to stay hydrated. Also like others have mentioned it is tricky to stay on the trail towards the top.

Certainly a challenging hike that makes you want to hit up the Mish or Vern's afterward for a refuel. I was sore for three days after making it to the summit and back. (Round trip took 5 hours but at least an hour was spent at the top soaking up the sun and views.)

Hiked as an out-and-back rather than a loop. This one is definitely good exercise, but the initial gulch is mostly in the shade first thing in the morning, which makes it do-able despite the desolation from hiking through a burn scar. The last push up the rock requires a little bit of trail finding; look for the cairns. The final summit was easiest to the left of the pond. Didn’t see another soul until I was descending, which was a treat.

I missed out on Greyrock last year before our group started hiking 14ers so I wanted to get it in early this season. Beautiful Colorado day including the gale force winds we get this time of year. If you have a fear of dead trees falling on you don’t do this hike on a windy day. Lots of dead trees in the burned out areas. Was a little spooky! Friends had recommended taking the summit trail up and coming back on the meadow trail which is what I did. I have mixed feelings about the meadow trail. About a third of it is climbing which is discouraging when you take it back after summiting but the views are unique and of course there’s the meadow. If I do it again I will take the summit trail back. The climb to the summit is quite a challenge! Lots of scrambling and some rock climbing. This trail is rated difficult and it is all of that! Go for it! Enjoy!

great hike , Good combination of gradual elevation and steps , great view at the summit , would recommend for all !!

I love this trail, it’s intense and long which makes it a great training trail, if you’re working up to higher and or longer climbs. That being said, I’ve also seen kids at the top, so you can take your time and go at any pace you like.
If you do the loop you add on an extra mile, you can also just follow the trail back down. Since its steep this can prove challenging, hiking stocks are a plus but not necessary.

This was my first real hike, let alone solo. I went on a 50ish degree Tuesday. I took the longer trail on the way up, and didn't see anyone until I got to the summit trail almost 3 hours later. There is a beautiful secluded meadow towards the end of that trail. It was hard to follow the trail on the summit, but it would become obvious fairly quickly if you wandered off the path. The extreme wind led to a scary moment at the summit itself, but I talked to someone who said it is usually not nearly that bad. Really, really enjoyed this hike!

Loved it! Stair steppers Heaven! Recommend counter clock rotation of the loop. If you go clock wise you may find that you might want to skip the summit cause you're too tired. The left side off loop is more difficult and longer. When you get close to summit, trail gets harder to distinguish. Look for pyramid rock stacks and few trail markers. Creek runs along the right side of loop, you can treat to drink. But no water on the left side of loop. Enjoy!

Well worth the slog to the sumit.

Wonderful hike, outstanding views throughout! It was 65 degrees throughout the hike and the snow was very minimal even at the top. I find it’s rare to find more strenuous hikes that aren’t very cold and/or buried in snow at this time of year. It’s challenging but manageable. A treasure for sure!

This was a fantastic hike through a variety of scenery. Nice mountain range views, burnt forest, undulating terrain. Scrambling over rocks to the top makes the spur a bit tricky in winter months. Also requires paying special attention to the small signs to figure out where to go. Steep climbing sections to get a workout in, definitely on the harder side. Dogs should be agile! I really like this trail. Fantastic photography options. For more details and pics: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/02/04/roadtrip-to-the-rockies-grey-rock-mountain/

Great views after scrambling up rocks at the top. Lake is okay, but not much water or shade on this one. Did this in July, the little meadow is neat though and full of wildflowers.

Great hike!! Definitely bring lots of water for this one.

Beautiful trail up the mountain but definitely on the harder side. Someone I know said it was a good one to prepare for a 14er and they are not wrong!

Great weather!

Just came back, 12/22/17. Nice amount of snow down making the area bright and colorful, but not too much to where the trail is covered. Your legs will get a good workout if you stay out for more than 2 hours!

great trail. We went in December: mud, ice and snow in spots. Not heavily traveled while we visited

Little snow on the trail but a bit icy near the top- be careful scrambling. No micro spikes needed as of today. Trail can be hard to follow. Otherwise, a really wonderful hike so close to ft collins!

Wow what a great trail! Definetly on the hard side but worth the trip up to the summit and through the meadows ! Trail becomes hard to follow when making your way up to the summit.. look for the posts .

One of the best hikes to do near Fort Collins. Great view from the top!

Managed to make it to the very top with my Colorado Mountain Dog, Klondike. No snow on the trail, (in December, which is highly unusual), but, both sides of the loop are filled with large rocks and rock faces, making this a moderately difficult trail to traverse. Would do it again, just with better socks next time...

No snow, but a bit windy!

Easily a favorite hike of many years