Greyrock Trail

Greyrock Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Took the Greyrock Trail up (roughly 2 hours to ascend) and the Meadows Trail down (roughly 2 hours- this trail is longer). I'm in good shape and this was a challenging hike- a very good workout, indeed! The first half of the hike meanders through the forest fire devastation so it's not as beautiful as it could be, but still a great hike. The last 45-60 minutes of the ascent is bouldering with some route finding. My tip would be to generally bear left as you boulder your way up and to look for the cairns to guide you. The top is a spectacular 360 degree view! You will feel very accomplished after the last 45-60 min of bouldering- well worth it!

Either route you choose you'll have great views and at times some challenging climbs. The paths meet back up right before greyrock, and when you see greyrock you'll know you're f***ed. It's totally worth the climb to the top, there's a quiet and peaceful pond right by the summit. Watch out for rattlesnakes in the meadows, I saw one and it startled me pretty good. Bring more water than you think you'll need - I spent a good 5 hour out there as an inexperienced hiker.

Very nice trail. Headed up via the Meadows Trail Section which really had some beautiful vistas and spectacular views of Grey Rock on the approach. Made it to the Summit in just under 2 hours hiking non stop. The summit has great views and I did not see another person during my half hour spent there.
On the decent I took the other side if the loop. This was steeper and faster, however it is much more enclosed and does not provide many views at all. Made it down in a hour and fifteen minites. My number one suggestion would be to take the Meadows rout up, and number 2 would be to bring plenty of water. Also start early in the morning if you can. I saw a lot more hikers coming up on the way down.

Great trail and easy to get to. Does get a little more challenging towards the top where I had to help my dog scramble up some boulders but we made it!

My favorite hike in the canyon. It is rated as difficult but eminently worth it (and really not that tough). I prefer to take the short side up and the meadow side on the back trip. I have easily hiked this trail more than a dozen times and always find a sense of satisfaction reaching the top, like an old friend.