Greyrock Trail

Greyrock Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Nice scenic loop - very rocky but not too strenuous. Nice incline and gorgeous views. Grasshoppers and bugs are out

Wonderful hike! Saw grouse, deer and bighorn sheep. Beautiful views from the top of Greyrock!

Did this on Monday. Went right at the first junction. Didn’t need spikes at all, but I put them on more towards the top to not have to worry about icy spots. Once I got down I went through the meadows to complete the loop and that was a terrible choice. Post holed up the hill then lost trail a few times. Had to put spikes on for the little traction I could get. I recommend not going through the meadows. Go right at the junction and come back the same way. Sun hits the trail on that side so there’s little ice/snow.

Uh yeah you need your yak tracks still. Also, trail is barely marked. We started at the grey rock meadows, somehow got turned around at the top by the scramble, made it to grey rock and back down and somehow came back through grey rock meadows again even though we thought we were followed the loop but I guess not. other than that, I feel really accomplished that I made it through the snow, Ice, mud, and cliff drop offs. I’m a local so I kind of had to do this hike just cause it’s my home ya know. I might come in the summer and see what the skinny dipping rumors are ;)

gorgeous, a little icy in spots. Lots of traffic during a beautiful day.

The view will make your jaw drop. Buttt It was about 40 degrees with a wind advisory when we went. High winds made the trip extremely unpleasant in some areas of the trail. The trail was icy/snowy in some area, but manageable with proper gear. Overall I’d come back to Colorado to do this hike again... when the wind wasn’t gusting at 75mph. Worth the hike!!

Did this hike today. Probably because it was in mid January, we met very few hikers. It was snowy in places and heavy wind up top. Pretty decent hike but at times the trail routes might be tricky as there are few signs. I would say its above moderate to difficult hike.

Nice hike. A bit icy near top but worth the views and quietness.

Awesome views from the summit!!

Did this hike with a few friends yesterday 12/24. It started snowing when we got to the first rest area. Beautiful hike with great views once you reach the top.

Awesome trail. Got lost at the top.

solid trail, mildly strenuous, the lake at the top is worth it. The scramble at the end was tough at times to know whether we were supposed to go.

This trail is temporarily closed because of the Seaman Fire. It is scheduled to reopen 10/12/18. For more info, Google its special order number: arp-clrd-2018-09.

Went Sunday and it was 45 degrees or so out and sunny. Made it to the top no issues, trail does get a little "confusing" with no trail markers towards the top, though nothing too crazy. Views are great. Saw a few other hikers, other wise good area for those seeking solitude on near by trails.

Great hike. Went on a Monday and only saw 4 people on way back down from summit. Very peaceful.

I'm torn on the best way to do this trail. If you take the meadow trail (clockwise) you get good views on the approach to Greyrock and good views heading down the canyon on your way back out. I found myself turning around a lot. So, If I did it again I would probably do it in reverse.

That being said, it's pretty cool looking down to Hewlett Gulch on the switchbacks heading down the meadow trail.

Strenuous hike with great views at the top.

Greyrock was my favorite of four trails I hiked in the area surrounding Fort Collins. The hike was a nice challenge, both physically and navigationally.

I’m glad I enabled the app’s GPS feature because the trail isn’t very straightforward given the amount of boulders covering the landscape. This was a rare instance where I was appreciative of the rock cairns left by other hikers to mark the trail.

In total, my hike was 8.1 miles with a moving time of 4 1/2 hours. I started out around 8 a.m. and lucked out by having the mountain completely to myself until my descent. This was the only hike where I depleted my water supply, so I would advise bringing extra. I also would recommend a trekking pole for traversing the rocky terrain.

Finally made it up Gray Rock after living in FC for 17 years! Well worth it! Spectacular views across the plains, Horsetooth Rez almost completely visible - so cool. Some bouldering necessary at the end, I wouldn’t do that when wet. Took Meadows trail back down, saw lots of deer, wildflowers and bear signs.

nearly killed me, loved it.

Great trail with beautiful views! We did the Meadow trail in a CW direction and were stopped just short of the summit due to a thunderstorm. We will definitely be back!

wonderful trail!

Beautiful but very challenging! Did this hike on Saturday. Got to the trailhead at 9am. Took the Greyrock Trail to the summit then did that to the top, backtracked and then took the Greyrock Meadow trail back down. Definitely a difficult trail—lots of vertical climbing and the rocks at the summit were tough! Plenty of loose rocks too. I was glad I wore my good boots. The views were gorgeous and despite the warnings I didn’t encounter a single rattlesnake. Completed the entire thing in 4 hours.

Great trail, with amazing views!

We started at 7:30 and got to the top pretty quickly, using the trail that forks to the right... the views are beautiful and you could easily spend another hour scrambling around on the rocks. On the way back down, we took the meadow trail and that took significantly more time. Reached the trailhead at 12:30.

Great views! Would rate this as difficult

Went up on Memorial Day. Weather was fine as it was overcast most of the time with no rain. Went up on the west side of the loop, pause at the wood bench on the meadow, then on up to the peak. We were surprised to learn that one of the pools on top had a few tree frogs. Can't help but wonder how they got there. Coming down was rough on my knees as the uneven ground and the numerous steps over rocks in the trail took its toll. Altogether with some minor side trips, we logged 8 miles on the GPS.

My favorite local hike! Different terrain, views, and a good challenge.

Beautiful day hike! Hiked it yesterday, a weekday following Memorial Day Weekend. Got a late start, didn't make it to the trail head until 1:40pm. There were maybe 5 other cars parked, and that's it. We were surprised how empty it was. Took Grey Meadow Trail 947 on our way up - and we were SO glad that we did. Was longer, but so scenic & beautiful. It took us about 3 hours from the trail head to make it up - stopping to enjoy the scenery and take pictures along the way. The summit up was definitely tough, but glad we did it! Worth it. Took Grey Rock Trail 946 on the way down, after another hiker told us it'd get us down a whole lot quicker, and we didn't wanna waste too much time since it was getting late in the day. It was steep and quick, we made it down in a little over an hour. Awesome hike, wished we had a little more time to enjoy the top once we made it, but we weren't sure how long it would take us to make it back down. Can't wait to do it again.

Hiked this one yesterday. I took (after reading some reviews) 947 to go up, and it offers many more views on ascend. Went down using 946, cause its quicker, but almost all of it in canyon. Around 2:30 pm got hailed on heavily. It was fierce, came at you quick, and this is situation when you need to look for immediate cover. Storm blew away in 35 min. Need a rain coat with you, cause you never know. Summit of Greyrock is not well marked, and pretty tough. I followed other young couple up, I was not sure if I would find trail up to summit by myself. But other than summit trail is well marked, just the right length, and beautiful diverse scenery.