Greyrock Trail

Greyrock Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Challenging, fun, refreshing, scenic. Always a fan of dog-friendly trails, but this is a strenuous, rocky hike, so plan a little TLC for paws afterwards! Crowded, but not uncomfortably so. Would hike again!

Beautiful hike! Like many hikes in Colorado, I often paused and was thankful for living in such a beautiful state. This is a challenging hike, but definitely worth it. Perfect for a sunny day! There were quite a few people there, but not enough to make it feel crowded. Definitely recommend to those wanting a little elevation gain.

Very challenging hike but so many beautiful views along the way. We saw a deer, a herd of bighorn sheep, and a TON of ladybugs who made their home at the summit! Cool, unique hike in the canyon.

Very popular hike and of course on a weekend if you don't get up early it will get crowded. we even got there early enough to get a parking place in the small designated parking lot. at a little over 7 miles it's a great workout and yes somewhat difficult hike but the view from the top is definitely worth it. I only rated it as 4 because unfortunately the views are not as good because of the fires that happened here couple years ago. ☹

When I lived in Colorado this was a personal favorite. Kind of like a "rite of passage" to say that you have camped a night on top of Greyrock, my friends and I used to head up in summers to enjoy the experience of getting out of the Front Range and into this easily-accessible backcountry area of Colorado.

Just good fun. Hiked it yesterday. Beautiful.. rain on the way down.. which was via the Meadows... I like getting the ascent done while I am fresh so I took the short/steep way up. Soak your feet at the top while you drink a well-deserved beer. Finished in 5 hours with an hour or so at the top.

What a great day for hike and GreyRock did not disappoint! Went on a Tuesday morning 9:30 got a parking spot and did not encounter many individuals on the trail. Lots of "oh my" beautiful scenery. Unfortunately we weren't able to make it to the top, next time!

Took the Greyrock Trail up (roughly 2 hours to ascend) and the Meadows Trail down (roughly 2 hours- this trail is longer). I'm in good shape and this was a challenging hike- a very good workout, indeed! The first half of the hike meanders through the forest fire devastation so it's not as beautiful as it could be, but still a great hike. The last 45-60 minutes of the ascent is bouldering with some route finding. My tip would be to generally bear left as you boulder your way up and to look for the cairns to guide you. The top is a spectacular 360 degree view! You will feel very accomplished after the last 45-60 min of bouldering- well worth it!

Either route you choose you'll have great views and at times some challenging climbs. The paths meet back up right before greyrock, and when you see greyrock you'll know you're f***ed. It's totally worth the climb to the top, there's a quiet and peaceful pond right by the summit. Watch out for rattlesnakes in the meadows, I saw one and it startled me pretty good. Bring more water than you think you'll need - I spent a good 5 hour out there as an inexperienced hiker.

Very nice trail. Headed up via the Meadows Trail Section which really had some beautiful vistas and spectacular views of Grey Rock on the approach. Made it to the Summit in just under 2 hours hiking non stop. The summit has great views and I did not see another person during my half hour spent there.
On the decent I took the other side if the loop. This was steeper and faster, however it is much more enclosed and does not provide many views at all. Made it down in a hour and fifteen minites. My number one suggestion would be to take the Meadows rout up, and number 2 would be to bring plenty of water. Also start early in the morning if you can. I saw a lot more hikers coming up on the way down.