Gregory Canyon, Ranger, E.M. Greenman, Saddle Rock Loop

Gregory Canyon, Ranger, E.M. Greenman, Saddle Rock Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Highway 36: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.

This is a great hike it took myself and two nine year olds about 5 hours to tackle this one. We were all beat after it, but it was a great challenge. We are all happy with the hike , but now we're wiped out. Good times

Very step coming down Saddle Rock Trail. 5.5 Mile Round Trip. Need to use a ladder at one point.

Amazing hike! It’s been really hot so me and a friend went up early to beat the heat. Love the foliage in the summer and the hike is constantly beautiful. Definitely gets steep and rocky towards the end but my buddy’s dog had no problems. The view from the top is breathtaking.

We went up Saddle Rock which is the steepest section. Both Greenman and Ranger trails were easy in comparison. Good views east and west. Many wildflowers. Gregory Canyon trail was mostly easy but with a few Rocky scrambles.

This trail was a lot of climbing, but the downhill was steep and hard on the knees. I went counter clockwise. I did have to climb up rock with my hands a little. There is a ladder to climb down where the flood has washed the trail out. It’s not too long or high. This was definitely a trail for an intermediate-level hiker.

Great trail! A few false summits, but keep going and you’ll know when you get to the top. Not too many people and lots of shaded areas!

I’ve hiked this trail in the winter and in the spring (mid-May). It’s an enjoyable hike no matter the season, but the trail is more treacherous in the winter due to snow and ice, especially on the Saddle Rock portion. In the winter, I slid down on my behind to the ladder (put in place where the trail was washed out), which caused some heart palpitations!

The hike was great but I suggest that you wait 2-3 weeks until the snow melts. There are some icy sidewalk-like spots that can be a little precarious. Otherwise, the shaded trail with some views is very pleasant. It’s not an easy trail but it’s not impossibly hard. My dog loved it too!

bring spikes and/or waterproof pants. I slid most of the way down saddle rock due to ice. lovely hike otherwise!

This one was tough with a lot snow cover still. Might need crampons for another few weeks

Good workout. Icy conditions going down. Parked at Chautauqua, hike ended up being 5.6 miles recorded.

Difficult but great view at the end!

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Enjoyable, short, and a good exercise. Close to the road in Gregory canyon, but pretty scenery.

Thursday, August 02, 2018

Went counter clockwise and boy it was tough. Trails are not well marked and accidentally went halfway up Gregory canyon again before realizing it. At least it was a nice scramble down. Overgrown with poison ivy everywhere. Long sleeves and pants are a good idea.

Friday, July 13, 2018

We started this hike at 7pm, did it clockwise (via Saddle Rock) and hiked in complete shade, as other reviewers suggested. It was pretty tough to start. I would say it was about 45 minutes to the top, but honestly, I didn’t realize we were at the top when we got there so I didn’t check my watch! If you go clockwise be sure to stop and take in the views on the ascent. Those are the best views of the beautiful mountain range. You don’t get a grand view at the top so stop and enjoy while you ascend. After reaching the highest point, the trail is a lovely walk through the woods mostly on a gradual downhill. Our total trip was just over 2 hours and we were in no particular rush. Very light traffic- only saw 6 other hikers.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Loved the hike!

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

For a good quick workout, this is a good trail. I went clockwise because it was harder. If you’re a late starter like I am, I would suggest clockwise so you’re in the shade all the way after the initial incline. My recorder logged 3.6 miles, probably could have done the green mountain trail as well with another hour or so logged.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Hiked this trail last Saturday and steady incline entire way up. Parking is very limited and trails are not well marked. We got lost and kept going in circles it felt like. Very jungle like at the beginning with narrow trails but then it opens up. Overall a great workout!

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Great hike for early in the season when it’s not too hot. Much of it is shaded, and we enjoyed moving through dense, cool forest and dry grassland. Going clockwise is tough, but having to descend Ampitheater would be even harder, as it is very steep. I recommend the clockwise approach that other reviewers have mentioned!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Great trail with some steady inclines. Nothing too crazy but defiantly a good workout. Plus some of the views are amazing!

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Great trail. Agree with the other poster that clockwise makes it easier.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

I love this loop. It feels much more removed from the crowds at Chattaqua, is easily accessible, has great views, and is well shaded from the sun. I would recommend this loop to anyone looking for a moderate trail. The amphitheater trail is a bit steep, but if you go clockwise you will have a much easier (and enjoyable) descent

Monday, April 23, 2018

I hiked from Chattaqua up to where Gregory Canton meets Flagstaff then back down the road.... overall enjoyable hike and close to town..... so nice

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Great hike but extremely difficult without spikes in winter conditions. If you do this during the winter, come prepared.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed this. We went on a Wednesday morning, so there wasn’t much traffic. A nice and pleasant up and down loop with a few switchbacks, some big rocks, lots of trees, a ladder, and snow. Yes a ladder. And being a dork, I was so excited there was a ladder in the middle of a trail, YAY LADDER! Beautiful snow was throughout the entire trail. In hind site I should’ve grabbed my yaktrax that I decided at the last second I wouldn’t need...but totally do able in the packed snow without them. Would love to do again this spring or summer!

Monday, October 02, 2017

Great challenging hike. Be aware that the first part of the trail is steep, with one section requiring you to climb a ladder if you start with the southern trailhead. If you start with the northern trailhead, its more gradual, but the descend is more steep and you will be descending the ladder. Whichever way you choose, the views are breathtaking and the area is very lush. Also, if you are feeling strong, continue onto EM Greenman to peak Green Mountain, come down Ranger, and then continue down the loop!

Monday, September 18, 2017

Great, beautiful hike! Do the steep part first (enter the loop at the downhill leg of the trail). Dogs loved it. Wear good hiking shoes because the first part of the trail is steep and very rocky and the last part of the trail is loose sand and gravel (gradual decline). The first half of the loop is definitely challenging but so worth it when you reach the top because the views are amazing! Enjoy God's beautiful creation, be safe and have fun!