Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

hard(73)
Boulder Open Space

Gregory Canyon, Ranger, E.M. Greenman, Green Mountain Saddle Rock, Amphitheater Loop is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,342 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Highway 36: Gregory Canyon Trailhead Access: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. (Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.) From the Gregory Canyon Trailhead follow the Gregory Canyon Trail to the Ranger Trail. The Ranger Trail will lead to the Greenman Trail.

Great trail with great views throughout. Be prepared for a lot of ice on the trails near the top and the west side.

Beautiful trail, most of it shady after completing the climb of Gregory Canyon. Steady climb for the rest, rocky at times, but no scrambling. Good workout if you decide to run it. Nice views on top. Well marked.

Highly recommend it! Beautiful views, lots of shade. Not many people on the trail.

This recorded as 6.5 miles on my Apple Watch. So many butterflies and wildflowers! Very pretty, well marked, well traveled...port a potties at entrance are disgusting and no TP or sanitizer...FYI

Tue Jan 08 2019

Okay, the route I did isn't listed here, but this is the closest to it...I did Gregory Canyon to Long Canyon, then connected to Flagstaff and basically went off trail until I hit the Green Mountain West Ridge trail, then took that to the Green mountain summit. So stunning, peaceful, hardly anyone else on the trails. I WILL say - the descent was ROUGH. I probably should have flipped my ascent and descent. I took EM Greenman down, which connected to Saddle Rock. Spikes and/or hiking poles are needed! seriously! I'm not one for fancy gear, but there were a few times where my trekking poles absolutely saved me from wiping out on the ice. Some steep parts of the trail are solid ice and I had to find other routes. Bring layers and water and all that, enjoy and respect the beautiful medicine that is nature.

Sat Jan 05 2019

First time hiking at Chautauqua so we just picked a trail at random, yowza! We headed up Amphitheater side, and came down the Gregory canyon side, with trails sprinkled in. The first good bit of the hike was up stairs of rock. Beautiful scenery though, and I can imagine in spring and summer how spectacular it will look! There was ice on the trail in spots, we used our spikes for a bit of. Definitely a good workout, my legs are still feeling like jelly! We got there around 10 and found street parking, when we left there was no parking anywhere. Higher up on the trail though it was not crowded at all. I'll be back for this one in the summer!

Mon Oct 01 2018

Great hike. We saw a black bear and several mule deer. 9/30/2018

Fri Jul 27 2018

Such a great hike!! Half of it is very steep up rocks so this trail is a must if you are looking for a great workout and even better views!

Sun Jun 10 2018

Great hike, not too hard. Beautiful views!!! Only gave 4 stars since it crosses the road at multiple points, and I’d rather stay out in the wilderness if I’m gonna hike.

Tue May 22 2018

Black bears and CofC cougars. great hike!

Sat Sep 23 2017

Make sure you got ankle support, lots of spots with loose terrain.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Great hike. I would put this in the hard category with Gregory Canyon Trail and Green Mountain Loop. All trails cover much of the same rocky and steep terrain. Not moderate.

Mon May 15 2017

This hike was beautiful, lush, and green with brooks, creeks, and stunning views. There's a decent amount of elevation gain, so it's not necessarily an easy hike, but it's a great workout and a less trafficked loop to hike in Boulder.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Do NOT hike his trail in the spring time! It was covered in snow - And steep with muddy and snowy does not mix well. I hated almost every minute of this hike. The view is hardly worth it either. The pros? It's off leash if you have the Boulder voice/sight permit and it's not very crowded. Other then that, I'm struggling to think of positives. Maybe in the summer?

Thu Mar 09 2017

Great trail. I came in off the ski jump trail and hiked up to Green Mountain summit. Great views.