Gregory Canyon, Range View and Flagstaff Trail Loop

Gregory Canyon, Range View and Flagstaff Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

nice to do but not always marked well and had to rely on phone to navigate

Did most of this route but with the entry point as the Flagstaff Trailhead off University Ave and descended vía the canyon trail... good over all hike; nice photo ops and we were gifted with two deer-buck sittings and a parade of wild turkey! Be warned the trail is slick heading up but much slicker on the way down. Be ready for a surprisingly welcomed test with the icy/snowy conditions; but absolutely manageable as of 02/03/19

Hike was great! Light traffic and moderate hike. Sight and voice entire trail, however, I recommend leashing throughout flagstaff trail due to multiple street crossing with cars passing by. Rangeview and GC trail was mostly snow packed and icy so I would recommend yaktraks, flagstaff was mostly muddy. Overall great running and hiking trail!

Good trail with good amounts of climbing and flats. A little muddy towards the bottom at icy at the top and coming down the canyon side. Spikes definitely helped.

Definitely some slick spots especially on Gregory Canyon. Muscled through without micro spikes but there was some careful foot placement going on.

Lots of snow this morning! Make sure you are prepared if hiking in the snow. About half the trail I was second person then almost all of Flagstaff on the way back down was breaking trailhead. Snow ranged from 2-3" to about 8"-10" deep at points. Waterproof boots are a must. I did wear spikes but didn't really need them for the most part. Not a ton of views due to currently snowfall. But there were several spots where it was still very pretty despite minimal views. I would def do this trail again when it isn't snowing. Worth the hike for sure.

a few too many road crossings for my taste. saw plenty of mule deer towards the begining of the hike. got a bit slippery with ice and snow which made it slow going.

great views, well groomed path

Meh. Nicely built trail. Views at the top were pleasant. But the road-crossings made this feel like I wasn’t really off the beaten path. I never found the ladder?! And I didn’t find the trail to be nearly as hard as others describe. I carried poles but never even took them out of my backpack.

Great trail, but definitely a workout with lots of steep inclines and rocky terrain to climb up and over. We went clockwise starting on the Gregory Canyon trailhead in the parking lot and then meeting up with the Flagstaff trail. Saw some mule deer, but more importantly, heads up for bears! Not-so-little guy was greeting people at the parking lot towards later afternoon hours, so be aware. Also parking is very limited and there is a $5 fee if your not registered in Boulder or have a pass.

Fantastic trail. Like someone else said, it’s a great leg workout going up. There was a deer just off the trail and didn’t mind us being there at all. It was a great experience.

Definitely some nice elevation gain with this one! I started at Gregory Canyon and ended on Flagstaff. First mile or so was all uphill and included some rock scrambling. Saw lots of wildlife including a deer. Rangview was also a lovely little hike. Ending with the Flagstaff trail, this is the part everyone speaks of that runs along the road and requires several road crossings. I didn't necessarily find the traffic bothersome but finding the trail after crossing the road could be somewhat difficult, however the alltrails map is super helpful. Would definitely do this hike again! I enjoyed the scenic views of Boulder and the challenge this hike provided.

Great views, nice variety, good workout, a little confusing a couple times as the trail name changed. Would recommend.

This was a good hike, seen some deer on the trail and beautiful views.

Hike up is fun and a bit challenging. I’d rate this hard with a kid pack on your back! Beautiful views and some traffic during the weekday.

Great views, trails are well marked and maintained. Parking is difficult on the weekends, so get there early. Road crossings weren't bad.

Great hike, would have given it five stars if there were not so many road crossings and so close to the road.

Icy in parts, but beautiful overall!

3/2/18- I was really impressed with this trail. I normally shy away from trails so close to the city, because there’s just too many people. But today was surprisingly mellow. Great views of the city, then on the other side you have great views of the mountains (will post pics). A few things:
1) We had to go up Gregory and down Flagstaff (reverse direction from map) because I couldn’t find the flagstaff trailhead. The trailhead is actually on the main road, across from the stop sign. Turn into the little parking area, then walk back down to the entrance stop sign. You’ll see the trailhead there. Gregory’s trailhead is by the roundabout (opposite end).
2) That said! The most icy stretch is on the Gregory Canyon trail. This worked for us because I prefer to go up the ice patches then down on solid ground. So if that is you, go clockwise on the trail!! Very brief stretches of ice, and some parts are fairly steep. But I made it fine with regular hiking boots. Flagstaff was dry, just be prepared for mud.

Monday, January 08, 2018

This was a fun hike, but the last little bit in Gregory Canyon was full of ice and pretty treacherous! Definitely get a pair of ice cleats for that part.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Definitely, one of my favorite moderate medium range hikes. Gorgeous views, challenging sections, and at top there is a park and an amphitheater. You have to cross some roads on your way up. If hiking in winter I really suggest ice cleats as there is A LOT of ice on steep parts. The ice makes it treacherous but fun and interesting ha!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Actually off leash ok- see Boulder's voice and sight control program: https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/dog-regulations-by-area

Thursday, October 12, 2017

I would rate this easy to moderate. Going up I felt was much easier than Mt. Sanitas. Coming down Gregory Canyon was slightly tougher but not bad. You do cross flagstaff road several times, where you'll see a few cars and lots of cyclists.great views of the higher peaks from the lookout point at the top.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great trail with some challenging parts. Only downside was the road noise but what do you expect from a road trail?!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Kinda boring. Also it was confusing at the top as to how to complete the loop. Once was enough.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Very nice and moderate hike

Friday, June 30, 2017

Good trail, beautiful views; not too crowded. Steep in parts with lots of rocks in the trail, but fine with a walking stick. $5 parking fee at all adjacent local parking lots and along the road.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Really nice. I liked that it was a loop. Kind of a grinder heading up, but worth it. A wide variety of terrain and views. I didn't love crossing Flagstaff road so many times on the way down, but I guess that is why it is named. It came out to almost exactly 5 miles for us- we did walk around a bit extra up by Artist's Point and Flagstaff Peak.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Seemed more like moderate to hard IMO. Good views of Chataqua.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Watch out for poison ivy. Views East are pretty good, not all that great to the West (trees block a lot of it). A few rock garden sections but not difficult at all.