Learn more

Gregory Canyon, Range View and Flagstaff Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(938)
Boulder Open Space

Gregory Canyon, Range View and Flagstaff Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, rock climbing, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,197 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

This is a great moderately challenging loop with excellent views throughout. The trail is steep but generally well-shaded through the Flatirons. Most of it consists of single-track trail, except for a brief stretch along an old roadbed near the top of Gregory Canyon Trail. There are rocky steps on both the Flagstaff and Gregory Canyon portions of the trail. Trails in the area are open to dogs but closed to bikes. Note: Parking adjacent to the loop requires a fee unless your vehicle is registered in Boulder County. Parking is free on the weekdays. Offline map is recommended. It can be easy to take a wrong turn onto the wrong trail.

Logged this at 4.6 with a slight detour to the amphitheater. First half of the hike (going clockwise) is a much lusher, shadier, and overall more enjoyable experience than the latter half, though that has some nice aspects, too. Not the best Colorado has to offer, however.

Many switch backs make the elevation easy. Many viewpoints throughout! Dogs are welcomed.

USE THE ALLTRAILS MAP- not the map at the trail head as the trails for this loop are not on that map. Ended up doing an entirely different loop that was DIFFICULT. Amazing views and well worth it, but was not the loop laid out here. Easy to get lost so again> use the map. 10/10 will do this hike again- hopefully the right one next time Lol

I met my hiking group at 8 am on a Thursday. There was no parking at the trailhead or along the road, so we parked up the road at the Chautauqua trail. We began via Gregory Canyon and it was a steep and difficult hike up. It was shaded and beautiful but lots of bouldering. We did take a wrong turn at the crossroads of Realization trail and another trail (take realization trail). Wildflowers were beautiful all along the trail and the views were majestic. The 2 reasons I gave it 4 stars is the crossing of the road on several points and my group had 5.0 miles from trailhead to parking lot (not 3 6) My recommendation would be to start early - 7 am or earlier.

This was the most beautiful and hardest hike I’ve ever done! Thank you to everyone who wrote reviews about going off trail. It was really confusing in some spots and I’m glad that I had the AllTrails map.

Great trail! The start of the trail is a little confusing and we ended up off trail and a little lost. If you end up on a trail at the start that has trees blocking the trail a bit, don’t go through them as you’ll get off trail. Not tons of people around 7am when we started

Got off path and had to vertically climb to the road. Good view at the top though.

Seriously one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve done! The view of the divide at the top of flagstaff trail is unbelievably pretty. The trail is really nice and shady almost the entire time and there surprisingly weren’t a ton of people hiking on Sunday morning.

Really loved this trail - so many wildflowers still out! It is definitely narrow and can imagine it gets hot during mid day so recommend getting there early

Stats 3.1 miles 955 ft elevation gain

This is a really beautiful hike. Right now there are many wildflowers and the area is so lush and green. Now is a great time to go! I would bring more water than you think you need because much of the way up is not shaded. (I also chose to start my hike at 1PM, so that is on me.) Like others have said, I agree you should download the map for this trail. There are so many marked and unmarked side trails. I had to stop many times to make sure I was going the right direction. If you end up on the wrong trail, it won't take you too far out of the way though. I might recommend bug spray on the way down. Also be careful on the way down- you cross over Flagstaff road many times and some of the motorists were speeding.

I am a novice midwestern hiker. We did this trail on Monday, June 15. Great trail, would like to see more trail markings especially between Gregory trail and flagstaff trail. Challenging at beginning with uneven trail, rocks to climb over. My wife who is definitely not a hiker was able to to this as her first official moderate hike. She used trekking poles, which really came in handy. Lovely scenery, friendly people along the way. I had hoped there was a “peak” with the snow capped mountains in the background. While we were climbing we saw the view, but mistakenly thought there would be a better view as we ascended. Lesson learned. Would definitely do this trail again.

BEAUTIFUL hike. Went early last Wednesday (6/10/20) morning, started a little after 7am. Not many people on the trail. Decided to park at Chautauqua (free parking during weekdays) which ended up being a smart decision, as the Gregory Canyon Trailhead parking was small, you have to pay if your car is not registered in Boulder County, and there was almost no parking in the actual tiny lot, nor on the street, on my descent.

Hiked yesterday afternoon, went clockwise. Great hike elevation wise (moderate), moderate shade coverage, and great views towards the peak. Other trails weave near and across this one so it’s helpful to have a map. Wildflowers right now are beautiful.

Great trail but easy to veer off path a few times early on in the hike. Download a map and pay attention to the forks. Loved that this was shaded for most of the hike. Wildflowers were beautiful and views were great! Parking at the trailhead is hit or miss even early in the morning. This is a popular trail.

Incredible views, steep hill climbs and lots of shade.

Went June 11, great views, rocky, beware of rattlesnakes, saw one come out from a rock formation about 1 mile into the trail, still worth it. No issues with parking on a weekday around 10 AM.

Fun hike. I would say half lush/greenery and half dry/rocky. I would recommend doing this in the early morning or before the heat of the day. No mud, ice or snow. Make sure you find the correct trailhead - it is a bit confusing. The trailhead parking lot has two signs that both read "Gregory Canyon" across the top. If you are facing west (or headed up the road towards the trailhead), you'll want to go to the trailhead that is on the right, past the first trailhead, which will be on the left. If you start out and find yourself on the Bluebell-Baird, Amphitheater, Saddle Rock, Ski Jump or Baseline trail...you are in the wrong place. We found this out the hard way haha.

This trail is on the high end of moderate, pretty good incline for majority of the first half of the loop. Interesting and good cover, lots of flowers. We hiked on a Sunday, arrived at 7:30am and parking was already a mess. 6 spots total at the trail head. Get here early!!!

Great trail! Did this in the evening and added the stop at the Ampitheater. First bit is the biggest incline/workout, but it flattens out before descent - overall very pleasant hike! You will cross Flagstaff Rd a couple times on the way down.

This trail was ridiculously beautiful. There were wildflowers everywhere. I had worship music on in my earphones and had the time of my life. Highly recommended. It’s a good work out on the way up gorgeous sprawling views and a nice dissent down Flagstaff. You will need to weave in and out of roads on the way down but it’s still pretty. Highly recommend this trail!

Absolutely gorgeous trail. Recommend adding the short trip over to the amphitheater! It’s a great spot to stop for a bit of water and a view. Took this trail as a late hike and had beautiful pre-dusk lighting. The first 1.5 miles are a good workout, but afterwards it flattens out and becomes a very easygoing, enjoyable trail.