Cyber Weekend Sale 50% Off
Get Started
Learn more

Greenhorn Trail is a 14 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rye, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 14.0 mi Elevation gain 5,098 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Camping Hiking Nature trips Forest River Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Snow
Waypoints (0)
Photos (104)
Recordings (87)
Completed (127)
Zachary Chaffee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 15, 2020

View Zachary's Recording
Stacie Bouse-Luersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Stacie's Recording
Rick M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Rick's Recording
Kris Tharp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020

Absolutely beautiful place

View Kris's Recording
Kelvin Evans99

Awesome

View Kelvin's Recording
Robert Tillman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020

Great hike We

View Robert's Recording
Andrew Lang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Great trail, a little overgrown in some areas. Has a nice variety of terrain. We hiked just past the halfway mark and thoroughly enjoyed it. We’ll summit it next time!

View Andrew's Recording
Katie Gerber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Beautiful views. As an update to the comment below: the blow downs near the top have mostly been cleared (thank you trail crews!). According to my phone and hours hiked (6), I’d put total mileage ~15-16 miles.

Tom Schmidt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingBlowdownOff trail
View Tom's Recording
Toni Warner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! Only made it about 2/3 of the way because we’re not used to the altitude yet. Will come back again to try to reach the top!

View Toni's Recording
Brandon Covington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2020
HikingBlowdown

I guess laying around all winter eating junk fooddoesn’t do much for a hiker. I started at 630 this morning(5/29/20). First three miles are very easy going and really beautiful, I ended up hiking 6.7 mile up the mountain and still wasn’t very close to north peak. I don’t know where the 12.5 miles comes from. After you cross the river back and forth about five times you need to fill up with water, none after that. And after that all you are doing is switch backs and it is gruesome. I marked some camp spots on my recording. This was a very hard trail for me. Don’t know if it was because I’m not in as good of shape as I was last year or what but it was freaking hard. So some bear poop and some kinda bird that looks like a big pigeon, kept flying up and scaring the crap outa me. If anybody know how far it actually is to the summit shoot me an email. I’d really like to know. Brandocovi@gmail.com

Natalie Burback
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

We really enjoyed this trail and will definitely be coming back! Started early (about 7:30 AM) on the Saturday of MDW. Made it to the top and most of the way back down and only saw two other people. Once we got closer to the trail head (now about noon), there were many more people. Most of these people appeared to be just walking to the creek or enjoying a short hike. We also encountered ticks close to the bottom of the trail. It is a long and strenuous hike and there were patches of snow that you have to slowly get across. That said, I would 100% recommend that, if you're physically capable and have proper gear, you make the trip to the top. It's beautiful views and serene isolation for days.

M Mcconnel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2020

Great trail.

Mickey Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 23, 2020
Hiking

hi! trying to find the tril head? do i go through rye(main street) to park rod to cuerna verda?

‘Manda L-C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
HikingIcyRockySnow
View ‘Manda's Recording
Britton Lynn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 23, 2020
HikingIcyRockySnow

One of the best hiking, trail running trails I’ve ever done. I will definitely be back in hopefully next time I will be able to finish it! Incredible views, quiet and the river running beside the trail made it feel like I was in a dream.

View Britton's Recording
Drew Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 5, 2020
HikingIcySnow
View Drew's Recording
Matt Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
Hiking

This is by far one of my most favorite trails! Everything a hiker can ask for! Creeks, rockslide trails, distance, and amazing views! Luckily I haven’t spotted any predator wild life in all the times I’ve gone but make no mistake they are out there.

View Matt's Recording
Collin Chauncey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2019
HikingOff trail
Rich Gonzales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky
View Rich's Recording
Lillian Woolworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

One of my new favorite hikes in CO! Went July 20-21 backpacking. Gorgeous valley, pines, aspens, wildflowers, butterflies, streams. Only made it about 5 miles in but plan to return to summit! Trailhead (the one closest to Rye) is very small, maybe 10 cars could fit, but no one else was there. Easily accessible by any type of car. Says no camping, but I think that is a mistake because there is definitely camping allowed. The first 0.7 mi is on private property, then gets into National Forest land, then at maybe the 3 mile mark it becomes the Greenhorn Wilderness Area. We camped right before the Greenhorn Wilderness area at one of the 3 campsites. In the morning we forged ahead into the wilderness area, which immediately becomes even more lush, buzzing with bees and butterflies, and the trail became very narrow and overgrown. The whole trail was shaded. We made our way up through lush aspen forests which will be fantastic in the fall. Steep switchbacks continued in the trees along a ridge and gave way to vistas all the way to the plains to the East. Lots of trees down in this part of the trail, but still easily passable. We did see a deer leg on the trail, which may have been fresh cougar kill, but saw no wildlife bigger than a chipmunk. Heard warnings from locals about bears so brought bear spray and definitely secured our food. Not overly buggy, just a few flies. Saw reviews about ticks and did a daily tick check but found none, even when brushing up with grass/plants along trail much of the way. Saw 2 hiking parties on 2nd day only. Writing this review in the hopes that more people hike here and enjoy it! For backpacking though, in the 5 miles we only saw 4 campsites, and really there was nowhere feasible to put a tent that was not one of the 4 obvious campsites. Maybe there are more further up. Happy hiking!