Green Mountain Open Space

Green Mountain Open Space is a 20.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morrison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Fun, intermediate mountain bike ride about 20 minutes west of Denver, near Lakewood, Colorado. This trail is fairly easy with a good climb and intermediate descents. Also popular with hikers. Please share the trails respectfully. Not all of the trails and junctions are well marked, so be careful not to get lost and bring the map with you if you can.

I live on this mountain and enjoy hiking here. It is busy during the warmer months, and as others point out, many bikers don’t share the path or watch their speed which is annoying but hey, driving 6th Avenue has the same issue so you get used to it. Watch for rattle snakes!

Easy, enjoyable hike. Great for a newbie to the area getting used to a little elevation (like me!) and still wanting some nice views without traveling too far. Saw some cool birds and a coyote.

beautiful views! for my first hike it was well worth it!

This trail was a lot of fun to run. The only suggestion I have is to be familiar with the trails before you head up the mountain. The kiosk at the trailhead has a trail map, but it isn't very specific and doesn't show distances per trail. Being a first-time on the mountain, I ended up talking to several friendly trail runners who gladly helped me out. Super nice weather!

shows signs of a lot of people. too much bike activity with riders thinking mud is fun with no respect for the trail damage.

Good for a close, early hills hike.

Many bikers- great for a workout especially if you start the trail to the left.

More of a mountain biking trail. Not great for hiking.

This is a very nice trail extremely close to downtown Denver. My girlfriend and I hiked the largest loop possible starting from the lot west of C470. We started off going up the step incline to the left by the large rock outcropping... this may have been out first mistake. This path is nice and wide but a straight incline for well over a mile. We really liked all the different trail options and for being just an open space with no trees it was actually very pretty. Our only complaints about the trail is the different trail options aren't defined very well, gender the reason we took the largest loop, evening ending up on Alameda at ones point. The other HUGE complaint is this trail is an excellent mountain biking trail. We must have yielded to no less than 150 bikes in our 2:45 of hiking, and in some sections they are flying well over 20/30 mph.

Beautiful hike and has an amazing view of denver when you make it up! Wonderful for our dog as well

So pretty! You can see everything... downtown, the Flatirons, the mountains.

From the 470 side it's a good short vertical gain of about 700 feet in 1.1 miles great for repeats especially time is limited.

Very boring hike. There are some great views here and there, but the rest if very boring. Zero shade - I mean zero. Not even at the trail heads. No picnic tables, no water sources and poorly marked trails. A lot of mountain bikers seem to be enjoying the terrain - not too steep and some great single track. I would not recommend this for a hike. I needed to get a 20 miler in with my son for his Hiking Merit Badge and the 20.8 mile loop looked great online - but you have to watch the route closely on the app to make sure you don't miss the turns due to the poor marking.

Pee before you hike or at least don't guzzle water. There's no place to drop trou without a biker zipping up on you or in plain view of pretty much anyone on your side of the mountain. ;) It's pretty but hot! Absolutely no shade. Lots of routes to choose from.

No shade, which was not the most pleasant in the summer, but scenic views and wildflowers. I'm pretty clumsy, so my foot slipped on the loose rubble coming down, so be sure to wear shoes with good traction.

I live down the street Avd it's great exercise. I wish the trails were marked better as far as distance traveled. It seems only Green Mountain Trail starting on the west side is marked.

certain trails not kid friendly. not clearly marked.

A great 6 mile hike super close to Denver with superb views of the mountains !

One of my favorite hiking areas close to Denver. Decent opportunity for elevation gain (especially if you take the fire road from the West side - that seems pretty steep). You can connect numerous trails into the distance you want . . . and loop and loop and loop.

Popular with mountain bikers, but 9/10 of them are extremely polite. 1/10 bikers should be reminded that they are supposed to yield to hikers, equestrians, deer, porcupines, voles . . . you get the idea.

Note -- the 3,000' plus elevation gain is if you do every single trail (thus descend and climb). From trailhead to highest point is about 930' or so.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Close by and a good workout

Monday, April 03, 2017

shotty place just like the town it is in.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Great trail for mountain biking, there are also plenty of places to turn off and go along other paths.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Nice variety of trails, busy park but most people are friendly!

Friday, March 10, 2017

Short, Nice hike to panoramic views at the summit. City and plains to the east while great views of the foothills and front range to the west

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Super easy trail. Was the first trail I did so I didn't realize how many other super cool trails were out there. Lots of dogs and kids and open space. Nice little morning outing

Friday, February 24, 2017

I particularly like hiking here in spring, when it is less crowded.

Friday, December 30, 2016

A great trail for children and dogs - tons of options for distance ranging from a couple miles to 20+ miles.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

It was awesome we only stayed on the green mountain trail there are other ones that join together to make it longer.We did 6.74:) will go back and do it again!!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Close to home trail for me, one of my favorites. I did come across two giant rattlesnakes 10-9-16 so keep an eye out. Not much coverage from trees (none) but still some solid trails for running, hiking, or biking.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

I did a portion of this trail on mountain bike and it was definitely a workout. Be careful as there's a mix of hikers and bikers- some of the ridge walking is steep!