Green Mountain Novice Loop

moderate 75 reviews

Green Mountain Novice Loop is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Denver, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,072 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice little sunrise hike to get the blood pumping. Started at 7:30 on a Sunday and it was pretty empty. Trailheads looked 3/4 full by the time we finished at 9:30. Dogs, bikers, trail runners, walkers. Nice views.

icy

I went clockwise which on that side was pretty windy! once you get over to the left side of the loop it get a little dicey in on peice due to it being covered in ice but overall good hike with some really nice views.

bridge out

Another disappointing walk. Alltrails stopped tracking halfway through. No provision for resuming. You can either save the part it tracked or erase the whole thing. So sick of this app. They autobilled me or I would not be using it.

There is a very steep, intense incline on this hike, but it pays off at the top with a phenomenal view of the city of Denver on one side, and a view of the mountains on the other. Would absolutely do this hike again!

No shade at all, bring plenty of hydration.

Liked the trail, took the left side for the loop and about 3 miles in is a steep incline up to the top. Lots of bikers the day I did this trail so be on the lookout. Saw lots of prairie dogs, bunnies, and flowers while on the hike. Great views of the city and mountain ridge from the top!

Very open trail with zero shade whatsoever. Great view of Colorado from the top. Started left and the incline about 3 miles in was very aggressive. There are a lot of bikers out. Keep track of your trail because there are multiple crossing points. A lot of wildlife out and about. Will be back again!

Easy pasture trail with some elevation.

great run. steep climb, then downhill!! Saw deer, elk, prairie dogs, and bunnies!!

First ever trail run!! my running app said 8 miles. This said 7 miles. Gorgeous evening out. Tons of bikers and lots of runners on the trail!

Muddy in some areas but otherwise beautiful!

Tue Dec 18 2018

As a novice mountain biker I was looking for a novice trail. I found the Green Mountain Novice Loop a complete misnomer as it has a considerable amount of "moderate" trails and is rated, overall, as moderate. Hmm. I survived just fine and found out I can do moderate terrain, but good heavens change the name. Also, with no more than about 1/3 of the trails marked, and no large map boards except in the parking lot, navigation was a bit of a challenge. Not unexpected for a trail in the mountains, but I thought something "in town" would be better marked and...ahem...properly named!

Sat Dec 15 2018

Better for mtn biking

Sun Oct 28 2018

Easy to navigate, mostly good for mountain biking but some hikers on trail. Many paths to choose from. Ran some of it.

Wed Aug 15 2018

great hike. loose gravel makes it slippery at times.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Had a nice hike here today. We brought our dogs and luckily we had some cloud cover. It was about 6.6 miles from the car and back. The hike was great, lots of ups and downs and some good incline. My one complaint is that there is no tree cover. It is really just a wide open meadow and field. We were fortunate with the cloud cover today but I wouldn’t bring a dog back here during the summer months knowing how hot it gets, the rattlesnakes and the lack of any water or shade cover. Other than that we saw lots of runners and bikers. It was a good trail and I think we were lucky with the weather today!

Tue May 29 2018

I've really enjoyed this hike over the last couple of weeks. The weather has been wonderful. Only downside is that myself and my friend both slipped while hiking the last mile as a result of all the loose dirt and gravel.

recorded Green Mountain Trail