Green Mountain Loop

Green Mountain Loop is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

A popular peak hike providing views of the Indian Peaks and Boulder Head up Bluebell trail to Gregory canyon trailhead (there is a fee to park here). From here either way is fun, but clockwise is a little harder. Travel up Gregory canyon to the cabin with outhouses. From there take the trail up the north ridge to the peak. Enjoy the views on a clear day and head down when ready. For an extra workout, go back on Bluebell, otherwise head down the baseline trail to the trailhead.

Nice trail. Took me about three hours. Great views all the way throughout.

Great hike! Beautiful view at the top.

Hard but the views at the top and along the way are gorgeous! Saw my first snake on the trail which was a little spooky and there's plenty of signs up warning about mountain lion and bear spotting so keep your guard up!

Oh boy, we saw a black bear cub on the amphitheater trail. Luckily a trail runner came through and scared it off. Other than that the trail has its difficulties in terms of large steps going up to and after the peak. It also started raining on us so i’d prefer to try again on a sunny, bear free day.

You need a discover pass just FYI!

This trail is quite difficult! My husband and I wanted something hard-but man this kicked out butts! At one point you’re climbing up a ladder...so there’s that. The views were beautiful. The one thing that was a bummer-at the top there was an unusual amount of flying bugs...like a ridiculous amount. It made the summit a bummer and we didn’t spend much time there. But we would def do this hike again!

Great trail.

This hike was difficult but so fun! Beautiful hike close to Boulder, with great views in all directions and some great birding opportunities. Definitely recommend to anyone because it’s no too long and you can take your time even through the steep stuff. The only thing is, being so close to the front range on a hot day it is very hot up there too.

Challenging but rewarding views at the top

I got everything I wanted on this trail. A great leg workout, pretty views and not a lot of other people on the far part of the trail. I went on a Wednesday afternoon. Once you get back to ranger trail you will encounter more people but higher up it was pretty desolate. Just me and some swallowtails and lots of wildflowers.

Hot, but okay as >50% of the trail is under the cover of trees. Beautiful views. Gorgeous wildflowers. Not very crowded. Many butterflies (and black flies) at the summit. Please practice LNT (leave no trace) principles - I carried down a fair amount of trash including orange peels, plastic bottles, and dog poop. Please leave our trails better than how you found them.

One of my year round favorites

Tough hike up but well worth it for the panoramic views.

I do this hike a couple times a year and love it. Really challenging for being so close to Boulder. I like going on weekdays but even on weekends the crowds tend to fall away as you climb up the Amphitheater Trail toward Saddle Rock. Lots of trail runners on the Gregory Canyon side so be courteous and vigilant!

5/22 great workout, good views, easy trail to follow. Lots of wild flowers. Too many people on the trail...even on a Tuesday. I went clockwise. Also plenty of trash (collected everything I saw), and dog poop bags. Instagram ec_boyd

The first 3 miles was the hardest part of the hike. The last 2 miles was such a nice and pretty hike surrounded by pretty trees and flowers. A lot of people, hard to find parking space. I saw many people with ski poles but there's no reason to for it, around this time of the year.

great day for a hike
moderate traffic
clear trail markings

Perfect hike to see Boulder from above. It was nice have a perfect loop instead of an out and back.

It didn’t feel all that difficult, but it was really long. There’s a no dogs sign indicated for the greenman trail at the summit, but I didn’t see that indication at the trailhead. It made me nervous the entire time down like I was breaking rules having my dog.

Beautiful trail with some steep climbs and great views.

Beautiful views of the 14ers at the summit of Green mountain. I would definitely recommend taking this loop clockwise to make for an enjoyable descent, as the amphitheater side is extremely steep

Fantastic, scenic hike in fresh, late March snow. Physically pretty demanding on the way up but technically not too difficult on the way down. Did the loop clockwise.

Hiked on 3/25/18. Made it up and down without micro spikes but there were some slick moments, especially on the decent. Always a good Boulder go-to but you will see a ton of folks on this one.

Fun trail.

Hiked Green Mountain today as our first hike of the season and really enjoyed it. It was dry and snow free for the most part but the closer we got to the summit the more packed snow and icy spots we encountered. We hiked up Gregory Canyon and didn’t use our spikes at all but on the way down I was really glad to have them. As usual we saw a lot of people in sneakers that made it up and down as well so you can do without I guess. All in all great hike but a bit too crowded for my taste but that’s what you get when you hike in Boulder.

We enjoyed our hike today but there was a lot of ice and snow on the trail. Crampons would have been very helpful.

Slightly icy in the beginning and towards the top today. Temperature was very warm 50F+ with the sun beaming down I had only a long sleeve on the whole time. Coming down the other side there was a ton of packed snow and ice. Would have been quite a bit more difficult without crampons. Try and get there pretty early as it can get pretty packed at the top later in the day.

On a clear day the views at the top are stunning! Took about 4 hours RT with a 30 min break at the top, so it makes for a perfect day hike from Denver. Overall a steady uphill climb but frequent places to stop and take a break. Trail is clearly marked as well. The loop back down is incredibly icy and shaded, so spikes/traction are a plus.