Green Mountain Loop

Green Mountain Loop is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

A popular peak hike providing views of the Indian Peaks and Boulder Head up Bluebell trail to Gregory canyon trailhead (there is a fee to park here). From here either way is fun, but clockwise is a little harder. Travel up Gregory canyon to the cabin with outhouses. From there take the trail up the north ridge to the peak. Enjoy the views on a clear day and head down when ready. For an extra workout, go back on Bluebell, otherwise head down the baseline trail to the trailhead.

Fantastic, scenic hike in fresh, late March snow. Physically pretty demanding on the way up but technically not too difficult on the way down. Did the loop clockwise.

Hiked on 3/25/18. Made it up and down without micro spikes but there were some slick moments, especially on the decent. Always a good Boulder go-to but you will see a ton of folks on this one.

Fun trail.

Hiked Green Mountain today as our first hike of the season and really enjoyed it. It was dry and snow free for the most part but the closer we got to the summit the more packed snow and icy spots we encountered. We hiked up Gregory Canyon and didn’t use our spikes at all but on the way down I was really glad to have them. As usual we saw a lot of people in sneakers that made it up and down as well so you can do without I guess. All in all great hike but a bit too crowded for my taste but that’s what you get when you hike in Boulder.

We enjoyed our hike today but there was a lot of ice and snow on the trail. Crampons would have been very helpful.

Slightly icy in the beginning and towards the top today. Temperature was very warm 50F+ with the sun beaming down I had only a long sleeve on the whole time. Coming down the other side there was a ton of packed snow and ice. Would have been quite a bit more difficult without crampons. Try and get there pretty early as it can get pretty packed at the top later in the day.

On a clear day the views at the top are stunning! Took about 4 hours RT with a 30 min break at the top, so it makes for a perfect day hike from Denver. Overall a steady uphill climb but frequent places to stop and take a break. Trail is clearly marked as well. The loop back down is incredibly icy and shaded, so spikes/traction are a plus.

Gregory Canyon is in mostly good shape. Yak tracks helped with a few of the icy areas. Saddle Rock on the way down thought was steep with lots of ice and snow pack. Worst areas are at the top and near the ladder. I would not recommend trying Saddle Rock with just sneakers or anything without a lot of traction.

great hiking definitely hard

One of my favorite trails to hike. Fair amount of snow still, spikes aren't a requirement, but they would definitely help on the walk down. Not usually busy at all during the week, and the summit is well worth the hike up.

Tough climb, great hike. Beautiful views above the Flatirons. Microspikes would’ve been helpful on way down, but not necessary.

In my opinion, this is the best hike directly in boulder. Not too easy, not too hard, easy access, not overly crowded (the day I went), just a great hike. I used microspikes for about 30% of the trail and was definitely glad I had them, but I saw other people getting by without them.

Icey in spots!

This is a very pretty hike - great openings to views - not too crowded if you go early. Good to have microspikes as there are some icy areas

Bring spikes, great hike. Views are great!

I did this trail late in the afternoon on a colder December day. It's a real climber until you reach Green Mountain, and from there it's all down hill. I definitely recommend microspikes because there are icy and hardpacked areas. I will definitely want to hike this trail again.

Legs are tired after climbing this one today but it was gorgeous with a beautiful view of Indian Peaks and RMNP. Take your yak tracks...lots of ice on the rocky parts of the trails.

Definitely a hard hike. So many stairs! Great fun though. Lots to see and many different styles of terrain.

I went up amphitheater (loop clockwise) definitely a challenge with the climb. I wouldn’t do it in sneakers but there were multiple people running so to each their own. The way down was great and way more scenic.

Most of the trail was snow covered, with a fair amount of ice. We had traction and were glad we did. Many runners seemed to be ok with no traction. Beautiful walk, worth the effort.

Ran the trail today and it was great, a little ice on the trail up top but won’t stop you

Not for the faint of heart! If you’re not used to the elevation, it can be tough going up. Views are worth it!!!

Took amphitheater first, started at 9 AM. Hardly saw anyone until the summit. EM Greenman was icy in spots, but not bad at all. Ranger down to Gregory canyon and out. 2.5 hours. Amazing morning, overall very clean and well marked. Great views looking down at Flatirons.

Definitely a very beautiful trail. We did this last weekend, we were very concerned about the huge crowds, but the second we veered off onto this more difficult trail people disappeared. We went clockwise- much more difficult. The ONLY complaint I have is that it is not listed anywhere that only part of the trail allows dogs. We got several miles in with our pup, the Green Mountain trail will suddenly fork- one takes you up to the summit, one back down the mountain. The trail up to the summit had a strict no dog policy, automatic summons, due to conservation efforts. That’s the only reason I give 4 stars, it was a huge bummer getting several miles in only to find out we just had to go back down the mountain. Cuts out maybe a mile and a half of trail.

This was a beautiful hike. 3 adults and five children from 10-13 were challenged but enjoyed the nearly 7 miles of rocky terrain. Steep inclines and breathtaking views abound. Would definitely do it again.

2.5 hours
13,598 steps
230 floors
Beautiful hike

More stairs than I ever want to see but worth it for the views from the top!

I did this hike with 2 other friends and had an incredible experience! None of us are really experienced hikers, but we're active and this was a hard hike for sure. My legs are sore while I'm typing this but totally worth it. We got a bit turned around a few times on the way down and almost found ourselves on an unfamiliar mountain path with no flashlight, but we made it just in time. It's cold and very windy on the way up this time of year so pack an extra jacket if you're not used to the weather!

Maybe the most challenging hike I've experienced. Much of the rocky, steep trail was icy and snow-covered which made footing rather tricky. My 12-year-old daughter had a really tough time but made it. Plan accordingly. Must say however, the journey was worth it.