Green Mountain Loop

Green Mountain Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

A popular peak hike providing views of the Indian Peaks and Boulder Head up Bluebell trail to Gregory canyon trailhead (there is a fee to park here). From here either way is fun, but clockwise is a little harder. Travel up Gregory canyon to the cabin with outhouses. From there take the trail up the north ridge to the peak. Enjoy the views on a clear day and head down when ready. For an extra workout, go back on Bluebell, otherwise head down the baseline trail to the trailhead.

Definitely a hard hike. So many stairs! Great fun though. Lots to see and many different styles of terrain.

I went up amphitheater (loop clockwise) definitely a challenge with the climb. I wouldn’t do it in sneakers but there were multiple people running so to each their own. The way down was great and way more scenic.

Most of the trail was snow covered, with a fair amount of ice. We had traction and were glad we did. Many runners seemed to be ok with no traction. Beautiful walk, worth the effort.

Ran the trail today and it was great, a little ice on the trail up top but won’t stop you

Not for the faint of heart! If you’re not used to the elevation, it can be tough going up. Views are worth it!!!

Took amphitheater first, started at 9 AM. Hardly saw anyone until the summit. EM Greenman was icy in spots, but not bad at all. Ranger down to Gregory canyon and out. 2.5 hours. Amazing morning, overall very clean and well marked. Great views looking down at Flatirons.

Definitely a very beautiful trail. We did this last weekend, we were very concerned about the huge crowds, but the second we veered off onto this more difficult trail people disappeared. We went clockwise- much more difficult. The ONLY complaint I have is that it is not listed anywhere that only part of the trail allows dogs. We got several miles in with our pup, the Green Mountain trail will suddenly fork- one takes you up to the summit, one back down the mountain. The trail up to the summit had a strict no dog policy, automatic summons, due to conservation efforts. That’s the only reason I give 4 stars, it was a huge bummer getting several miles in only to find out we just had to go back down the mountain. Cuts out maybe a mile and a half of trail.

This was a beautiful hike. 3 adults and five children from 10-13 were challenged but enjoyed the nearly 7 miles of rocky terrain. Steep inclines and breathtaking views abound. Would definitely do it again.

More stairs than I ever want to see but worth it for the views from the top!

I did this hike with 2 other friends and had an incredible experience! None of us are really experienced hikers, but we're active and this was a hard hike for sure. My legs are sore while I'm typing this but totally worth it. We got a bit turned around a few times on the way down and almost found ourselves on an unfamiliar mountain path with no flashlight, but we made it just in time. It's cold and very windy on the way up this time of year so pack an extra jacket if you're not used to the weather!

Maybe the most challenging hike I've experienced. Much of the rocky, steep trail was icy and snow-covered which made footing rather tricky. My 12-year-old daughter had a really tough time but made it. Plan accordingly. Must say however, the journey was worth it.

Loved the depth of the snowy beautiful forest. Great leg workout.

This was my first hard trail. Was worth it for the views and the workout. There are quite a bit of icy patches on the way up / down, so definitely recommend cleats / micro-spikes for the shoes. Also, the area has many criss-crossing trails, so just be on the lookout on which one you want to take.

Challenging but beautiful hike. Took about 4 hours and a half. Some in the group did it faster, some slower. Can be icy from about half way up on the shady side. Take Advil before you go - it's a thigh burner and tough on the knees, especially coming down. Views at various stages along the way make it worth the pain.

there's a bug on the weather tab. It won't allow me to see what days the weather will be.

Yep. Definitely agree with the “hard” rating. As the other reviewers stated, know the trail names and have a plan before you start. I had to stop a few times to figure out which direction to go even with a plan! I went up the Gregory Canyon way, but suggest going the Amphitheatre way instead. It was hard on the knees coming down those million and a half stairs!!! Overall a beautiful, serene hike with wonderful views! Although the parking lot was full, there weren’t many folks on this trail. Get ready for a thigh burn! Totally worth it!

Amazing hike!! It gets a little chilly at certain points due to the wind but it has plenty of breathtaking views.

It was a great hike. We took amphitheater trail up and the Gregory canyon trail down which is in my personal opinion the hard way to do this loop; if you want to make an easier hike, do it opposite to what we did. Whichever way you choose, the scenery from up top is breath taking, take some snacks and enjoy a beautiful time up there.

Walked this first day in the area with my son - he and I both live much closer to sea level. Only got lost twice...Once we turned left on bluebell instead of right at top of Skijump; once coming down we turned on Long Canyon by mistake. Took us about 5 hours at a pretty leisurely pace. Nice views going up, but clouded up by the time we reached the summit around 4:00. Highly recommend!