Green Mountain Loop

Green Mountain Loop is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

A popular peak hike providing views of the Indian Peaks and Boulder Head up Bluebell trail to Gregory canyon trailhead (there is a fee to park here). From here either way is fun, but clockwise is a little harder. Travel up Gregory canyon to the cabin with outhouses. From there take the trail up the north ridge to the peak. Enjoy the views on a clear day and head down when ready. For an extra workout, go back on Bluebell, otherwise head down the baseline trail to the trailhead.

I got everything I wanted on this trail. A great leg workout, pretty views and not a lot of other people on the far part of the trail. I went on a Wednesday afternoon. Once you get back to ranger trail you will encounter more people but higher up it was pretty desolate. Just me and some swallowtails and lots of wildflowers.

One of my year round favorites

Tough hike up but well worth it for the panoramic views.

I do this hike a couple times a year and love it. Really challenging for being so close to Boulder. I like going on weekdays but even on weekends the crowds tend to fall away as you climb up the Amphitheater Trail toward Saddle Rock. Lots of trail runners on the Gregory Canyon side so be courteous and vigilant!

5/22 great workout, good views, easy trail to follow. Lots of wild flowers. Too many people on the trail...even on a Tuesday. I went clockwise. Also plenty of trash (collected everything I saw), and dog poop bags. Instagram ec_boyd

The first 3 miles was the hardest part of the hike. The last 2 miles was such a nice and pretty hike surrounded by pretty trees and flowers. A lot of people, hard to find parking space. I saw many people with ski poles but there's no reason to for it, around this time of the year.

great day for a hike
moderate traffic
clear trail markings

Perfect hike to see Boulder from above. It was nice have a perfect loop instead of an out and back.

It didn’t feel all that difficult, but it was really long. There’s a no dogs sign indicated for the greenman trail at the summit, but I didn’t see that indication at the trailhead. It made me nervous the entire time down like I was breaking rules having my dog.

Beautiful trail with some steep climbs and great views.

Beautiful views of the 14ers at the summit of Green mountain. I would definitely recommend taking this loop clockwise to make for an enjoyable descent, as the amphitheater side is extremely steep

Fantastic, scenic hike in fresh, late March snow. Physically pretty demanding on the way up but technically not too difficult on the way down. Did the loop clockwise.

Hiked on 3/25/18. Made it up and down without micro spikes but there were some slick moments, especially on the decent. Always a good Boulder go-to but you will see a ton of folks on this one.

Fun trail.

Hiked Green Mountain today as our first hike of the season and really enjoyed it. It was dry and snow free for the most part but the closer we got to the summit the more packed snow and icy spots we encountered. We hiked up Gregory Canyon and didn’t use our spikes at all but on the way down I was really glad to have them. As usual we saw a lot of people in sneakers that made it up and down as well so you can do without I guess. All in all great hike but a bit too crowded for my taste but that’s what you get when you hike in Boulder.

We enjoyed our hike today but there was a lot of ice and snow on the trail. Crampons would have been very helpful.

Slightly icy in the beginning and towards the top today. Temperature was very warm 50F+ with the sun beaming down I had only a long sleeve on the whole time. Coming down the other side there was a ton of packed snow and ice. Would have been quite a bit more difficult without crampons. Try and get there pretty early as it can get pretty packed at the top later in the day.

On a clear day the views at the top are stunning! Took about 4 hours RT with a 30 min break at the top, so it makes for a perfect day hike from Denver. Overall a steady uphill climb but frequent places to stop and take a break. Trail is clearly marked as well. The loop back down is incredibly icy and shaded, so spikes/traction are a plus.

Gregory Canyon is in mostly good shape. Yak tracks helped with a few of the icy areas. Saddle Rock on the way down thought was steep with lots of ice and snow pack. Worst areas are at the top and near the ladder. I would not recommend trying Saddle Rock with just sneakers or anything without a lot of traction.

great hiking definitely hard

One of my favorite trails to hike. Fair amount of snow still, spikes aren't a requirement, but they would definitely help on the walk down. Not usually busy at all during the week, and the summit is well worth the hike up.

Tough climb, great hike. Beautiful views above the Flatirons. Microspikes would’ve been helpful on way down, but not necessary.

In my opinion, this is the best hike directly in boulder. Not too easy, not too hard, easy access, not overly crowded (the day I went), just a great hike. I used microspikes for about 30% of the trail and was definitely glad I had them, but I saw other people getting by without them.

Icey in spots!

This is a very pretty hike - great openings to views - not too crowded if you go early. Good to have microspikes as there are some icy areas

Bring spikes, great hike. Views are great!

I did this trail late in the afternoon on a colder December day. It's a real climber until you reach Green Mountain, and from there it's all down hill. I definitely recommend microspikes because there are icy and hardpacked areas. I will definitely want to hike this trail again.

Legs are tired after climbing this one today but it was gorgeous with a beautiful view of Indian Peaks and RMNP. Take your yak tracks...lots of ice on the rocky parts of the trails.

Definitely a hard hike. So many stairs! Great fun though. Lots to see and many different styles of terrain.