Grays Peak Trail from I-70

Grays Peak Trail from I-70 is a 13.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail, however would not recommend going anytime after September. Was incredibly icy and snowy when I went and it ended up stopping my group from going to the next peak and made for some pretty slippery descents.

Good for first 14er, combined with it's partner Torreys peak. Most hikers were doing Grays then over to Torreys via the mountaintop connection; however there was significantly less traffic the other direction. Beautiful weather at the beginning of September, keep an eye on weather for potential thunderstorms.

Beautiful 14er

The fact that it basically rained all day doesn't really factor into my enjoyment of this hike. Strong recommend. I'll be back when the weather is clear to do it again.

Bring a sandwich with you and eat it when you get to the top.

Hiked both Grays and Torrey's Peaks. Weather was great. Not a real hard hike. A little challenging on the decent with the loose rocks. Overall a good hike for a average hiker. Started at 5:30 and was back at the trailhead by 2:00pm.

My first 14er, and it was amazing!

Really loved this hike. As we did it on 4th of July, it was pretty crowded but it never felt as packed as it was. Even at the summits.

First off- HIGHLY recommend 4WD to get to the trailhead.

The trail is very well kept, quite steep once you're passed treeline, as to be expected, but easy to follow. There was snow as you approach the saddle and a narrow ridge to walk along it with quite a steep drop off to the right. It wasn't ideal. Especially if you had to pass someone. Would've loved micro spikes at that point but you wouldn't need them at any other point. I was fine in just my hiking boots.

The biggest advice I have is to go up through the snow, straight to the saddle and go up Torreys (to the right) first. Then go down the saddle and up to Grays. There's a trail on the far end of the summit that's much more shallow switchbacks. It'll take you quite far down and you'll be able to avoid going back down the snowy ledge.

Torreys trail is pretty straight up, steep and a bit slippery. From saddle to summit though, it's only maybe 30 minutes. I preferred this hike. Love to see exactly where I'm headed. Grays has more switchbacks from the saddle and felt more tiring to me. Plus there's a false summit. I'd guess probably the same, 30ish minutes.

Both summits, lunch, and coming back took me exactly 7 hours. I'm an avid hiker but consider I myself a middle of the road as fair as fitness goes! Good luck!

Did this Thanksgiving day and felt 0 shame eating an entire pumpkin pie later that day. I was kind of feeling the altitude because I had flown in from Los Angeles at 8pm the night before but I still thoroughly enjoyed the hike. Was my first 14er and a great way to start. It was cold and there was plenty of snow when we went but nothing some microspikes, gaiters and a balaclava couldn't handle. We had wanted to loop in Torrey's Peak, too, but the wind had picked up enough to dissuade us from it - or at least provide an excuse to head back and start the thanksgiving feast.

First 14er! Definitely was hard, but so worth it! Will be coming back when the snow melts to do Torrey's :)

This was my first 14er, and it was so worth the challenge! The drive up is very treacherous, I'd also recommend getting there as early as possible to guarantee a good parking spot further up. Some reviews are stating that it was too crowded. When I went it definitely had quite a few people but i found it fun! Everyone was very social and encouraging, which I really appreciated! The altitude definitely sneaks up on you that's for sure.

Do Not attempt driving up the road untill the snowpack melts.