Grays Peak Trail from I-70

Grays Peak Trail from I-70 is a 13 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked from I-70 in mid April as the road to trailhead was not accessible even with a 4x4 due to mix of snow and Ice. But as Temps rise it should clear. Check with Ranger's office to get updated information on the road conditions. Amazing views from the trailhead to the peak. Recommend snowshoes and microspikes if hiking in winter conditions. Definitely worth giving a try.

Beautiful trail, however would not recommend going anytime after September. Was incredibly icy and snowy when I went and it ended up stopping my group from going to the next peak and made for some pretty slippery descents.

Good for first 14er, combined with it's partner Torreys peak. Most hikers were doing Grays then over to Torreys via the mountaintop connection; however there was significantly less traffic the other direction. Beautiful weather at the beginning of September, keep an eye on weather for potential thunderstorms.

Beautiful 14er

The fact that it basically rained all day doesn't really factor into my enjoyment of this hike. Strong recommend. I'll be back when the weather is clear to do it again.

Bring a sandwich with you and eat it when you get to the top.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Hiked both Grays and Torrey's Peaks. Weather was great. Not a real hard hike. A little challenging on the decent with the loose rocks. Overall a good hike for a average hiker. Started at 5:30 and was back at the trailhead by 2:00pm.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

My first 14er, and it was amazing!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Really loved this hike. As we did it on 4th of July, it was pretty crowded but it never felt as packed as it was. Even at the summits.

First off- HIGHLY recommend 4WD to get to the trailhead.

The trail is very well kept, quite steep once you're passed treeline, as to be expected, but easy to follow. There was snow as you approach the saddle and a narrow ridge to walk along it with quite a steep drop off to the right. It wasn't ideal. Especially if you had to pass someone. Would've loved micro spikes at that point but you wouldn't need them at any other point. I was fine in just my hiking boots.

The biggest advice I have is to go up through the snow, straight to the saddle and go up Torreys (to the right) first. Then go down the saddle and up to Grays. There's a trail on the far end of the summit that's much more shallow switchbacks. It'll take you quite far down and you'll be able to avoid going back down the snowy ledge.

Torreys trail is pretty straight up, steep and a bit slippery. From saddle to summit though, it's only maybe 30 minutes. I preferred this hike. Love to see exactly where I'm headed. Grays has more switchbacks from the saddle and felt more tiring to me. Plus there's a false summit. I'd guess probably the same, 30ish minutes.

Both summits, lunch, and coming back took me exactly 7 hours. I'm an avid hiker but consider I myself a middle of the road as fair as fitness goes! Good luck!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Did this Thanksgiving day and felt 0 shame eating an entire pumpkin pie later that day. I was kind of feeling the altitude because I had flown in from Los Angeles at 8pm the night before but I still thoroughly enjoyed the hike. Was my first 14er and a great way to start. It was cold and there was plenty of snow when we went but nothing some microspikes, gaiters and a balaclava couldn't handle. We had wanted to loop in Torrey's Peak, too, but the wind had picked up enough to dissuade us from it - or at least provide an excuse to head back and start the thanksgiving feast.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

First 14er! Definitely was hard, but so worth it! Will be coming back when the snow melts to do Torrey's :)

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Do Not attempt driving up the road untill the snowpack melts.

Monday, March 20, 2017

I just hiked to the summer trailhead from I-70 to snap some pictures. The hike from the winter trailhead is packed snow and icing in spots. I only used Yaktrax chains, which worked perfectly. Luckily only sank a couple times in mid shin deep snow! Pay attention when hiking, plenty of snow divots from hikers.

3/19/2017

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Beautiful, challenging hike. Leave early, this one takes a little while. Took me 5 hours to summit, 3 hours to return to the car, 8 in total. The road is closed during the winter, so you have to hike in from I70.

Snow was hard pack in the morning on the way up, and was very hard 12k+. Didn't need my snowshoes until there. Cramp-ons would have worked well too.

Slid down some snow fields on the descent and finally put my snowshoes back on at 11.5k because things were getting a bit too soft at that point in the day (2pm).

Can't wait to go back in the summer and do the loop including Torreys.

Friday, February 03, 2017

is it crowded in March we are going March 8th

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Grays/Torreys is a great way to knock off two 14ers at one time. This was part of my retirement trip that included AZ and UT. Terrific views but way too many people on a Saturday. Bad planning on my part. Next time I will do this mid-week. Even though it was August, it was really cold from 12K to the top. I'll add another layer next time. About half of the crowd turned around after summiting. The rest of us trudged over to Torreys (two 14ers for the price of one). If you are going to do this hike, I would suggest you get there very early if you want to park within miles of the trailhead. The road was very chopped up and high clearance vehicles are were required for the last two miles.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My favorite 14er combo so far.
Be aware getting to the trailhead means driving up 3 miles of pretty gnarly road that required a high clearance vehicle, unless you don't care about your undercarriage. I saw Subarus bottoming out about a mile up; my friend's XTerra made it up without incident and we gave a couple hikers a ride up too. There is plentiful camping at the trailhead for anyone who wants to go up a day early and miss the traffic on I-70 or get in a couple extra hours of shuteye.
The hike itself is lovely. The start wanders through a valley with streams, wildflowers, and greenery. The climb begins in earnest and snakes up endless switchbacks. You don't really see the top of Grays until you're actually there. It was hike, water, rest, hike, water, rest, oh wait here we are! The summit was crowded but there is plenty of room to sit, take photos, have a snack, and high-five other hikers. If you decide to continue on to Torreys Peak the trail easily descends a saddle and climbs in earnest to the Torreys summit. The trail is rocky but stable with plenty of handholds. The descent was easy and goes back through the beautiful meadows and stream beds. Beautiful day!

Monday, September 26, 2016

I loved the trail but it was a bit brutal weather wise at the top. September 2016

Friday, September 23, 2016

Wonderful trail for a 14er, and you get 2 for the price of 1! Grays peak is cool but Torrey's peak has better views I think. Overall outstanding hike. You can see for miles in every direction. The tallest peak by far for a long time.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Surrounded by beautiful views. Trail is rockey but meanders back and forth making it a nice hike.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This was my first 14er hike. We started at 6:45am and had a beautiful day. Amazing views the whole way!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

If you like Social events at the end of your hike, this is for you. There were close to 50 people at the peak when we got there. The trail is hard enough that you don't leap frog. However, there was a guy going number 2 at the peak as well. He asked us to kindly leave so he could finish. No Joke!!!! I just hope he packed it out...

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Took Grays trail to summit and hopped over to Torreys! My first 14ers! Took 7.5 hours to do both round trip. Packed snow on grays but no need for additional traction quite yet.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

snow pack above 13,000, but nothing
un-manageable

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Fantastic trail. Summited with my two boys (Ages 12 & 16). Start before sunrise and bring at least 3 liters of water per person. Incredible views! Save some energy to cross the saddle and then summit Torrey's!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Perfect first 14er for anyone. Get out there and than up Torreys in the same day! We camped out the night before, extremely busy before sunrise so get there early, we went on a Wednesday too.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Got to watch the sunrise from the top this morning, no better way to start the day!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Being from sea level, this was a tough hike, but we did it. Phone died so it was actually longer. It was so beautiful, you really have to earn the view. There was alot of people which made it fun. Truly they inspired me to finish. Im so glad I did. Not going to lie, at one point I almost folded. Posted my recording of the trail on Greys Peak on this app but i guess the one labeled as easy. We need to make one for grey and torrys peak.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Trailhead is not good for a car with sport suspension. There is loose rock when hiking between Torrey's on your way back down the trail. But a good hike to knock out a couple 14er.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

The trail is mostly in good shape and never too steep. When I went last week there was still a lot of snow on the trail and the weather was still pretty cold. A couple of sections were very sketchy due to snow depth. Trail was lost a lot of the time, had to post hole straight across snow fields occasionally. Would recommend it more in July to August. All in all, awesome! The view from the top makes it all worth it.