Grays Peak and Kelso Ridge Loop

Grays Peak and Kelso Ridge Loop is a 13.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

I did this trail anti-clockwise and I think if you are planning to hit the Kelso ridgeline this is the only way to do it.

I found the Kelso ridgeline fairly challenging, but definitely the most rewarding part of the hike. Pretty straight forward for the most part, there is a small wall about half way up, and a knife edge towards the top before you summit Torreys. Definitely a class 3 scramble.

The rest was pretty easy and great views from both peaks.

Very well trafficked trail. All uphill and the steepness starts around 5m. I did the route clockwise and made it to Grays peak moments before the clouds socked in the peak(just after 9am). As I continued to Torreys the clouds got thicker and sight went no further than 40-50 ft out. The trail up to Torreys rides the edge of the ridge to the peak. Once I was at Torreys peak the ridge that lead to Kelso was narrow and had extremely steep drop offs to both sides. With the lack of sight it made me a bit nervous so I took the shortcut back just below Grays and continued down the route I came up. It wasn't super crowded but there were a fair amount of groups out to conquer a 14er.