Grays Peak is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length7.3 miElevation gain3,005 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingRiverViewswild-flowersWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shadeHistoric site
Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

4x4 or high clearance recommended. The road up to the trailhead is very rocky.

Visible from the trail is an old mine on the south side of the river.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (293)
Photos (2,093)
Recordings (244)
Completed (2,848)
Ryan Gorsuch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2021
View Ryan's Recording
Edward Ramp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 28, 2020
View Edward's Recording
Sara K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 22, 2020
View Sara's Recording
Kate Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2020
Hiking

Such a great 14er! Pretty easy by CO standards, but absolutely has one of the best views in the state! The last mile is a trudge through rocks and scree, but the trail is incredibly well-marked and travelled, so it’s tough to go astray. We did this on 10/17 and the trail was pretty dry. Some snow and ice, but nothing you’d need spikes for. Wind was absolutely whipping at the top, bring an extra pair of gloves. We wanted to tack on Torrey’s - my legs and lungs could’ve handled it, but my frozen fingers said no way. As others have mentioned, the road up is a mess. It’s super rocky and bumpy, but it’s mostly hard-packed dirt. Saw some very hearty sedans at the trailhead, but I definitely preferred doing it in a high-clearance SUV.

Ernesto Costa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
HikingGreat!

Most people recommend a 4x4, I saw a Toyota Tercel up there. Drive safely. Hike is intense. The last 1.5 are the toughest. There I is no shelter. The top is super windy. Bring gloves, hat, wind-breaker. If your dog likes to hike, this is s good 14ner a pup.

Lisa Clink
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
Hiking

This is a great hike, very beautiful! Bring sunscreen and a wind jacket, there is no cover during this hike and can get a little windy at the top. Get to the trailhead EARLY, we got there at 8:10 and parked about .6 miles from the trail.

View Lisa's Recording
Taine Downs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

I knocked out grays as a way to bag another 14er but also as my dogs first 14er. There isn’t any snow and it was too windy today. Gloves would be nice on the summit. There is no shade on this trail to make sure you bring sunglasses and a balaclava for the wind. My dog practically ran up the mountain so it’s very dog friendly, and only took about 5 hours round trip with me stopping for water breaks for her constantly.

View Taine's Recording
Alan Jacquemotte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

By 14er standards it was pleasant.

View Alan's Recording
James Priester
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
Backpacking

Great hike a bit rocky on the switchbacks. Gotta keep an eye on your footing. Views at the top are spectacular!

View James's Recording
Ben Borgmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2020
Hiking

This trail was hard all the way up. Starts out with big steps right after bridge. We missed split in trail and took combo trail and were much more exposed to the 40 mph winds. Tough day. Beautiful views but the trail is steep all the way and loose rocks at every step. Took us 6 hours.

Michael Ellison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
HikingGreat!

Fantastic hike, great experience for my first 14er (and summit). Got to the trail at noon, people had already finished up which allowed for easy parking. Good trail conditions. Later season hiking and it was cold the top, wind was blistering and could only stay at the summit for maybe 10 minutes. Once you cross the bridge at the start there are no real streams or lakes to refill and filter water, carry what you need. Some big steps but no bouldering, hiked with a dog with no issues.

Philip Emmette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2020
HikingGreat!No shade

Very fun hike! Make sure to follow the sign where it splits to Grays/Torreys (somehow my group missed it), it will make your hike much easier. Great views!

Christopher Wisniewski
HikingGreat!No shadeRockyScramble

This was my first 14er if say I'm a beginner hiker and this was the most challenging hike I have done yet since moving out here. almost turned around but had some great encouragement from other hikers and my friends. so glad I pushed through to the top! well worth it. going into it I did not really expect it to be as hard as it was. road up was rough for sure. started at about 8:45am got back to car at 5pm. took alot of breaks my legs started really feeling it when we got to the steep switch backs. can't wait to try another one.

Yuri Esperson
View Yuri's Recording
Dean Buckner
Hiking

Went up on 9/26, great hike, only high clearance vehicles up the road. I got to parking lot at 6AM qnd already full but everyone just parked along the road. Very cold/ windy at the top. I obly did Grays, leacing Torreys for next time.

Kelly Mitchell
Hiking

My first ever 14er climb! Absolutely incredible!

View Kelly's Recording
Tori Correll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
HikingGreat!

About us: Mid-30s, physically active/fit. Our second 14'er - in some ways, this one is harder than Quandary Peak. Spouse and I wore trail running shoes. Our accompanying friends wore newer athletic shoes. We all did fine. We completed this hike on Saturday, 9/26. It was a beautiful, sunny day, but chilly and VERY windy. I recommend that you check the conditions before going this late in the season. When we were about 15 feet from the Summit, a gust of wind surprised us and knocked three of us down. In turn, people were crawling around more than walking around the Summit itself! Pack: Gloves Trekking poles/hiking staff Extra layer Beautiful hike!

Andrew Masterman
HikingGreat!Rocky

Hiked this one on 9/25. Got to the trailhead at about 6:30am and the parking lot was already almost entirely full. The trail itself was great! Great views from the top, although extremely windy that day. Overall, it was certainly on the light side of “difficult”. But BEWARE.. the road leading up to the trail is NOT made for anything but a truck or SUV, or anything with high clearance. I took my VW Golf up there (like an idiot) and I ended up bottoming out several times and busting my oil pan, so PLEASE make sure you use a high-clearance vehicle on this one.

Levi Wedel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2020
View Levi's Recording
Greg Staskiewicz
Backpacking
View Greg's Recording
Sara Frisk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

I thought it was a great hike! No doubt it was definitely more on the high level of moderate, lots of big boulder steps (for a short gal like me) and elevation gain is no joke. Expect to take stops or even take some oxygen if you are not used to the elevation or have breathing problems. Got to the parking lot at 06:15 and it was 75% full! Everyone on the trail was so nice and talkative! Saw three mountain goats. Made it to Grays Peak and will save Torreys for another day!

Sara Frisk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRocky