Grays and Torrey's Peak

Grays and Torrey's Peak is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,556 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A 4x4 vehicle is recommended with fair ground clearance.

Great hike with awesome views at both summits. I did grays first took about an hour and a half to summit, 45 minute traverse to Torreys and an hour and 40 minutes back to the bottom. The traverse to Torreys was pretty steep but mild compared to most 14ers. Very good trail and nice day. I started late at around 11 and was done around 330. Got lucky with the weather

Awesome trail! Went 09/14/19. Weather was perfect. Got to the parking area at 7 am am and parking was pretty full already. The parking lot was full and we had to park along the road. The trail is marked well and the views while you're hiking are great! The last push before the summit is challenging, but not too difficult.

Was an amazingly beautiful trail. Got there at 5:15 and already had to park pretty far down from the parking lot. The first 75% getting to Grays is not too bad but the switchbacks get difficult towards the top. Torreys was more of a straight shot and wasn’t as bad. Had a person who was visiting who tried to do this hike and had to turn around half way because it was too hard, so be aware of that. All around though I loved it! Looking forward to my next 14er.

Very nice day to hike. Lots of people up at 6am ready to go.

Not the hike to choose for solitude, but as I was alone and this was only my second-third 14er, I was glad to see people. Bring a ton of layers, electrolytes, water, and high energy and calorie food to help with elevation sickness. I came from the east and had no issue with the elevation, but I also hiked the Sierras this summer so I think that was why. Recommend leaving early, though I left right before sunrise as I didn’t want to night hike and I was fine. It was more enjoyable that way (to me). But I also had no storms and perfect weather. It took me about 5 hours (with a few breaks) to summit both Torrey’s and Grays. On the way down I did begin to feel sick so I took more breaks—and it took me about 2.5 hours. The road going up was no joke (as other reviewers have said). I had AWD and an SUV and it was still stressful. Overall, summiting felt amazing and the scenery was gorgeous. Recommend!

Easiest 14er’s you can do. Had friends that flew in from Chicago the night before and they were able to complete it. Seems like most of the people on this trail were out-of-towers. Fun, easy hike. The road up the trailhead is pretty gnarly though.

Fun

Excelling morning. Hiked both summits on 9/13/19 the lot at the trailhead was pretty packed, even on a Friday at 7:30 am. The wind on grays summit was brutal but once we got halfway through the saddle heading to Torrey’s the wind calmed down. The road up had some good potholes and ruts, but I saw a little VW Passat pull up to the trailhead... I’m assuming they bottomed out more than once.

Gray and Torreys Trail, 4.352m altitude, 1.094m elevation gain, 13,5 km in under 7 hours. We hit the trailhead at 6am and there was quite a bit of wind, but the landscape is unbelievable.

First 14er Started 5:20am

Getting to the trailhead was a blast in my 4x4! The hike was amazing. My first 14ers, great way to start the endevour

Just did Grays peak due to a storm that blew in around 9:30.

The road up to the trailhead is no joke! But we made it up and down in a Subaru Outback. There are a few campsites at the trailhead parking lot. We had planned to camp but slept in the car due to rain. Gorgeous views throughout the entire hike. This was our first 14er. Being from Ohio we put this hike at the end of our 4 day trip in hopes of acclimating properly, and it worked out perfectly, highly recommend!!

We arrived at the parking lot around 5:40am on a Monday (9/9/19), thankfully to only 4 other cars. The road to the trailhead is as others have described - do not attempt if you do not have a 4x4 vehicle! We started with Gray’s and almost skipped Torrey’s due to the strong winds. So thankful we decided to push through, as the views were spectacular! We ended up hiking across the windy saddle to Torrey’s and then came back down to where the trail spilts (sign pointing left for Gray’s and right for Torrey’s), rather than taking Kelso’s Pass down. The weather was perfect, and fellow hikers were kind and courteous. There were mountain goats way in the distance on Mount Kelso, which was pretty cool to see. Completed the entire trail in just under 8 hours, taking our time with breaks for snacks and pictures. This is no easy feat! Do you research before embarking on this trail and make sure you have proper wind gear, shoes, food and water.

windy but awesome

Get there Eaaaaay the parking lot was Full we had to park 2 miles before the trail ahead ( starting point). Off road for about 2 miles 4x4 car is a must *** Be prepared ... gloves, jacket, you name it ... it was so windy when we got to the submit.

perfect for a beginning 14er! parking is the only problem- make sure you get there early & have 4 wheel drive!