Grays and Torrey's Peak

Grays and Torrey's Peak is a 7.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A 4x4 vehicle is recommended with fair ground clearance.

Good climb with camping at the base of the mountain.

Love this hike. "Easy" 14er, but great views.

This was my wife and my first 14er. Our friends carried their 2 year old and 4 year old with them. It took us forever but we had a blast. Didn’t make it to Torrey’s.

Road to the trailhead is 4 wheel drive only when we were there. Much of it is passable with a car but there are a few parts that a low clearance vehicle will definitely not make it across. This probably changes with rain and snow but definitely worth mentioning to be ready to hike the road or have a high clearance vehicle.

This was my first 14er. I chose this for my birthday and did it 10/19/18. I did not complete it because I underestimated the snow and attempted it 24 hours after leaving an elevation of 10 feet above sea level. I made it to 13,523 in about 6 hours and back down in 3 hours. I had to turn around because I was going alone and I left a deadline with friends and needed to make it back before they sent a search party. I will do this again in June after acclimating for a few days.

I had 4wd so I got to drive to the trailhead at 5:30am. I met 3 young men walking up the road and gave them a ride and learned they had just flown in from Miami a few hours earlier. We all struck out at 6am but they turned back after realizing they were too tired and in no shape to hike. I learned it is really cold at 6am there, I still have fingertips that tingle.

I learned a lot and can't wait to do this again when I am a little more prepared. The mountains were beautiful covered in snow but man that snow sucked to walk in. I questioned myself all the way down then decided I was coming back to conquer the mountain as soon as I could.

One of the better beginner 14ers there are. Plan accordingly for the weather.

One of our favorite 14er hikes thus far and absolutely our favorite Peak link-up! A few key points:
1. Make sure you have All-Wheel drive. The road leading up to the trail head is extremely rocky and unsafe for non-sport vehicles.
2. The trail gets fairly gravely and sandy towards the top of both peaks - so you need hiking boots if you don't want to be sliding everywhere on the descent.
3. Weather rolls in very quickly on all 14er peaks - so start your hike EARLY (8am at the absolute latest) and pack layers/gear to prepare for all weather conditions - high winds, rain, hail and snow.

10/20/18 Amazing Hike!! Views are insaneeeeee. Make sure you have a 4x4 and not an all wheel drive...BIG DIFFERENCE... We had to pull a mini out of a ditch on the road up to the trail head. Because of that we decide to park at the base which will add an additional 6 miles round trip to your hike. So plan for hitting a half marathon along with your 14er if thats the case. Our total mileage ended up being 13.7 miles. Because of the additional mileage and the time spent pulling the mini out of the ditch we were only able to hit Grays. Also if you want a more enjoyable hike make sure you bring krampons and walking poles. Krampons at a minimum. It was ice and snow for the entire duration of the hike.

We hiked Grays on 20OCT2018. First off, if you plan on hiking this trail later October 1st, make sure you drive a 4WD capable vehicle to make it to the parking lot unless you want to add 5+ miles to your hike.
Plenty of snow along the trail. We hiked it without spikes or poles and that caught up to us on the way down. Other than the snow, which was the biggest issue, the hike was gorgeous! Met a couple of friendly folks throughout the trail. Even picked up three on the road up. My girlfriend was 5 months pregnant and we did our gender reveal at the top. Great time going up, miserable going down. Beautiful views!!!!

Definitely a tough one with the snow! Make sure to have snow pants and waterproof boots through it. At some points you’ll be hiking through knee deep snow. The top is well worth it if you’re determined enough to get through!

I like this trail so much that I hiked it twice in one week. The views are stunning. Shared the trail at 13,000 ft. with a mountain goat

Great day for a hike! Started later than normal- around 8:30. Parked on the road about 1/4 mile out from TH. Took ~2:15 to summit grays, ~45 to get to Torrey’s, and ~2 to get down. 5.5hrs total with 15min breaks at each summit. My GPS watch was closer to 8.5miles total. Gusty winds at times but I was prepared with layers. Trail wasn’t too busy and lots of friendly hikers. Definitely recommend a car with good clearance to get to TH- AWD. People were offering rides to those who parked further down the road or bottom.

This was my first 14er (and 2nd) so I was a tad nervous about the weather and altitude (being from Chicago where a 10 ft hill is a mountain!) but they were great! The winds did not start until you hit the switchbacks on Gray (wide open) and then ALL the way up the ascent on Torreys (25+ MPH is what I would venture to guess where I almost lost my phone numerous times "documenting" the hike). I was able to make it through with shorts, t-shirt base layer and a flannel, although, I put gloves on 3/4 up Gray and a hat for all of Torreys.

As mentioned, starts out slow, little steep, but nothing compared to what comes as you come around and see the "ants" walking up and down the mountain. It is good to be able to see the trail in the mountain and the goal always being in site. Was not very scenic for flowers and wildlife, the Aspens are still golden, but the views are SPECTACULAR!!! Could not believe how clear it was and the 360 panorama view.

I hit the Trail Head about 645am and had to park on the street. By the time I arrived back, 1030am, it was full with another 30-40+ cars! It took me under 4 hours to solo summit both but I may say that I was going at a brisk pace (did not feel that way) and I still took about 10 breaks for food, water and, of course, PHOTOS.

Beautiful trail with scenic views the entire way up and the entire way down. We started at 730 and ended around 330 for both 14ers (including many breaks). The first portion of the hike is a slight inclined walk through the valley where you can see chipmunks, bunnies, and marmot. Then you reach a more rocky area where the incline increases through many rounds of switch backs up to Gray’s peak. To get to Torrey’s, you walk down the back side of Gray’s for maybe 30 minutes before hitting a relatively straight, rocky incline to Torrey’s peak. This section of the hike is definitely the most difficult, but you can clearly see the end goal making it a great challenge with a rewarding ending. At the top of Torrey’s you can see 4 ski resorts, Pike’s Peak, Mt. Evans, and Mt. Bierstadt. Truly a great weekend hike that is 100% worth doing. Worst comes to worst, you do Gray’s and call it a day! Remember to bring plenty of water, food, and also something to make a sign with (i.e. cardboard) to commemorate the feat. Happy hiking!

Great hike. Very doable. The wind felt stronger than the 20mp forecast and really cold. beautifl blue sky sunny day though. By the time we summitted Grays my fingers really hurt and wouldn't work despite wearing gloves the whole time and I couldn't stop shivering. We started to go toward Torreys as I really wanted to do both while I was there, but it was so miserable with the wind whipping so I'll have to go back do Torrey's another time. It was spectacular views and great people on the trail. Just the right amount of company. I also lost my down puffer. It was stuffed in my friends outer pocket. looks like a black pillow on the side of the trail. lmk if you come across it. Thanks!

Great trail for the fall! Hiked to both summits with 2 other 30-year old girl friends. We stopped for maybe a total of 1 1/2 hours to eat lunch, drink a beer, relax, and it took just under 8 including that. We live in the high Rockies, but the altitude way at the top still made it difficult to breathe. Towards the very top of each it's really steep but definitely doable.

All in all a great hike! We started at 5:45 am on a Friday and about 5 vehicles at the trailhead. It was a brisk 35 degrees at start and 20 mph winds around 12,000 ft and up to both summits . Around noon it warmed up just in time for our decent. The highs were in the low 50s but felt warmer. Took us about 8 hours to complete both Grays and Torreys. My friend and I are in our 50’s but both in decent physical shape and we conditioned ourselves for about a month with several high altitude hikes before we tackled this one! This hike was difficult breathing once we got up to 13,000 ft and I did have slight altitude sickness. My recommendation would be to replenish fluids with plenty electrolytes and make sure your munching something throughout even if your body doesn’t feel the urge. We met up with mostly young hikers (20,s and 30’s). Thought the trail would never end coming down . Recommend using poles as some of the mountain had steps as high or higher than my knee height (I’m 5’4”) All in all an awesome day!

I read the reviews mentioning needing an AWD or 4WD vehicle to get to the trailhead, while I saw some sedans up there, I wouldn't recommend it. We camped the night before (because we read about the parking situation) and started at 4:30am. Summited Grays around 7 and Torreys around 8. Made it back to the tent by 10am. Easy hike, beautiful views. Definitely recommend!

Great hike. Very fun and beatiful for my first 14er!

Prius made it to the upper parking lot with careful driving. Lot was full by about 630am. Hike was nice. Trail is well kept. Did both peaks, took about 7.5hrs with a doggo.

Great trail for our 2nd and 3rd 14er!! Definitely need an awd vehicle for the Rd to the trailhead!! Very big rocks, took us 15mins to go the 3 or so miles. We arrived at 430am on a Wednesday and were the 3rd car in the parking lot. Trails were very well marked and gorgeous views the entire time! We tagged Grays then Torrey's, some steep grades, but not technical. Highly recommend!!

The road to the trailhead was a brutal hike, but we got lucky and hitched a ride part of the way from I70. We aren’t “newbies” by any means but we don’t get to hike often, so this was a rough trail for us. We made it about 13,000 feet before turning around, but even at this point the views are amazing. It was a great hike, and moderately busy for a Monday morning.

Great day. Near empty lot at 5AM. Accompanied my wife on her first 14er to Grays. I continued on to T’s with a friend. Back in the condo with a drink by 1:00!! Beautiful hike.

Definitely need awd vehicle! For my first 14er, this hike was great! Did both grays and Torrey’s, started around 7:30 and was down by 2:30. Hiked closer to 11 miles including the hike from the car to the trailhead.

Started at 5:30 on a late summer Sunday and there were already 70-80 people on the trail. Parking lot was completely full - seems like it’s legal to car camp and possibly even camp on the trail, or nearby?

The road up there is insane: 3 miles of legitimate off roading; I almost destroyed my hatchback. At the road’s last mile is a particularly insane dip which only SUVs and trucks managed to clear. You will feel terrible about what this road will do to your car.

I did Gray and then Torrey and my Garmin said 9 miles, but you will have to hike more if you park far back. Took me 4.5 hours including 15 minutes resting at the top of Torrey.

By the time I headed down there were HUNDREDS of people on the trail. If you can do this one on a weekday I’d recommend it.

Absolutely beautiful! Beautiful people, beautiful scenery and beautiful goats! Very awesome day!
It was chilly before the sun came out but was very nice once it did. Take your time and enjoy it!

What a view!

We hiked Gray's and Torreys and as someone that has done several other 14ers, these guys were harder than expected! I think adding Torreys was the real kicker. Its a steady but slight climb through the valley with a few flat parts and then an uphill slog to the top of Gray's for the last 1-2 miles. Gray's has a beautiful view and we saw tons of mountain goats (with their babies!). We didn't get to rest much on Gray's since we were doing Torreys. Torreys actually seemed like the easier hike even though it was a class two. Do Gray's first then Torreys! For us, the downhill was worse than the uphill just because it seems to go forever. BE WARNED the hike was closer to 9 miles than the listed 7.7 and will be farther if the parking lot is full (we ended up hiking 11 miles in 9 hours). All in all, a beautiful and easily accessible hike, but beginners should perhaps stick to one mountain unless they're really feeling it. (fyi, as others have said 4wd is probably needed for the road)

Would definitely recommend awd vehicle, my 2017 Passat could not make it, so I had to park mid way. It’s a descent 14er with really good views. Hiking poles would help

Great hike on a beautiful day! Arrived at 7:30 a.m. and was back at the trailhead at 12:45 (5:15 hours). App said 8.1 miles. FYI - I only did Grays. Tired and had to be back in Denver by 4:00. Ditto regarding the access road - it's VERY hairy. I came upon what looked like an impassable section of the road and decided to park 1 mile away. Then I saw another SUV carefully navigate it and decided to go for it (I have an AWD Hyundai Santa Fe). Made it successfully to the trail head and was able to park on the road 100 feet away. The last hour was somewhat brutal, but well worth it. About the same difficulty level as Bierstadt and Democrat. Incredible views - including looking down on the Breckenridge ski slopes from a distance. Some not-so-smart people on the trail - blasting music (no headphones), no warm weather gear (it felt like 25 degrees at the top), and behind a guy who was navigating the trail on the way down with his hands in his pockets - obviously freezing, but if he stumbled he would face plant. Don't be "that guy" :-).

Amazing hike! Hike up to grays was relatively easy for a 14er, up to Torrey’s was more steep but definitely shorter. So worth it!!!!