Grays and Torrey's Peak

Grays and Torrey's Peak is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A 4x4 vehicle is recommended with fair ground clearance.

Great trail for our 2nd and 3rd 14er!! Definitely need an awd vehicle for the Rd to the trailhead!! Very big rocks, took us 15mins to go the 3 or so miles. We arrived at 430am on a Wednesday and were the 3rd car in the parking lot. Trails were very well marked and gorgeous views the entire time! We tagged Grays then Torrey's, some steep grades, but not technical. Highly recommend!!

The road to the trailhead was a brutal hike, but we got lucky and hitched a ride part of the way from I70. We aren’t “newbies” by any means but we don’t get to hike often, so this was a rough trail for us. We made it about 13,000 feet before turning around, but even at this point the views are amazing. It was a great hike, and moderately busy for a Monday morning.

Great day. Near empty lot at 5AM. Accompanied my wife on her first 14er to Grays. I continued on to T’s with a friend. Back in the condo with a drink by 1:00!! Beautiful hike.

Definitely need awd vehicle! For my first 14er, this hike was great! Did both grays and Torrey’s, started around 7:30 and was down by 2:30. Hiked closer to 11 miles including the hike from the car to the trailhead.

Started at 5:30 on a late summer Sunday and there were already 70-80 people on the trail. Parking lot was completely full - seems like it’s legal to car camp and possibly even camp on the trail, or nearby?

The road up there is insane: 3 miles of legitimate off roading; I almost destroyed my hatchback. At the road’s last mile is a particularly insane dip which only SUVs and trucks managed to clear. You will feel terrible about what this road will do to your car.

I did Gray and then Torrey and my Garmin said 9 miles, but you will have to hike more if you park far back. Took me 4.5 hours including 15 minutes resting at the top of Torrey.

By the time I headed down there were HUNDREDS of people on the trail. If you can do this one on a weekday I’d recommend it.

Absolutely beautiful! Beautiful people, beautiful scenery and beautiful goats! Very awesome day!
It was chilly before the sun came out but was very nice once it did. Take your time and enjoy it!

What a view!

We hiked Gray's and Torreys and as someone that has done several other 14ers, these guys were harder than expected! I think adding Torreys was the real kicker. Its a steady but slight climb through the valley with a few flat parts and then an uphill slog to the top of Gray's for the last 1-2 miles. Gray's has a beautiful view and we saw tons of mountain goats (with their babies!). We didn't get to rest much on Gray's since we were doing Torreys. Torreys actually seemed like the easier hike even though it was a class two. Do Gray's first then Torreys! For us, the downhill was worse than the uphill just because it seems to go forever. BE WARNED the hike was closer to 9 miles than the listed 7.7 and will be farther if the parking lot is full (we ended up hiking 11 miles in 9 hours). All in all, a beautiful and easily accessible hike, but beginners should perhaps stick to one mountain unless they're really feeling it. (fyi, as others have said 4wd is probably needed for the road)

Would definitely recommend awd vehicle, my 2017 Passat could not make it, so I had to park mid way. It’s a descent 14er with really good views. Hiking poles would help

Great hike on a beautiful day! Arrived at 7:30 a.m. and was back at the trailhead at 12:45 (5:15 hours). App said 8.1 miles. FYI - I only did Grays. Tired and had to be back in Denver by 4:00. Ditto regarding the access road - it's VERY hairy. I came upon what looked like an impassable section of the road and decided to park 1 mile away. Then I saw another SUV carefully navigate it and decided to go for it (I have an AWD Hyundai Santa Fe). Made it successfully to the trail head and was able to park on the road 100 feet away. The last hour was somewhat brutal, but well worth it. About the same difficulty level as Bierstadt and Democrat. Incredible views - including looking down on the Breckenridge ski slopes from a distance. Some not-so-smart people on the trail - blasting music (no headphones), no warm weather gear (it felt like 25 degrees at the top), and behind a guy who was navigating the trail on the way down with his hands in his pockets - obviously freezing, but if he stumbled he would face plant. Don't be "that guy" :-).

Amazing hike! Hike up to grays was relatively easy for a 14er, up to Torrey’s was more steep but definitely shorter. So worth it!!!!

We hiked Grays on 9/2/18. This was my first 14er. We stayed in the foothills a couple days before (we live in KS) and drove out that morning and arrived at the bottom of Gluch Rd at 0500. We knew my car wouldn't make it up the road, so we hiked up. From what I could figure out, the road is 3 miles long with a 1,420 foot gain (for those who are curious). We made it to the top of Grays at 1030. We were tempted to try Torreys, but it was getting close to turn around time and our legs were wrecked from the hike up the road. Amazing view at the top. It snowed just a sprinkle on the way down. Shout out to the kind family we passed on the trail who later offered us a ride down the road to our car. I'll definitely be back to do Grays AND Torreys.

Hike offers great views throughout, especially once you summit you can see for what seems forever. The day we hiked there were 40 mph sustained winds which made for a tougher hike to summit both peaks. Wind was especially strong in the saddle between the peaks. Very few did Torrey’s due to the high winds. We had a fun raucous crowd celebrating their first 14er on Gray’s which made for a fun time on top. The road to the trailhead is in very poor condition. Not recommended for vehicles other than 4 wheel drive with very good clearance.

Great experience, completed this on my 44th birthday after less than 36 hours acclimating as a Midwesterner. Next 14er I will acclimate for at least 3 days before attempting. Very doable - pack light, stay hydrated, use sun screen.

4:45a on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and got the 2nd to last spot in the parking lot. Great time to go, felt like I had the whole place to myself. Passed a dozen others on the trail, and both summits were clear by the time I scrambled up.

The way back down? Holy conga line...

Easy hiking to Grays. Final pitch up Torreys is steeper. A pleasant loop overall.

Regarding the road, it’s rough, but if the road to the South Colony Lakes 4x4 lot is a 5 this road is a 1. Really not that bad as far as these things go.

I must have lucked out today, not too crowded and perfect weather. Arrived around 6a and parked in the parking lot.

As with most peaks the views were stunning. While there is nothing "easy" about hiking high peaks, this is definately easier than other peaks (13 and 14ers) I have hiked.

First off, I was proud of my Travy (Traverse) for getting me up there, I didn't know what to expect reading all the road reports on here. The road is pretty bad but if taken slowly, there shouldn't be any issues. There were two spots that were certainly hairy, impassable with a standard car I would think. As for the hike, I found the challenge of taking on both quite entertaining, standing on one and looking at the other and thinking, "why not". I veered right at the fork, heading for Torrey's first cause I sware I read that if one were to do a loop, coming down the Torrey's side was more difficult than the switchbacks of Grays, although shorter. I could see that being somewhat true, I'll give it a try next time! The views from either are spectacular as one can imagine, it seemed the clearest day since CO has been impacted by wildfire smoke. If so inclined, one could pick out probably a half dozen of so other 14's, I could only pick out Bierstadt & Evans to the east, and it was cool to spot Breckenridge to the west-ish. The icing on this 14er cake was the fortunate encounter with a friendly mountain goat, it's quite spectacular seeing them in their native environment and not in the zoo! Will be returning next year I'm sure.

Took off on a Friday morning 6:30am (8/24/18) via the main route up grays peak. We chose to stay left going up Grays peak because there appeared a lot of people in the saddle between Grays and Torreys peaks. An easy hike for about the first 3/4 of the trip but then becomes quite steep and truly breath taking in views and altitude. We stopped on Grays peak for about 30 minutes then headed through the saddle to summit Torreys. Looking at Torreys from Grays looks quite daunting but we couldn’t resist summiting Torreys being that close. After spending another 30 minutes at the summit of Torreys we decide going down Kelso ridge would be fun. A bit sketchy going down and I would suggest going up if you want to see the great views from Kelso ridge. Finishing the hike about 1:30. Overall a beautiful hike and great spot for my first 14ers!

Nice day. Love the view

Great trek! My husband and I started early (4am) and had plenty of company on a Saturday morning. We came from sea level and struggled with catching our breath on the way up, but it was completely doable. About 7.5 hours total, including a 30 min break at the top, a maybe 15 min break midway up when my husband was trying to find a good “pee spot” and several mini breaks to catch our breath. Trying to come down was challenging near the top because of some crowds but it wasn’t terrible.

Moderately strenuous hike with beautiful views of the surrounding peaks and basins, and with clear skies, we had an unimpeded view all the way to Longs Peak! The trail was VERY crowded, but everyone was friendly and helpful and there were SO many dogs to make the hike even more fun!

The G&T combo were my 3rd/4th 14ers and compared to my first two, they are definitely easier. The trail is a reasonable distance to do in a single day, it’s well marked and very well maintained, and if you take your time to your fitness level, it’s a good balance of gradual uphills and steep ascent.

Stats: Aug 25, 2018. We started at 8AM and summited Grays first at 11:00AM. 15-20 min rest, pics, and snacks at the summit, then 35 min across the saddle to summit Torrey’s. Started back down at 12:30 and reached the parking lot around 2:30. All in all about 5h30m to hike 8.5 miles.

Context: I’m a regular runner, hiker, but also a recent transplant from sea level. Breathing is still tough as soon as the uphills start, so on the steeps, I take micro-breaks every 100-300 feet or so.

The road IS rough...I drove up in 4WD high and down in 4WD low in an SUV with good clearance and it was bumpy but fine. But I was also passed by a Prius that made it just fine until one impassable dip about 0.8 miles from the trailhead.

Amazing views from the summit.

Did this hike yesterday, would def recommend camping the night before. We parked our 2wd car at the bottom & were planning on hiking in the 3 miles. Lucky enough to hitch a ride both up and back! Started our hike sat am at 4:45, the sunrise was beautiful. Awesome hike with insane views. once you’re at the top of grays, so worth it to make it over to Torreys!

Great hike, great views. I would rate the hike as difficult considering the conditions. Supposed to be clear skies, but we were caught in a bit of a blizzard on the way to the top of Grays Peak. The road on the way up needs a lot of work. Don’t attempt this without AWD and a higher clearance. Tough drive in our AWD Honda CR-V. Well worth the trip!

Hiked it for the second time and was still amazed at the views as you ascend the summit in the last hour.
There are FOUR glacial stream valleys that surround the peak. You hike thru the first one by Mount Kelso coming from the trail head. You see the other three when you get to the top, which is the continental divide and has a different atmosphere, which is usually 20 degrees cooler.
I love everything about this hike. Will go back in May 2019 for sure.

Climbed Gray’s Peak today and didn’t continue on because the clouds rolled in. It was a tough hike but very clear trail.

The road to the trailhead is definitely crazy - our 4x4 Pathfinder took it like a champ! But, you definitely need a 4x4 vehicle to get through.
We pulled into the lot at 5am on Wednesday and there were only a few cars at the top parking lot.

This was my first 14er and it was the hardest hike I’ve ever done in my life! Definitely worth it! We had our 7 year old with us... and it was pretty difficult for him. We all summited Grays and enjoyed the breathtaking views. We didn’t summit Torrey’s. One was enough for us.
We took a lot of breaks with our son - it took us about 6/7 hours to reach the summit. We made it back down to the parking lot in about 2 hours.

What an amazing hike! It’s a tough one for sure. The road is definitely scary, but we took it pretty slow. My Jeep Patriot did great. Got to the TH at 530am on a Wednesday morning still spots in the parking lot, not too busy on the trail, was perfect. Took 8 hours with a lot of breaks. Did Grays and Torreys, worth every second!

I arrived on a Monday evening around 6:30pm - there were 2 other cars by the trailhead, by 10pm the parking lot was about half full and when I headed out at 6:30am the next morning the lot only had a few spots left but there was still another 8-10 spots on the side of the road by the beginning of the trail. There are a few sporadically positioned camping spots by the trailhead with firepits - I counted 5 but there may be more. I highly recommend arriving the night before and sleeping in your car or camping as it takes the stress out of wondering whether there will be a place to park once you finally get up the dirt road. Plus you get to see some amazing stars and get to start your climb at whatever time you choose.

The road is as described by many others - rough. I have a 4x4 Jeep and found it tricky in places and slow going 5-10mph for most of the ride to avoid damaging my vehicle. I did see a Prius and several low clearance 2 wheels up at the trailhead which I would not advise unless you're in a rental or just don't care about wrecking your car (or inconveniencing others if you get stuck).

The hike is fun but challenging. I'm in my early 40s - active, above average fitness and live in Denver so not coming directly from sea-level and found it tough above 13k. There's a lot of rock and scree. The views are worth it. I did Torey's first by veering right where the trail splits and then Gray's - which seemed to be against most of the traffic so I'm glad I did. Overall it was busy (especially for a Tuesday morning) but not to the point where that affected the pace of my climb or my enjoyment of it - just plenty of people to say hello to.

Time wise I got up to the top of Torey's in 2-1/2 hours, it then takes about 45 mins to go down, traverse and summit Gray's. I took my time at the top of Gray's and came down fairly casually. I was back down at my vehicle in 5 hours 40 mins (8.6 miles, 3,107ft of elevation gain).

The weather was great - clear all morning. It was chilly at the top of Torey's so I was glad for a nano-puff and pair of lightweight gloves.

It's a fun, challenging hike - that will take your breath away in more ways than one.

To reiterate others' comments, the road is an absolute mess -- without a SUV, pickup, or Jeep, there's no way you'll be able to drive to the upper (summer) trailhead. We managed to get about half a mile in a Honda Civic before parking on the shoulder and walking the rest of the way (~2.5 miles). By 7:00 AM on a Sunday, the parking lot was completely full. Don't expect much solitude, especially on the weekend - at least a few hundred people summitted the same day we did.

All that said, the hike itself was a lot of fun, though certainly difficult even after a few days of acclimation at RMNP. I'd recommend doing Grays first, going down the saddle, and then heading up to Torreys. Grays is all steep switchbacks; from the saddle, Torreys is a short but very steep climb. We thought the views were slightly better from Grays. Despite being rained on, hailed on, and briefly snowed on (yes, in August), the trails themselves weren't difficult to follow. Definitely a good experience for our first 14ers!