Learn more

Grays and Torrey's Peak is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.7 mi Elevation gain 3,684 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Running Forest River Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Scramble Snow
Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

A 4x4 vehicle is recommended with fair ground clearance to get through the rocks, dirt, and ice on the way to the trail head. The hike is spectacular. It is recommended that you bring warm weather clothes and trekking poles.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (2506)
Photos (3453)
Recordings (2116)
Completed (5427)
Hillary Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
Hiking

The road leading to the trailhead is closed as of the morning of Oct 24, 2020. We were going to hike the 3 miles to the trailhead but the sign says the national forest is closed to *all* activity until further notice (perhaps due to the fires? weather?). Either way, a bit of a disappointment but hopefully this post will save others from making the drive out today!

Large Marge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 22, 2020

The previous posts complaining about the road are legit. I drove up it in a Chevy Equinox, and while we were able to make it, I would 100% reconsider if there was heavy rain the day before. Very bouldery. Lots of ruts. Go slow. You may see goats hanging out on Kelso mtn, so take a gander up and to the right as you walk through the first section. If you are a registered member of the lollipop guild, you may find it slower going over some of the high steps that lead up to the talus/boulder field. There was some ice and snow on the switchbacks up top, but nothing that would warrant crampons/microspikes imo. BRING A WIND LAYER. It gets very cold and windy the higher you get, so make sure to bring something to cut the wind (for you and your furry friends). Got to grays in 3hrs, and then took 45 mins to traverse over to Torreys. Total hike took 5hrs35mins, not counting the time stopped for eating lunch and petting pooches. If I get the chance to hike these peaks again, I would consider scrambling up Kelso and taking the knife's edge to Torreys, then doing Grays. It might cut down on time and would add some butt-puckery fun.

Leighton Macalister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2020
Hiking

I was the first one in the parking lot at 5:45. Hit the trail by 6 and walked in the dark for about an hour. It was no problem though because the trail is well maintained! Took my time and did both peaks in 7 hours. It was pretty windy and cold at the tops but I came prepared. A wonderful day out in Colorado.

View Leighton's Recording
John C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great time to do this hike. Summer conditions without the crowd. Pretty much no snow at all. Despite being a Sunday, I saw only a handful of groups. Started the hike at 7am, parking lot was about half full at that point. Got to the summit of Grays at 9am and only saw one group. Summited Torrey's at 9:40 and was by myself for about 15 minute. The views were definitely nice, but I have to say they weren’t some best views I’ve seen froM 14ers. Still worth 5 stars

Don Dodge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2020
HikingRocky

10/18/2020 Solid morning - stepped off at 0650 with sun barely peeking it's way out. Blustery as all get up - trail is very well maintained until about the 2.5 mile mark at which point you'll need to follow the cairns (super easy). If looking to shorten distance of hike take a right at the fork directly to the saddle via the old gated mine. Expect chilly temps but scenic views. Wildlife abounds and coyotes may be present so may be wise to have a battle buddy if starting before sunrise.

Dudley yeoman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
View Dudley's Recording
Alex Stadler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 16, 2020
Hiking

Let's start with the road: We got up it in a 2001 Lexus RX300. Slow going, but the road is better than the Decalibron's. The biggest thing is that it's pretty steep the whole the miles basically. Arrived at 4am, and there were two other cars in the parking lot. The wind was fierce around 13k feet, and got even worse over 14k. Luckily, it's not our first rodeo, so we had several wind-fighting layers, but we ended up only summiting Grays. My suggestion, let the sun get up a bit before getting too far up. Otherwise, going down the weather was pretty great, and the views were top notch.

View Alex's Recording
Nick Shammas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2020
HikingGreat!

Got up the road in a Corolla with no issues. I’m sure you can do it too.

Max Utsler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2020
HikingIcyRockySnow

First off, the road to the trailhead is 100% as bad as everyone says it is. Comparable to the road leading to Democrat and Sherman, this is worse. I made it in a Nissan Rogue, though it still took me 30 minutes to go 3 miles. You 100% need AWD/4WD for it. Second - the trail is marked really well. Even in the snow lol. Got there this morning around 545, only two other cars. There was snowfall on Sunday, and I decided to try anyway. The first mile of the trail isn’t bad- only 2-3 inches. Doable in only hiking boots. Ultimately though, I made the decision to turn around at the mile mark because I was postholing in 2 foot snow drifts. Poles/spikes/snowshoes definitely needed. Hopefully some of it will melt in the coming days since there’s no precipitation forecasted!

Nick Hogg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

The drive up to the trailhead is so sketchy, so have a 4wheel drive car with good clearance. On Saturday 10/10 the trail was super popular as expected, but not overwhelmingly so. There are stunning views at the top and it’s a great first 14er hike!!

Adam Hopkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
View Adam's Recording
jason mcentire
Hiking

Peaked Grays and Torreys on Saturday. Perfect weather. Lots of people out on the trail. Road is very bumpy and rocky to trailhead.

View jason's Recording
jonah Humel
HikingGreat!

As others have said the road up to the trailhead is pretty rough. A small SUV going slow should have no issues. I did see one sedan at the top so it’s definitely possible to get to the trailhead in a low clearance vehicle but I wouldn’t recommend it. I summited both peaks heading clockwise in about 4.5 hours. Great views from the tops of both peaks. I would highly recommend! There was no snow covering the trail on Oct. 10th and smoke was a non issue.

Brooks Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2020
Hiking

First off, the gravel road up is the WORST EVER! We made it fine in our AWD Pilot but I would not take the chance in a 2WD car for sure. Large rocks and potholes. We only planned to do Gray’s, good Trail, just make sure to hang a left at the Y to go to Grays and not Torrey’s, got to the top of Gray’s (which was very windy and cold), and Torrey’s peak was just right there so we went down side of Gray’s and up Torrey’s. So glad we did, Torrey’s was the best view yet. That only added 2 miles and about 1 hr but well worth it. Great 2 for 1 trip. We were very exhausted though. Only our 2nd & 3rd 14er. Started at 7am, took about 6hrs total travel time for both.

View Brooks's Recording
Eric Butler
Hiking

Still pretty busy on a Friday in mid-October, but not annoyingly so. Interesting comments below regarding access - I wouldn't drive my minivan up there.

Vlad Karchevsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 8, 2020
View Vlad's Recording
Zach Hammer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 8, 2020
Hiking

Fun hike! Started around 8 and hit the first summit after about an hour and a half, Took 10 and then took 30 minutes to make it to the top of Grace before a one hour long descent. Fun hike and good weather. The road getting up was a little shaky in a couple spots but my Toyota sienna had no problem getting through

View Zach's Recording
William david Leonard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2020

No wind!

Joshua Greenburg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
View Joshua's Recording
Kyle Houseworth
HikingGreat!No shade

Hiked on 10/03. The drive to the trailhead wasn't any better or worse than most 14er approaches. No snow on the trail and the trail was very visible the entire way so route finding isn't an issue. I started at 12:30pm, made it to the Grays/Torreys fork at 1:50, summited Grays at 2:32, summited Torreys at 3:17, made it back down to the Grays/Torreys fork at 3:51, and made it back to the trailhead at 5pm. Round trip was exactly 4.5 hrs. The approach to Grays summit will make you work but it's not terrible and the approach to Torreys summit has a lot of loose pebbles instead of dirt so you can slip a little bit, but overall it's a solid hike. I see why a lot of people enjoy making this their first and second 14ers.

Ashley Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2020
Hiking

Grays was a beast, Torreys was much more manageable. Much less crowded than Bierstadt, which was great. Cold but well maintained trails, no ice on the trail as of 10/3.

View Ashley's Recording
Ellen Hurley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Beautiful beautiful views! The road up is rocky but you don’t need 4wd to make it up I left my suv in 2wd, but you do need higher clearance then most sedans can offer. It is very cold and windy up top especially if you start early. I would suggest layers and hot hands in the gloves to use poles up top without freezing. Got there at 630 Friday morning and there were still parking spots in the lot. Great hike!

Nate Phillips
HikingGreat!

Hiked on 10/3/20. This was my first and second completed 14er and I couldn’t have been more impressed! First of all, the dirt road going to the upper parking lot was pretty rough, and even though it can be done, I would not recommend trying it with anything lower than a crossover SUV (even though the mountain goat I passed seemed to have no problem). I started my hike at 3:25am and was blessed with clear skies and a full moon. The trail was well maintained and was clear of ice and snow. The views from the entire route were simply incredible! I reached the summit of Grays Peak at about 6:40am and it was very windy, so I stayed long enough to see the sunrise and then headed over to Torreys. The hike along the saddle ridge took about an hour and the ascent up to Torreys Peak was short but impressive. In my opinion, the summit of Torreys offered slightly better views than Grays but they were both amazing. The overall round trip hike took me seven hours, and for me personally I would classify it as very strenuous. I would definitely do this hike again.

Tiffany Summa
Hiking

Road is a bit rough, but my Subaru made it fine. There is a bathroom at the trailhead which is a huge plus. Route itself is well marked and the hike was great!

View Tiffany's Recording
Rachel Commens
Hiking

Great conditions, took about 6 hours with short stops at both peaks. Definitely a tough but great hike!

View Rachel's Recording