Grays and Torrey's Peak

Grays and Torrey's Peak is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,556 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A 4x4 vehicle is recommended with fair ground clearance.

Trail has snow on it from parking lot at 70 all the way to the top. I hiked from the I70 parking lot due to the inaccessibility of Stevens gulch. I did see a lot of vehicles parked at the top including a Subaru but I also saw a 4x4 being towed out bc it could not get up, so who knows... maybe it depends on the tires. Regardless, I put an extra 6 miles RT and a total of 4500 elevations gain. No need for snow shoes, micro spikes, or crampons. The snow pack is firm to walk on with boots and hardly any ice. Cold and windy at the summit. Sign says to bring 4L of water. I only had 2.5L and I ran out at the summit so I recommend taking more.

icy

Great hike, my first Colorado 14er! iked 10/26, did both Grays and Torrey's. My GPS clocked it at 17.3 kms (started halfway up Stevens Gulch Rd when my AWD veh got stuck on some ice). Took 7 hours, including some stops for lunch, breaks etc. Lower 1/3 was fantastic, middle 2/3 much more snow than I anticipated, top 3/3 extremely gusty. Garmin showed -2C, 44 knots wind but it was nice and sunny. I'm glad I brought microspikes, trekking poles, and gaiters. Snow shoes would have been appropriate - in some areas I sank above the knee. I met a few others on the trail who didn't reach summit due to the snow and wind. After crossing to Torrey's from the saddle, I opted to go down via Kelso Ridge which I do not recommend in snowy months. It's definitely a scramble/climb in some areas. Lots of loose scree and the snow covers the knife edge so footing is unsure. The trail isn't well-travelled and I picked the wrong route a couple times, had to backtrack up due to sudden drops. Going back down via the saddle to Torrey's Peak Trail would be totally fine. Overall a great hike if you like the snow and are prepared for the strong winds! I'll add photos

Hiked this today. It was the windiest, rockiest, ugliest hike I've ever done, and I've hiked around Colorado and around the world. No trees. No wildlife. The trail was loose rocks, landslike rocks, and/or ice depending on where you were. No wind bluffs so the wind was about 40 miles per hour and awful. The drive to the trailhead wasn't a road; rather, it was potholes, ice, and rocks. I don't get car sick and it made me want to barf. Natives may consider this an "easy" 14er but I've done far prettier and more interesting hikes at that altitude. I'd skip this one.

what a hike! we went up to grays first and the summit was extremely windy, but we decided to attempt torreys and so glad we did. the summit is a bit more fun than summitting grays. we loved the views and the cairn on top of torreys. surprisingly it was also less windy. if you only have time for one, I'd suggest torreys. total time about 6 hours but we're from the city so took plenty of stops to soak in the surroundings.

Incredible. Would be a great choice for a first fourteener.

Completed on 10/14/19. Access to the parking lot was easy in a 4x4 or AWD vehicle and do-able in a passenger car with some clearance and good tires. Snow was present on the trail but was compacted down. We did the trail without crampons or hiking poles. A few spots were a little slick. My garmin put our total distance at 8.7 miles.

Such a great hike! The view is incredible from grays peak! Easy for beginners. Trail has light ice already so be cautious.

One of the best fourteener duos out there! Fantastic for beginners!

Nothing like a 14er to remind you that you no longer live and breathe Colorado air hah! Beautiful peak.

Hiked Gray's on Oct 12th. Road to trailhead was icy from a recent snow but made it up in a Subaru Outback. Just had to punch it on a couple sections. I would try your best to not hike up from the interstate. We met some people just starting their hike at the trailhead by the time we were leaving. Slept at the trailhead overnight and got an early start at 5:30. Ended up taking our time and making it back at Noon due to a friend who had a rough go of altitude sickness. The wind was pretty rough but with layers it was tolerable. If your hands and feet get cold easily, I would suggest doubling up. Snow covered probably 30-40% of the trail but wasn't deep enough to cause any real problems. Great views all around from the valley to the summit.

Great pretty easy 14er, for a 14er. First 14 I ever did solo. You can not get lost on this trail, it’s really well marked so it was a great one to do alone. I would recommend doing grays and than Torrey’s. From what I know and have heard from others Grays is almost always super windy while Torrey’s is more protected. The saddle over was the roughest part due to the wind, but once at Torrey’s it was so epic, calm and hardly any wind. Torrey’s is steeper, but more protected, while Grays is not near as steep, less protected. Had poles and crampons but didn’t use either, even with snow just 3 days ago. Some parts were snow packed but super doable with good shoes. Bring layers as always. Gave 2 people a ride up the nasty potted road. (The road really is as bad as everyone says especially now that it has ice and snow). They were just starting to hike up the road from interstate at 2:00pm, which I highly do not recommend. Do yourself a favor and start early (14er 101). Overall great 14’er!

Great hike! We did it today, started out around 5.30am with only a couple other cars in the top parking lot. We made it up there easy in a Ford Expedition, and saw a couple Subaru up there too, but you'll like to have so clearance and 4wd to get up there! The hike was good, some snow, but the most was hard packed by orøther hikers at least on out way down

We finished both peaks today and it was frigid, but worth it. Great 14er for first timers. There was quite a bit of snow on the trails so we would recommend crampons and poles. The road was definitely a challenge getting there. Snow tires would help right now in addition to a vehicle with clearance.

This was my first experience climbing a 14er, and it was very enjoyable. It's worth the effort given the view from the top. Starting at 12:30 in the afternoon, I only had time for Grays Peak, it was certainly a good trip! Snow cover on the trail was intermittent, depending on where it had blown and melted. I made it up and down the snow-covered access road no problem with an AWD Highlander.

Hiked Torrey’s in August this year, and did Gray’s previously in September 2014. Gray’s was our first 14’er...Torrey’s our 4th. Both beautiful, difficult, incredibly rewarding experiences! Hard work, but worth every step! Sadly, everyone’s description of the road to the trailhead is as accurate for present day as it was for 2014.

First solo 14er I did, absolutely loved it!! I hit Torrey’s first and then grays! I have a Subaru Outback and that road getting to the trail head was a bit rough in a few spots, but she made it!

Hiked to Grays today. It was cold but the wind died down and made it a very pleasant summit and hike down. The trail is in good condition. Bring layers!! We are so lucky to have these crisp clear October days!! We gave 3 people a ride back to their cars which they had left down by the freeway. Our F150 pickup had no problem. You’ll want to have a vehicle with clearance to get all the way to the trailhead. And help each other out by picking folks up along the road! By the way, there’s a pit toilet at the trailhead and the trail is well-developed by USFS standards!

Absolutely amazing!! Definitely a difficult hike but well worth it for the view! Make sure to bring layers, gloves and beanies!!

I had an amazing experience hiking this trail and summiting two 14ers in one day. It's a challenging climb, but not technical. I hiked this trail on Monday 10/7, and everything that recent reviewers have mentioned about the high winds and the terrible condition of the road up to the trailhead is accurate. Even on a Monday, there were at least a dozen cars in the parking lot when I started at 7 AM, and even more when I returned to my car around 2 PM. I wasn't in a hurry and spent about 15 or 20 minutes at each summit and about that much time taking breaks along the way. The trail is beautiful right now with all the fall colors. Pretty much the entire trail lies above the tree line, so the views are spectacular throughout. I think the area is expecting snow later this week, so there's not much time left this season to get up on these peaks. If you have the chance to do it before the snow, go for it. It's so worth the effort.

Hiked grays and Torrey’s today! Epic hike. Took me 5.5 hours total. Windy and cold but with layers it wasn’t bad. Road in sucks but fine if you go slow and have decent clearance

Did Grays yesterday and it was a great climb. The wind and cold temps made it a little challenging but overall a great hike.