Grays Peak Trail

Grays Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

rock climbing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day.

Incredible views for this moderate hike. Summited both Grays and Torrey's in about 6 hours, including ~1 hour leisure time. Highly recommend

Spectacular views, but a little more crowded than I would like. Got to the trail at 6:15AM and parked about a mile down the dirt road from the actual trailhead.

Amazing hike with beautiful views of the Continental Divide and even Pikes Peak when you get up top. The dirt road to get to the upper lot is no joke. wouldnt recommend going up in a sedan although many people made it up in them. We parked where the road forks off into torreys peak road, it was just too rough for our ford focus. million dollar views and even saw close up mountain goats. be prepared for cold, windy weather and definitely start no later than 7am to beat afternoon storms and crowded parking. Started at 7:15am (after hiking 2 miles up the road starting at 6:00) reached the summit at 10:30 and was back to the parking lot by 12:30. unfortunately we did not summit torreys peak although i wouldve liked to.

Great hike. Instant rewarding views and saw some mountain goats close up! A hike I'll always remember. Began at 730am, finished 11:15am.

This is NOT a moderate hike...for beginners. This is also NOT a moderate hike for anyone from low elevation (so basically any of us from the Eastern United States). Altitude sickness is a very real danger on this trip. I was able to make it to the top with my family. We are from Florida. But we went painfully slow. I recommend getting acclimated before ever trying this. We did have one member of our group suffer from altitude sickness. It is NOT a joke and the first thing you need to do in that event is get them down the mountain. Even if it is only 50 yards. The lack of oxygen is rough.

That being said...this trail was beautiful. It was not difficult in terms of the actual path for anyone with hiking experience. I will reiterate that lack of air was the deciding factor in the difficulty. If you are acclimated, the hike is very pleasant and easy. Just get there early because it fills up fast. Take water. And plan to be off the mountain before 11:30 or 12 pm because of rain. It was worth every step and my first 14ker.

Do not ignore my warning about acclimation. It is a real danger and if you go too hard too fast...you can risk death or serious harm.

Hiked Grays and Torrey's. Good hike, took about 5.5 hours with minimal breaks. Went on a Wednesday hoping for a quiet trail, saw easily 100 people.